whisky lovers

12 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

EDINBURGH WHISKY FRINGE 2022 - £45.00

Anyone ever been? Seems a bit pricey.

Interesting. Wonder if you get the entry fee back if you make an order, when there. Recent wine tasting did that.

I've been to the last few whisky fringe events. I think my first one was 2016. I really enjoy them, a good chance to try a whole range of whiskies and it's definitely guided what I buy (and what I don't buy). It's also a big social occasion now for my whisky pals and it's a day out we all try and get together for. 

Most tables give you a bit of chat, which I appreciate, and the chance to sample some whiskies that I either can't afford or I'm not sure whether are worth a punt. Longrow, James Eadie and Ardbeg Dark Cove are all whiskies that I've tried for the first time and gone on to buy. On the other hand, there have been bottlings from Dalmore and Arran that I thought I would like and decided against buying after sampling. 

The ticket price includes £10 off a bottle, either that you buy on the day or valid for the next month at Royal Mile Whiskies. However, I'm pretty sure the price the first year I went was £30, and it's now 50% more expensive for my fifth visit.

Got tickets for the Friday this year.

I don't think £45 for access to tasting drams that you couldn't sniff any other time is too much personally. Especially with the tenner off a bottle. Done a few of these festivals and they are always brilliant. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished off a bottle of Jura Winter's Edition tonight which I think I was given as a Christmas present. I was going to say it was much nicer than most NAS but I see the price tag is a good bit more than your standard supermarket NAS fare. What surprised me more is there seems to be a market for selling empty bottles. c5ea3c726b4a15694394151cf6c80d04.jpg

16 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I finished off a bottle of Jura Winter's Edition tonight which I think I was given as a Christmas present. I was going to say it was much nicer than most NAS but I see the price tag is a good bit more than your standard supermarket NAS fare. What surprised me more is there seems to be a market for selling empty bottles. c5ea3c726b4a15694394151cf6c80d04.jpg

Is there not some left in the bottom of that?!

Is there not some left in the bottom of that?!
I took the picture before I poured the last out!

Anyway, I'm just walked through World of Whisky at the airport but I'm on a domestic flight so the choice is limited. I'm flying abroad and will probably treat myself then but they did have a 70cl bottle of Deanston 10 yo red wine cask finish available to all at £35. I know a few on here rave about Deanston but I've never had any - should I be splashing the cash?

24 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Anyway, I'm just walked through World of Whisky at the airport but I'm on a domestic flight so the choice is limited. I'm flying abroad and will probably treat myself then but they did have a 70cl bottle of Deanston 10 yo red wine cask finish available to all at £35. I know a few on here rave about Deanston but I've never had any - should I be splashing the cash?

For £35, absolutely.

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

If it's £35 I'd say why not? The red wine finish should keep it palatable. Decent age statement which I missed before the edit as well.

Edited by GiGi

On a separate note, I've cracked open the Deanston mentioned above. I normally go for peaty whisky these days but this is fabulously full-bodied. I usually add a drop of water but this doesn't need it (dangerous at 46%) and when I added a drop to the remains of the glass it was diminished.

7e3c5f11387532e1990d17a42a650ec8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm not one for my Internet speak - what does OTW mean? I've always liked Jura but noticed a lot of NAS recently (particularly in Duty Free this week). Jura 10 is damn fine and worth buying (at a decent price) in my opinion.

I’d presume One To Watch, although I don’t think it’s internet speak as much as here-speak. I base this on nothing more then OFTW meaning one for the watching on here, although that’s usually deviants rather than drams. 

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's worth the 20 odd quid you can get it for.

Jura are on the way back though OTW for the next few years. 

The UKs no.1 selling single malt. 

The 14yo Rye finish is worth it if you can get in on deal. Asda had it at £30 recently. 

Edited by V.Aye.R

My Father in law retired in the past few weeks. Away up north with the family this week and he's brought the Tomatin we got him for his 60th.

I packed a 30yo grain in an attempt to compete on age! Was a good night last night 😀🥃3️⃣0️⃣

IMG_20220618_222844.jpg

Edited by V.Aye.R

I'm going on holiday later this week and had a wee look at what's available when going for a domestic flight last week (when I got the marvellous Deanston mentioned above). I was like a kid in a sweet shop who's not allowed to buy anything!
I'm thinking of treating myself and have always been a fan of Bunnahabhain and they had 3 NAS available- anyone tried An Cladach, Cruach Mhona or Eirigh Na Greine (£50, £54 and £46 respectively for litre bottles).
I might just go for the Ardbeg 10 but it seems to have jumped up in price to £52 for the litre.60d141edf5b067969940430c470ae1b7.jpg

An Cladach is a liter of Cask Strength Bunna for 50 quid so you can't really go wrong.

It was solid but unspectacular to begin with and took me about almost 4 years to drink which tells you how far it was up my priority list but I was really enjoying the last third of the bottle and did that in in a few weeks so definitely benefitted from a bit of air in the bottle to take strength out of it and let the flavour come through.

Èirigh na Grèine is a favourite of mine. If you are into red fruit, salty, sweet, peppery type of whisky you will like it.

Both are unpeated but there is definitely smoke and body come through the latter.