Roberto Martinez

Marshmallo

Especially against a Newcastle side still with plenty to play for. Seems he's finally found the formation and personell to play it, if they stay up, which I think they now will, he could actually push Wigan up the table for once.

Although they will probably only play in the last 6 games like usual yo stay up.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

He has done a marvellous job, and even his chairman deserves credit for not pulling the plug during their poor start to the season. Maybe it says a lot about having a chairman that actually knows about the game

If they could start next season in similar form, they might even finish above the likes of Liverpool!

They should be setting their sights higher than mid table dross like the scouse grief merchants.

Martinez is a legend. I have a friend who lives in Leigh (outside of wigan) and he said like everyone in Wigan/Leigh are all mancs. It's a shame really because Wigan play some cracking football and they have a really nice stadium but just struggle to fill it because they have 0 fans.

It's a shame really because Wigan play some cracking football

They play a lot of rancid piss football as well.

Which is why they had about 5 points until the last quarter of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bottom 3 again this season, and still articles like this nonsense somehow get published: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/wigan_athletic/s/1593662_dave-whelan-roberto-martinez-is-on-target-to-be-a-big-gun

I never see the same stuff about someone like Chris Hughton, it's always Martinez. Why is this?

Yes, there was general disbelief that he was being offered something paltry by Premiership terms, which was more than the £2.50/week Celtic tried to negotiate with.

Still, Kelvin Wilson is there now, so Celtic have clearly traded up :lol:

There's little question that Robson at his best for Celtic has been far far more impressive than Wanyama and Kayal. Not that they are bad players.

Always good to see an old thread reappear :P

It wasn't so much what Mixu was doing for him, but what Alexei Eremenko was doing for him.

Sammon scored 14 goals in 19 SPL games with Eremenko in the team. He scored 3 in 46 without him.

I'm late getting to this thread, but that is a fantastic statistic.

• 4 months later...

Bookies favourite for the Everton job. Can anybody explain why to me?

EDIT: It gets more ridiculous.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told BBC Radio 5 live he is resigned to losing Martinez, but believes he could do better than Everton.

"It's a battle that I will lose at some point," Whelan said. "It's a case of would Roberto choose to go to Everton or would he wait for one of the really big clubs?

"I'm not degrading Everton - they're a great club with great supporters - but is Everton regarded as one of the top European clubs? Well, unfortunately they're not."

Bookies favourite for the Everton job. Can anybody explain why to me?

EDIT: It gets more ridiculous.

Annoyingly, SSN were touting him for the Everton job just after Christmas. The first time I saw them doing it I was watching with one of my pals and we just turned and looked at one another, astounded by the sheer levels of conjecture.

Dave Whelan is clearly in love with Martinez. Why else would he come out with such ridiculous statements all the time?

" Roberto will be the manager of one of the top three clubs in Europe, I don't think there's any doubt about that?"

Aye I can see him replacing Mourinho at Madrid this summer, no doubt about it. He was even doubting that Everton were a big enough team for Martinez! It's ridiculous.

I mean he has done quite a good job keeping Wigan in the Premier League and the runs they have went on towards the end of the season to keep them up have been fantastic but they are also utter, utter shite for large parts of every season. And what about the managers that kept Wigan up in the three or four seasons before Martinez joined? Why were they not destined for the top? Has Martinez really done a better job?

He probably deserves a crack at a bigger team but I don't really see why Everton are after him.

Perhaps Whelan sees things in Martinez that he hasn't seen from his other managers and managers he served under himself, I don't look at Whelan and think that guys a fcuking idiot, Wigan remaining in the EPL for so long and reaching a major final is a minor miracle.

Archived