whisky lovers

11 hours ago, gannonball said:

I'm debating whether to get the ferry and cycle over to Jura to the distillery and do one of the paps. Not a massive fan of Jura whisky but still want to tick it off the distillery list.

It’s a great island to visit, Craighouse is nice and it’s a cracking distillery to visit and if you are feeling fit you can cycle to Barnhill at the North end of the island.

On 25/05/2023 at 21:10, gannonball said:

I'm debating whether to get the ferry and cycle over to Jura to the distillery and do one of the paps. Not a massive fan of Jura whisky but still want to tick it off the distillery list.

The warehouse tasting is worthwhile, the mass release whisky isnt the best version of what it can be but the stuff straight out the cask is a treat. 

The ferry crossing is good too, it has to point about 45degrees away from where it moors as the current is that strong. Nice wee view of caol ila too. IMG_20221014_164711.thumb.jpg.83de9ae4c4b1726d51f2c5bc47ec7590.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2023 at 21:10, gannonball said:

Did you go to Jura in the end?   I love it there; the beach not far north of Craighouse is a great spot.  Never climbed the paps myself; I hear they are quite challenging.  Back on Islay, this is (was) one of my favourite views in Scotland/the world, taken just north of Bunnahabhain looking over to Jura about ten years ago - I believe the wreck has mostly collapsed into the sea now.

_IGP4018.JPG

Edited by VictorOnopko

I was hoping my fellow P&bers could help me. I am getting ready for my friends wedding this Saturday and to my delight I found a nearly full hip flask in my bag of kilt stuff, the only problem is I can't remember what whisky it is.

I remember filling it up for another friend's wedding in 2021 but as he was a bit of a whisky connoisseur I had ample whisky at said wedding so didn't touch have a need for the full hipflask.

My original thought was Laphroaig as it's a smoky whisky yet still smooth and I had in the past had a Laphroaig Select bottle, but I'd recently bought a bottle of that on offer in Tesco which I've tried tonight and it's too sweet to be the one in my hipflask. 

My other thought is a Bunnahabain as I did have a bottle of that before but can't remember which one, from googling maybe the Stiuireadair.

I have a bottle of Jura rum cask in the house which it definitely isn't, but I did have a bottle of Jura 10 year old before which it may be.

I also have a Glennfiddoch 12 year old in the house which I knew it wasn't but had a dram anyway.

So I don't know, but I've had a wonderful night trying to figure out

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2023 at 23:27, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I was hoping my fellow P&bers could help me. I am getting ready for my friends wedding this Saturday and to my delight I found a nearly full hip flask in my bag of kilt stuff, the only problem is I can't remember what whisky it is.

I remember filling it up for another friend's wedding in 2021 but as he was a bit of a whisky connoisseur I had ample whisky at said wedding so didn't touch have a need for the full hipflask.

My original thought was Laphroaig as it's a smoky whisky yet still smooth and I had in the past had a Laphroaig Select bottle, but I'd recently bought a bottle of that on offer in Tesco which I've tried tonight and it's too sweet to be the one in my hipflask. 

My other thought is a Bunnahabain as I did have a bottle of that before but can't remember which one, from googling maybe the Stiuireadair.

I have a bottle of Jura rum cask in the house which it definitely isn't, but I did have a bottle of Jura 10 year old before which it may be.

I also have a Glennfiddoch 12 year old in the house which I knew it wasn't but had a dram anyway.

So I don't know, but I've had a wonderful night trying to figure out

Lagavulin 16 would be my guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently opened 2 Kilkerrans this week. 

1 Bourbon Cask, 1 Sherry. 

Ive got to say, the Sherry is miles in front. Wasnt impressed with the first pours off either of them. Second sitting I poured a good 90mins before I went to sip them. 

Neither to write home about tbh, a sign of the times where you're forced to buy in advance of any review due to the hype. 

Kilkerran a distillery for me thats underwhelmed more than impressed. 

Edit- both 8yo Cask Strength 

Edited by V.Aye.R

On 28/05/2023 at 09:38, V.Aye.R said:

The warehouse tasting is worthwhile, the mass release whisky isnt the best version of what it can be but the stuff straight out the cask is a treat. 

The ferry crossing is good too, it has to point about 45degrees away from where it moors as the current is that strong. Nice wee view of caol ila too. IMG_20221014_164711.thumb.jpg.83de9ae4c4b1726d51f2c5bc47ec7590.jpg

On 13/06/2023 at 13:58, VictorOnopko said:

Did you go to Jura in the end?   I love it there; the beach not far north of Craighouse is a great spot.  Never climbed the paps myself; I hear they are quite challenging.  Back on Islay, this is (was) one of my favourite views in Scotland/the world, taken just north of Bunnahabhain looking over to Jura about ten years ago - I believe the wreck has mostly collapsed into the sea now.

_IGP4018.JPG

Apologies for late reply I did not got to Jura in the end . Went to open day at Bowmore and Kilchoman which were brilliant. As I did little research I wasn't aware you just turn up they give you a free glencairn glass for nowt and a few nips also, me and my pal were a bit confused thinking we had forgotten to pay somewhere. I also tried to have an oyster for the first time at Bowmore where you could get one and a nip for 2 quid, after much wretching my body gave up and just settled for a nip in the end. 

I also did a warehouse tour at Lagavulin where you drank about half a dozen nips straight from the cask. The strange kicker was that none of them were available to buy after so no upsell which I was quite surprised at. Popped in to Laphroaig also but it was shut as they had there open day the day before sadly. Also popped in to Bruichladdich which was lovely.

I didn't really go for any of the feis isle bottlings in the end as they are a bit of a rip now but I got two lovely bottles at an independent event at a community hall in Port Ellen. One was Finlaggan port cask and the other was an Islay elements one which is mainly Bunnhabhain and at cask strength in sherry butt, delicious. Also randomly picked up a Muir of Ord bottling at Lagavulin which is hard to come by.

As for the whole trip I will certainly be back for Feis Isle,  which is why on the  day going home I deliberately didn't go to one of my faves who were having their open day (Bunnhabhain) to make sure I will go back, along with a jaunt over to Jura. Can't decided if my enjoyment of it was rose tinted by the outstanding weather It was genuinely one of the best wee trips I have ever done, great wee buzz about the place with people from all over and tbh very few Scottish which I was a tad surprised at. We don't know what we have got on our doorstep sometimes.

Edited by gannonball

I've just started drinking Whisky (I'm almost 50) and wasn't sure where to start. I'm a big fan of drambuie so I picked up Monkey shoulder as it said on the label it was spicy and it's really nice with a drop of ginger ale or on its own. Just looking for pointers where to go from here. Obviously monkey shoulder is a blended whisky and was looking for a similar but not too expensive malt to try. 

Thanks in advance. 

10 minutes ago, stimpy said:

I've just started drinking Whisky (I'm almost 50) and wasn't sure where to start. I'm a big fan of drambuie so I picked up Monkey shoulder as it said on the label it was spicy and it's really nice with a drop of ginger ale or on its own. Just looking for pointers where to go from here. Obviously monkey shoulder is a blended whisky and was looking for a similar but not too expensive malt to try. 

Thanks in advance. 

God, where to start?! I, too, am a learner (aged 65)!

In my opinion, single malts are the way to go. Personally, I enjoy the peaty Islay whiskies. The Strathspeys are, generally, sweeter and easier.

I think I am learning that one gets what one pays for! Enjoy your exploration!

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Thanks in advance. 

If your starting out I would suggest Auchentoshan or Jura that can be got on offer easily by the supermarkets or Amazon. I'm really not a fan of them these days but starting off I really enjoyed them if your looking to move on to drinking with an ice cube or two rather than a mixer. Either way enjoy your journey and let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Thanks in advance. 

For me, I just started with the usual suspects which are, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Old Pultney. These bottles will likely all be £25ish in supermarkets and they’re all the easier skelping drams that are very pleasant, without being anything spectacular. That will give you a flavour of the burn that comes. I’m then got a taste for whisky with them and broadened my horizons from there. I now must have about 30 bottles. Buying a bottle of any of them won’t break bank and give you an idea of whether you fancy exploring it, if you do then maybe get in some miniatures from different regions and you’ll taste the differences each region offers, and then can explore further if certain regions peak your interest. 

3 hours ago, stimpy said:

Thanks in advance. 

Never too late! 

Go to your local tesco and get any of the below, budget dependant....

Bunnahabhain Stuiradeur £32

Tomatin Legacy £25

Tamnavulin Double cask £22

I think they'll all be winners as they're easy going, flavour led single malts. 

Edit - spoiler alert, the price does make a difference here although £22 for Tamnavulin is great value. 

Edited by V.Aye.R

11 hours ago, stimpy said:

Thanks in advance. 

Get some glencairn glasses, they are far better than the big tumblers. Try the supermarket whiskies against each other then try, try again.  Have 3 or 4 drams in a row and taste the little differences between them then keep going and going...

20 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Email in from Master of Malt. Dalwhinnie Winter Gold on offer for £43. Its regularly on offer in supermarkets for about the £25 mark. Dare say some poor soul will buy it. 

No doubt, I have been there. Think you are getting a bargain then find the real price on other sites.  

On 17/07/2023 at 00:00, V.Aye.R said:

Never too late! 

Go to your local tesco and get any of the below, budget dependant....

Bunnahabhain Stuiradeur £32

Tomatin Legacy £25

Tamnavulin Double cask £22

I think they'll all be winners as they're easy going, flavour led single malts. 

Edit - spoiler alert, the price does make a difference here although £22 for Tamnavulin is great value. 

Cardhu Gold Reserve is also generally a good buy at less than £30.

Anyway, I've just finished a bottle of Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na which I got at duty free this time last year. Duty free can be hit and miss but I tend to check a few reviews if I have time (there were three similarly priced Bunnahabhain) and this was tremendous. Sadly, it wasn't available this year but I'll report back on my alternative purchase. 

20230722_225608.jpg

On 16/07/2023 at 13:37, Bold Rover said:

God, where to start?! I, too, am a learner (aged 65)!

In my opinion, single malts are the way to go. Personally, I enjoy the peaty Islay whiskies. The Strathspeys are, generally, sweeter and easier.

I think I am learning that one gets what one pays for! Enjoy your exploration!

My fav reasonably priced is the Balvennie Doublewood 12 year old. Here in US and A it retails for about $50-60 so a bit above the cheapest but real quality.

On 16/07/2023 at 20:21, stimpy said:

Thanks in advance. 

Blends could be a good entry point. Douglas Laing and Compass Box both do a range of blends. Compass Box tell you what is in each one on their website, so if you find one you like you can try a bottle from one of the distilleries that make it up. Douglas Laing do their blends by region which might give you a pointer too.

For single malt as a starting point, in addition to what has been suggested already, Aberlour 12, Ardbeg Wee Beastie, Bruichladdich Classic Laddie can be found around £40 in big supermarkets. I'd also recommend Glencadam 10, which is generally £40 and a great value dram. Need to visit a dedicated whisky shop or website though.