whisky lovers

Lighten up mate, have another Pepsi Max and Glenmorangie.

Blaghh! GlenM is crap as is Pepsi max...but cola and Whisky both have Vanila overtones , it's a natural match,,if only the Irish had discovered Cola the same time as Whisky it would be the 'classic match' and id probably have been castigated for not adding Cola! Was it ever thus?!

Blaghh! GlenM is crap as is Pepsi max...but cola and Whisky both have Vanila overtones , it's a natural match,,if only the Irish had discovered Cola the same time as Whisky it would be the 'classic match' and id probably have been castigated for not adding Cola! Was it ever thus?!

You've had too much Cola tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody tried this stuff?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1455062850.128454.jpg

Tempted to purchase a bottle at the weekend.

Did you get this Mozza, tried a penderyn yonks ago but wasnt impressed,was a total bog standard one though.

Currently trying a bourbon tonight for a change, Jim Beam 12,not too shabby to be honest.

Edited by gannonball

Tried giving up drink and failed but sticking to whisky only.

From being totally clueless I've developed a real taste for any Speyside single malt. If I'm drinking to get pissed then the peaty ones get ok after two or three and I can see why people like them now.

Must've tried around ten or so, reckon McCallum gold or Arran 14 year old are the best I've tried so far, Balvenie is not bad also.

Tried a smooth blended one and hated it, I actually like the burning sensation you get; seems like part of the experience. Also anyone that adds lemonade can do one.

Edited by D.A.F.C

• 2 weeks later...

decided to try 2 last night while out, the glenlivet founders reserve and laphroaig 10. Wasnt a fan of either, but the laphroaig.. when it said smoky, i didn't expect that!

is there any that would be recommended based on not liking those 2?

decided to try 2 last night while out, the glenlivet founders reserve and laphroaig 10. Wasnt a fan of either, but the laphroaig.. when it said smoky, i didn't expect that!

is there any that would be recommended based on not liking those 2?

Further to Invergowrie Arab's recommendations, Old Pulteney (12 year) is another affordable malt easily accessible in most supermarkets, and often on offer. Very sweet and I would recommend it to start you off. That's a Highland Malt, I'd also recommend a Macallan (they've done away with the 10 year in the UK so I think the Gold range is the closest to this?) in the Speyside range.

I did the same as you, I tried Laphroiag when I was trying to get into whisky. Bad idea! Definitely more of an acquired taste and I hope it hasn't put you off.

Got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban open just now.

Think it's my favourite dram ever tbh

Dying to try this and the Lasanta (sherry cask). Sainsbury's were doing a miniature range of four Glenmorangie malts (including these two) a couple of months back, but I don't know whether this was just for Christmas. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Currently have the following open:

Johnny Walker Black

Old Pulteney 12

Highland Park 12

Talisker 10

Dalmore 10

The Talisker is my favourite by a distance, but the Dalmore is certain unique, and not unpleasant. The others are a bit beige for me, and the Johnny Walker's now only really for mixing.

Must be an old Dalmore? Don't think they've done a 10 in quite a while. I'm a fan of most Dalmore's though. One of the River's was a let down (can't remember which one - Tay I think) and I find the King a bit too busy but generally I'm a big fan. The Cromartie & The Cigar especially.

Edited by Spain