Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Hmmm what tradition was this? Would this be the 'tradition' that was denied every year by the Rangers board.

No, I'm talking about the tradition that was admitted by your vice Chairman back in 1967

Then, in 1967, then vice Chairman Matt Taylor was questioned about Rangers no Catholics policy and he stated that he felt that they policy was

“part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support"<BR clear=all>

I noticed you only picked up on one point and didn't actually answer my question.

As for me being a hypocrite I dont see how you can reach that conclusion, I've never deviated from my belief that the OF are killing Scottish Football.

Hmmm what tradition was this? Would this be the 'tradition' that was denied every year by the Rangers board. Guess what religion Pat Lafferty was.. Don Kitchenbrands brother was a Roman Catholic Priest..and did John Spencer not end up playing for your club as well..Good wee Catholic lad that he was.

Pat Lafferty played for Rangers over 100 years ago.

Kitchenbrand was at Ibrox for a year. They forced him to keep his religion a secret before getting shot of him.

Spencer went to a Catholic school but he wasn't a Catholic.

Is that the sum total of your examples? :lol::P

No, I'm talking about the tradition that was admitted by your vice Chairman back in 1967

Then, in 1967, then vice Chairman Matt Taylor was questioned about Rangers no Catholics policy and he stated that he felt that they policy was

“part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support"<BR clear=all>

This quote is always trotted out...It is an utter nonsense. Rangers were never founded as a Protestant Boys club. Since 1989 our crowds on average have gone up considerably. So the Vice Chairman was wrong on every single point. He doesn't even get the year we were formed correct

Edited by No8.

Pat Lafferty played for Rangers over 100 years ago.

How could that possibly be? Didn't you know Rangers were founded as a Protestant Boys club in 1873 :P

Do you want the full list? I know it is out there but cant be bothered going through every player and their religion and how often they played. Hugh O'Neil was another that was taken on loan and was a known Roman Catholic and a celtic fan at that. ;)

I know you are desperate to get in the bit about players being sold for marrying Roman Catholics...I love that one. You could maybe get away with it if my wife didn't work with Bobby Russells Roman Catholic wife and i know Dave MacPhersons Roman Catholic brother in law. :P

Hmmm what tradition was this? Would this be the 'tradition' that was denied every year by the Rangers board. Guess what religion Pat Lafferty was.. Don Kitchenbrands brother was a Roman Catholic Priest..and did John Spencer not end up playing for your club as well..Good wee Catholic lad that he was.

See when you can name individual catholics from 60 years ago, it usually means somethings wrong.

This is what SAF claimed in his autobiography. He was hardly likely to write why Rangers got rid of him.

Why did they get rid? Too prone to kicking with his left foot, wrong school? ;)

Or was he just a bit crap?

This quote is always trotted out...It is an utter nonsense. Rangers were never founded as a Protestant Boys club. Since 1989 our crowds on average have gone up considerably. So the Vice Chairman was wrong on every single point. He doesn't even get the year we were formed correct

No, it's not an utter nonsense. The "protestant boys club" fable was the regular spin by Rangers anytime their signing policy was questioned, that and "tradition".

I think most of us are well aware that it was really Mr Primrose in 1912 who took Rangers down the sectarian path. The fact is in the 1960's there were many, not least in the Ibrox boardroom, who agreed with Mr Taylor that Rangers would lose a lot of support if they signed Catholics. In the 1960's there was no TV money clubs lived and died by punters paying at the gate, so that was a very real fear for any club. His comment was, far from being utter nonsense, a widely held belief. John Lawrence wouldn't even consider ending the "tradition", and Rangers lumbered on for another two decades of sectarian bigotry. Most believe the catalyst for change happened at the 1986 Mexico World Cup, when Graeme Souness posed a very simple question to Lawrence Marlborough,

"Do you want a sectarian club or a successful club?"

Within two years Marlborough was out, Murray was in , and a year later Mo Johnston was signed and from the darkness the beast that was Rangers clawed it's way into the light.

To dismiss Matt Taylors comments as utter nonsense just show's your ignorance of the period, the 1960's was a whole different world from the late 1980's.

This thread gets better and better. The longer this "institution" are teetering on the brink of annihilation the more entertainment for us and the greater the fees or the Scottish legal and financial advisory sectors. Meanwhile simpletons throw away they're hard earned cash into the Fuckwit Fund believing that it is helping the club.

To dismiss Matt Taylors comments as utter nonsense just show's your ignorance of the period, the 1960's was a whole different world from the late 1980's.

Were Rangers formed in 1873? ... Nope

Were Rangers formed as a Protestant Boys Club?...Nope

Did Rangers crowds fall away after it was widely recognised we would sign any player regardless of religion?...Nope

I think describing this much used quote as utter nonsense is being polite.

Meanwhile simpletons throw away they're hard earned cash into the Fuckwit Fund believing that it is helping the club.

A hard lesson learned. The latest idea i heard was some of the funds would be used to plant orange lillies in the waste ground across from the main stand..I got a few nasty PMs on Follow Follow for mocking those suggesting it. I have never been called a rabid Tim as often as i have over the last month or so

Were Rangers formed in 1873? ... Nope

Were Rangers formed as a Protestant Boys Club?...Nope

Did Rangers crowds fall away after it was widely recognised we would sign any player regardless of religion?...Nope

I think describing this much used quote as utter nonsense is being polite.

No they didn't, BECAUSE YOU WAITED A COUPLE OF DECADES BEFORE TAKING THE PLUNGE.

How stupid are you?

I would bet my house that Rangers would have lost fans had they signed a Catholic in 1967, and anybody who was around at the time would agree. 1989 was perfect timing you had half the ERngland World Cup squad in your dressing room, and you'd just dumped Celtic in the shit by signing a player they had paraded as there's a few weeks earlier. Matt Taylor wasn't making a forecast about what would happen 22 years later he was stating the case for that specific period of time.

As I said "To dismiss Matt Taylors comments as utter nonsense just show's your ignorance of the period, the 1960's was a whole different world from the late 1980's"

Matt Taylor's quote AT THE TIME was a widely held belief and a genuine fear for Rangers.

We know they weren't founded in 1873 and we know they weren't founded as Protestant Boys Club but thsi was Rangers chosen story. A fable they used often before everyone and their granny could Google the bloody truth.

One other thing, fuckwit, at the time 1960's Matt Taylor was probably right about Rangers being formed in 1873. Here are a couple of quotes from Follow Follow;

The European Super Cup which has traditionally been played for by the winners of the previous seasons' European Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup, was first played for as a challenge match organised by Willie Waddell to mark the clubs Centenary in 1973. The Dutch maestros Ajax were the opposition. Their brought their brand of " total football" to Ibrox for the first leg. On a cold Glasgow night, the crowd were thrilled as the visitors turned on the style and eventually ran out 3-1 winners. The Rangers played better in the return leg but were defeated 3-2 Ajax became the first winners of the Super Cup.

Other interesting items seen here are Sandy Jardine's Winners and Runners-up medals from the 1972 and 1967 European Cup Winners Cup Finals and the pair of beautiful silver goblets, presented to us by Partick Thistle to mark our Centenary in 1973.

Here's another wee quote that might interest you;

Despite this promising start, as every fan knows the official founding of the club did not take place until the following year. The date of 1873 is recognised because that was the year when the club had their first annual meeting and officers were elected. Rangers were becoming businesslike.

Now why dont you just f**k off!