whisky lovers

On 29/11/2022 at 18:48, Bairnardo said:

Wondering aloud... Is there better value to be had amongst the independent bottlers? Aged distillery bottlings are getting stupid, as has been spoken about on here, and most of their NAS stuff is shite.

Independent stuff isn't a market I have really explored and would be unsire how to sniff out quality.

Not really. 

I was a member of a wee club with some industry insiders, collectors, auctioneers etc anything that's decent they are ITK about months in advance.

I've seen Berry Bros, Thompson Bros and G&Ms go in 15 minutes.

If anything the independents are worse as they can't afford bottles on shelves.

Your best bet with the indepdents is to find a few distilleries you like that are reasonably unfashionable.

5 years ago nobody gave a shit about Clynelish, now it's the new Springbank.

If you like Blair Atholl, and I do, there's always independent bottles to be had. Same with Caol Ila, Mannochmore, Glen Grant for me.

The best thing about SMWS is you can try out lots of different distilleries and find stuff you like. Not cheap drams bit cheaper than buying bottle 

If you go to Queen St you don't have to be a member to drink on ground floor

On 29/11/2022 at 18:48, Bairnardo said:

Wondering aloud... Is there better value to be had amongst the independent bottlers? Aged distillery bottlings are getting stupid, as has been spoken about on here, and most of their NAS stuff is shite.

Independent stuff isn't a market I have really explored and would be unsire how to sniff out quality.

Having  a drink of this one just now.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/186890/ben-nevis-2012-dt

Decent prices from them. Worth a try. 

12 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Cracked it tonight. A lot going on in the glass here. 

An absolute steal at £19, you can see why its the no. 1 bourbon in the US. 

Agreed, it’s only the finish that’s it’s weakest spot imo,  I would pick it over a lot more expensive ones, brilliant value.

If you haven’t tried Rare Breed it takes it a stage further in quality, doubling the price, but worth it and still value for the quality of it.

On 09/12/2022 at 15:31, SweeperDee said:

£140, worth every penny. Was saving it for Hogmanay but decided to treat myself. 

8EAA7B91-E4AE-4F21-8E0D-1703B8B63833.jpeg

Haven’t tried it, but sounds a cracker. Unfortunately it’s 40 quid over the secret Santa budget, so will not be adorning the Foot residence this side of the recession. 

I got given a bottle of Tamnavulin last week. I mean, it’s been rinsed, but it’s the closest I’ve been to pouring a bottle down the sink.

Edited by The Other Foot

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Been given a bottle clyneleish that apparently might be worth selling. 

No idea why. To add to the Highland park I was give that's worth couple hundred.

Rather the cash thanks 

Might be useful for pricing - https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/clynelish-single-malt-scotch-whisky

2 hours ago, moniton said:

I'm buying a gift for somebody who did me a favour, he like a Speyside. I want to spend around £50 and am thinking of either Glenallachie 12 or Mannochmore 12, I've never tasted these. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

If it’s the Flora & Fauna bottling of Mannochmore I had it years ago and remember my overall impression being ‘this is why they don’t really bottle it on its own’. Not bad, just not a whole lot to it. 

2 hours ago, moniton said:

I'm buying a gift for somebody who did me a favour, he like a Speyside. I want to spend around £50 and am thinking of either Glenallachie 12 or Mannochmore 12, I've never tasted these. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Can't go wrong with the Glenallachie