Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Yes, so he uses the deductive method, and makes stupid hypothesis so as only to demonstrate they are true if cannot be shot down. ;)

"Stupid"? A pre-emptive value judgement based on prejudice, right there. For a hypothesis to be proved wrong does not imply that the thinking used to arrive at it was flawed, merely that the relevant information it was founded on may have been incomplete, or that external factors may have been missed. The result is as likely to prove the theory as to disprove it.

Plus, the plural is "hypotheses". Where you get the construction "so as only to demonstrate", God** alone knows.

*If he/she/it exists - perhaps a topic for next week's class. ;)

One man's terrorist is the next man's freedom fighter. 'Twas always thus - the Mandela effect, if you like. Or Washington, or Bolivar, Lynch or Castro...you can even go for Boudicca, if you like.

fs wrk, you could have sent that sentance to your pals at the green brigade. would have made more sense than this mess

CELTIC-vs-AC-MILAN-006.jpg

One man's terrorist is the next man's freedom fighter. 'Twas always thus - the Mandela effect, if you like. Or Washington, or Bolivar, Lynch or Castro...you can even go for Boudicca, if you like.

Goyathlay (Geronimo) is my favourite. :)

fs wrk, you could have sent that sentance to your pals at the green brigade. would have made more sense than this mess

CELTIC-vs-AC-MILAN-006.jpg

There's not a lot that anyone trying to defend either cheeks' "traditions" comes up with that makes any sense, in all honesty.

Yes, so he uses the deductive method, and makes stupid hypothesis so as only to demonstrate they are true if cannot be shot down. ;)

Graduated 1991 sir

Not sure that would give you the right to refer to the likes of Burke as "stupid", in all fairness.

No mate. Are you a cheeky chappy likable rogue on other forums :P ? I was alluding to one of the P&B RSC.

I'm whoever creates the most fun for the host body, wherever I go. :)

The P&B RSC? I thought they followed a club where everyone was welcome? Or is that the other lot? :unsure:

My original point was yours was based on utter bollix and no amount of word salad changes that ...

Ok, explain it then please.

What did you mean when you said "the Old Firm did not contribute anything" to sectarianism?

I'm genuinely intrigued by what you meant as I don't understand it.

1. Lot less? You said it was very likely that sectarianism would have ceased to exist, a ridiculous suggestion.

2. Except it did no such thing, it showed Rangers fans celebrating a goal while being being abused by a few hibs bigots, but of course it is just a Rangers / celtic problem.

What is the difference between 'surrender or you'll die' and 'up to our knees in Arab blood'?

Both seem pretty violent in your cotton wool world.

Ceased to exist in the context of problems such as racism. There will always be racists just as there will always be bigots, we simply wouldn't have a sectarian problem like we do just now.

One is about events hundreds of years ago and the song also goes on about guarding walls and not surrendering, sounds more about defending to be fair, the other is about casual violence happening in modern society.

Surely you get the difference?

I find neither offensive despite Derry's Walls clearly being sung to antagonise.

Do they not shout 'die! die!' in the break between lines? Seems pretty confrontational to me.

Edited by MikeyWellFan

No great surprise you make assumptions as to my reasons for having this debate.

I'm assuming nothing.

I'd just like an answer as to what you meant when you said "the Old Firm did not contribute anything" to sectarianism.

When I offered an example of one half of the OF contributing a great deal, you suggested I was deliberately misinterpreting what you said as the term covered two clubs.

So what did you mean? That collectively, they hadn't decided to do promote sectarianism as a matter of policy, or something else? It's really unclear what you meant and you're offering no attempts at clarity.

I think I know why.

mate, not calling Burke stupid, and your quote was apt. Up until Popper, although Aristotle and Burke made similar arguments that it is wrong to hypothesize and try and prove. It is correct to make outlandish hypotheses and try and disprove. This is deduction as opposed to induction. Popper is still viewed by all as the greatest philosophical scientist in 20th Century. My argument on Burke quote was really banter, but some reason to it . Your responses are great and enjoyed. Sorry for boring the rest. BTW in 1990 shortly before his death, I did have a glass of wine with Popper and 100 others ;)

Does anyone else remember that episode of 'The Office' when David Brent keeps nipping off to read up on Dostoyevsky, before returning to drop snippets into chat with the young guy whose learning he finds intimidating?

Yes they are a 'Catholic' club from origin, but they have not been exclusively Catholic for eons nor have they 'marketed' themselves as such. They are well known for having a strong Catholic following but that is simply tradition. I am simply asking .. when did the club last actively 'market themselves' as such ... it's a legitimate question given your statement ... :)

Tricolour on the collar of the tracksuit.

Next.

I find neither offensive despite Derry's Walls clearly being sung to antagonise.

Do they not shout 'die! die!' in the break between lines? Seems pretty confrontational to me.

Which is the one where they sing " f**k Bobby Sands, he's deid" kind of shoved inbetween the verse and they do these little hand actions?

Is it sectarian? Can't be as nobody was 'horsed out, never to return' at Ibrox on super-special-shame-the-armed-forces-day.