whisky lovers

39 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I’ve got the 01 & and I think the 02, I’ve just looked at them though on the shelf 🫣

I really struggle opening a bottle when it’s a first release and sold out, although I’ll never sell it.

Think I've tried the 04 and I had a bottle of 05, I actually checked and I have another bottle that's just called AD as well (think they dropped the numbering).

If you don't want to open either I'd buy one of the newer unnumbered bottles to give it a try.

Hit The Pot Still when I was over and being brave I asked for something smoky and peated as that usually doesnt appeal to me. He advised these two and they were fab

image.thumb.png.84423472d9ec8e3101001dd31908ade9.png

Had a £30 voucher for The Whisky Shop given to me as a gift so went into Buchanan Galleries and asked for something similar. He sold me... need to put it on another post.

Edited by jimbaxters

23 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Ooft a distillery exclusive? Need to see the report card for that when it gets cracked.

It's a rum cask finish. Was a straight choice between that or a peated sherry. Had I the foresight to have an empty with me, they had a fill your own cask sat in the shop. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's a rum cask finish. Was a straight choice between that or a peated sherry. Had I the foresight to have an empty with me, they had a fill your own cask sat in the shop. 

Did they not have empties for that purpose? Clydeside had some for that reason.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Did they not have empties for that purpose? Clydeside had some for that reason.

They might have buy by the time I clocked it my heart (and my grubby wee paw) were settled on the rum cask effort. The empty bottle being available would have resulted in me coming out with not one but two

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They might have buy by the time I clocked it my heart (and my grubby wee paw) were settled on the rum cask effort. The empty bottle being available would have resulted in me coming out with not one but two

Got you. Thought they might have been cutting off their nose etc to be green.

Three 3 x 375ml boxes available for easy purchase locally:

1) Glen Fohdry; a French oak, an American oak and 12 year.

2) Shieldaig; a Finest Old, a 12 year and a Sherry cask.

3) Grangeston; a Bourbon cask, a Rum cask and a Sherry cask.

Any thoughts on these as regards a little selection of reasonable quality, or are all just typical exported boxed set shite?

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Three 3 x 375ml boxes available for easy purchase locally:

1) Glen Fohdry; a French oak, an American oak and 12 year.

2) Shieldaig; a Finest Old, a 12 year and a Sherry cask.

3) Grangeston; a Bourbon cask, a Rum cask and a Sherry cask.

Any thoughts on these as regards a little selection of reasonable quality, or are all just typical exported boxed set shite?

Never heard of those brands, assume they're made for export? 

5 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Never heard of those brands, assume they're made for export? 

That was the feeling I got. The first two claim to be Speyside Single Malts, the last a Highland Single Malt. I did some more digging and I can find only a Glen Fohdry Malt Co., Bellshill…the other two seem to be (respectively) an excess from an undisclosed Speyside distiller and Quality Spirits Intl/William Grant and Sons. Seems it’s all cheap, export crap, thanks for confirming what I suspected.

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That was the feeling I got. The first two claim to be Speyside Single Malts, the last a Highland Single Malt. I did some more digging and I can find only a Glen Fohdry Malt Co., Bellshill…the other two seem to be (respectively) an excess from an undisclosed Speyside distiller and Quality Spirits Intl/William Grant and Sons. Seems it’s all cheap, export crap, thanks for confirming what I suspected.

Was in the US last week on holiday and was quite stunned at the price on any non-American alcohol. Presumably there are very high taxes on it? 

(Decent) whisky in particular stood out as being much more expensive than at home. 

35 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Was in the US last week on holiday and was quite stunned at the price on any non-American alcohol. Presumably there are very high taxes on it? 

(Decent) whisky in particular stood out as being much more expensive than at home. 

Just pulling a recent price list for my local store, these are for a 750ml:

Glenfiddich 12 Year Single $46.97

Laphroaig Quarter Cask Islay Single $78.94

Aborlour 16 Year Double Cask Single $115.65

Dalmore 18 Year Highland Single $347.88

Now, compare that to the blends and Bourbons…Jameson Irish is $26.28, Jack Daniel’s is $23.13 and a local distiller TX (wink) Blended Whiskey is $31.97. There was a 25% tariff on Scotch between 2019 and 2021, but that’s gone now, so all that’s left are the Local, State and Federal taxes. Right now, that’s $2.14 for a 750ml, 80 proof bottle Federal Liqour tax, plus $0.48 Texas State Liquor tax ($2.40 per US gallon), 6.25% State Sales tax and 2% Local Sales tax. The sales taxes aren’t in those totals above, so the “cheap” Glendiddich above runs you $50.85 out the door, while the Dalmore sets you back $376.58.

Different states have different tax regimes, with two (Wyoming and New Hampshire) having no taxes (sell all liquor through “official” stores), and the others starting as low as $2 (Missouri) per US gallon (3.8l) to as high as $35.31 per US gallon (Washington State). The “fun” bit about those varying tax rates is how much Drink Driving it generates in border areas between certain states.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just pulling a recent price list for my local store, these are for a 750ml:

Glenfiddich 12 Year Single $46.97

Laphroaig Quarter Cask Islay Single $78.94

Aborlour 16 Year Double Cask Single $115.65

Dalmore 18 Year Highland Single $347.88

Now, compare that to the blends and Bourbons…Jameson Irish is $26.28, Jack Daniel’s is $23.13 and a local distiller TX (wink) Blended Whiskey is $31.97. There was a 25% tariff on Scotch between 2019 and 2021, but that’s gone now, so all that’s left are the Local, State and Federal taxes. Right now, that’s $2.14 for a 750ml, 80 proof bottle Federal Liqour tax, plus $0.48 Texas State Liquor tax ($2.40 per US gallon), 6.25% State Sales tax and 2% Local Sales tax. The sales taxes aren’t in those totals above, so the “cheap” Glendiddich above runs you $50.85 out the door, while the Dalmore sets you back $376.58.

Different states have different tax regimes, with two (Wyoming and New Hampshire) having no taxes (sell all liquor through “official” stores), and the others starting as low as $2 (Missouri) per US gallon (3.8l) to as high as $35.31 per US gallon (Washington State). The “fun” bit about those varying tax rates is how much Drink Driving it generates in border areas between certain states.

Interesting to read the complexities in the taxes etc. 

If only it were as simple as, say, buying a machine gun. 

I think we don't realise quite how liberal we are with Booze laws etc. 

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

Got a bottle of this after doing a Glen Scotia/Loch Lomond tasting which I used to turn my nose up to a bit. A very decent dram for the sub 80 quid market

glen-scotia-victoriana-cask-strength-whisky.jpg

Sampled Victoriana a few times and always been impressed.

Loch Lomond - always heard negative things about them 4/5 years ago so never really explored beyond whisky festivals and the like.

On 12/08/2023 at 22:02, gannonball said:

Got a bottle of this after doing a Glen Scotia/Loch Lomond tasting which I used to turn my nose up to a bit. A very decent dram for the sub 80 quid market

glen-scotia-victoriana-cask-strength-whisky.jpg

Victoriana has fairly gone up in price, its really good stuff but I struggle to pay £75 for something that was £20 cheaper 18months ago. 

The GS Double Cask is cracking whisky, the Rum cask edition was really bang average though. 

A lot of the best stuff is unaffordable now so its very much still a hit or miss distillery. A try before you buy.