Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Presumably they can show HMRC the repayments coming in and they can just forget that whole Tribunal thing.

Totally.

It's like mega-win-win for der orkenkind. Auld Hector is off their backs and they pocket 48m spondoolies.

Strange that they've not done this yet. :whistle

Well if they had any of these letters i woud have thought the court case might have been a good time to produce them.

My apologies, I didn't realize you were party to the evidence. What are they waiting for given there is none? "Let's just spin this out for a while to keep everyone guessing, that blog on it is hilarious"?

Presumably they can show HMRC the repayments coming in and they can just forget that whole Tribunal thing.

Banks lend people money everyday that doesn't get paid back...Being bumped isn't a crime.. ;)

Banks lend people money everyday that doesn't get paid back...Being bumped isn't a crime.. ;)

Yes, but there's at the very least the assumption that banks actually get some of the money back from loans.

I wonder how much of these 'loans' Renegers doled out have been paid back? :rolleyes:

From what i am led to believe not very much...You just cant trust anybody these days ;)

To be fair, this time last year, you were led to believe that Chraig Whhyte was a billionaire, so it's entirely possibly Renegers are indeed calling in all of the loans.

Or none at all.

Thought the point of the case was everybody agreed the EBTs existed, and they are loans but it is whether the scheme in the Rangers case was administered properly - ie were they discretionary as required or were they regulary supplementing the acknowledged contractual salaries as a way to avoid tax.

Everybody has acknowledged they exist - its were they done right is the arguement.

And going by anything administered and requiring due diligence and care in Scottish Football in the last few years what are the odds on them being handled correctly............

Edited by MEADOWXI

Were the EBTs not given as 'Loans'? I thought the idea was you made these 'loans' out to the players but the understanding was they never paid them back.. The problem Rangers had was they gave the agents letters saying that the 'Loans' did not have to be paid back..which then made them payments...HMRCs problem is they coud not produce any of these letters during the Big Tax Case.

I think this is where your main issues lie, if the letter exists and states the 'Loans' do not have to be paid back then this letter could be deemed to be "contractual". If the "EBT letter" is not mentioned in the players contract then this could constitute the "double contract" scenario that is being investigated.

I think this is where your main issues lie, if the letter exists and states the 'Loans' do not have to be paid back then this letter could be deemed to be "contractual". If the "EBT letter" is not mentioned in the players contract then this could constitute the "double contract" scenario that is being investigated.

it is surely going to be impossible to prove double contracts unless someone involved in it comes clean?

even if rangers lose the big tax case the findings of the tribunal will remain private, the sfa can't ask hmrc to hand over evidence.

it is surely going to be impossible to prove double contracts unless someone involved in it comes clean?

even if rangers lose the big tax case the findings of the tribunal will remain private, the sfa can't ask hmrc to hand over evidence.

I think the Tax Tribunal Service/Chamber generally publish tribunal findings 10 working days after the two parties are informed, even in closed court cases such as this one.

You're right we would be right back to the Lennon suspension scenario. Rangers would bring in lawyers to say that EBTs were not playing contracts and were within the rules. The SFA would need to lawyer up costing untold thousands of pounds with no guarantee they would win any legal dispute.