whisky lovers

Just now, TxRover said:

Found a nice little set that seems a decent enough selection to get a little back into the game. I’m planning neat with a few drops of water, unless someone has a better idea.

IMG_7934.thumb.jpeg.19455b5fc5f133b883bd46fbc8b21d6e.jpeg

Yeah, post it to me ta. I've not had clynelish for years but can remember really liking the 14.

On 13/08/2023 at 22:22, V.Aye.R said:

Victoriana has fairly gone up in price, its really good stuff but I struggle to pay £75 for something that was £20 cheaper 18months ago. 

The GS Double Cask is cracking whisky, the Rum cask edition was really bang average though. 

A lot of the best stuff is unaffordable now so its very much still a hit or miss distillery. A try before you buy. 

Yeah Ive been doing a bit more tastings as of late and  it's opened my eyes up to other distilleries. Some I've gone to I've not rated at all but they can all pull a decent one out. I've moved away from value purchases for bottles unless I know it's decent or heard about it through word of mouth.

Got this in keswick. £33. Local supermarket (booths) was charging £40, but a gift shop had it cheaper. Really nice.  Could have had a Penderyn for £28, but not a fan of the Welsh stuff.  Bought a miniature the day before to test it. Really nice. First time I've purchased stuff made in England, and I'll probably get one of their others.

20230818_193724.jpg

20230818_193754.jpg

IMG_20230818_224428.thumb.jpg.61693744baeb76464a5b773094536876.jpg

Ardnamurchan because I saw it and I was jealous. The dark one is a 9 year old Caol Ila sherry finish. Inside of the barrel must have been like treacle. 

On 18/08/2023 at 16:59, V.Aye.R said:

Aw man. Caol ila is my favourite indy. Bet its Sue Perb

Got to try the Caol Ila 12 today, and it is a lovely dram. Much less peppery than the Talksker 10, with a more flavourful mouth as well. Less burning, more notes, and a lovely warm feeling afterwards. A very nice single malt Scotch! Now really looking forward to the 14.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, stimpy said:

My latest acquisition, £32 from Amazon. Benefitted from sitting a while in the glass. Enjoying it so far and definitely thirty bucks well spent. IMG_20230909_222828.thumb.jpg.a6ceaf83f85fdb327a1deda856cbd58a.jpg

Glad to hear that, as my bottle is on subscription to arrive next week too. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Glad to hear that, as my bottle is on subscription to arrive next week too. 

It's really nice, the first sip from the new bottle is all alcohol but the next is just beautiful and it gets better as you go along. 

• 2 weeks later...

'Talisker week' on Amazon, looks like a few reasonable deals there for those interested.

Edit to add there's a lot of Talisker there but there's also loads of other coastal malts.

Edited by GiGi

On the Talisker week, I've had a slow evening so decided to see which deals were actually any good. Picks for me:

• Oban and Lagavulin distillers editions seem a decent price drop (in 2023 prices)
  • Clynelish a bit under the usual
  • Talisker Port Ruighe is the clear winner at £45, it's not really appeared any lower than that in the last year. Can't remember if I've tried it so might go for that.

8 minutes ago, GiGi said:

On the Talisker week, I've had a slow evening so decided to see which deals were actually any good. Picks for me:

• Oban and Lagavulin distillers editions seem a decent price drop (in 2023 prices)
  • Clynelish a bit under the usual
  • Talisker Port Ruighe is the clear winner at £45, it's not really appeared any lower than that in the last year. Can't remember if I've tried it so might go for that.

Cheers, I had noticed there was a shedload of Diageo stuff actually. 

The Port of Grangemouth is absolutely rammed full of Glass that they've overbought.