whisky lovers

On 10/10/2023 at 22:31, invergowrie arab said:

Any views on the Hearach? Haven't opened mine yet but have a batch 2 and an 8.

I have a six, but haven't opened it yet.  We're going to a pub that's having a special Hearach night on Monday so hopefully I'll taste a few of the varieties there.

(Interesting fact...when I was typing this, "Hearach" autocorrected to "headache"... autocorrect may now be both sentient and psychic.)

21 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I haven't had Port Ruighe in about 5 years but I really enjoyed it.

I see it's under 50 on Amazon and certainly worth that. I think I'll get it.

Well you've talked me into buying it at £46 on Subscribe and Save. Not hugely keen on peated whisky but if the Ledaig red wine finish works then a port finish Talisker seems worth the punt. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Well you've talked me into buying it at £46 on Subscribe and Save. Not hugely keen on peated whisky but if the Ledaig red wine finish works then a port finish Talisker seems worth the punt. 

I thought it stood up very well to the Ledaig Rioja I was drinking at the time and was half the price.

Red wine/port/sherry and smoke seem to go together very well. The wine rounds of the harsh edges for me and you are left with something which is more fruity BBQ sauce or venison with cranberry and redcurrants than your typical islay.

Perfect winter whiskies 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I thought it stood up very well to the Ledaig Rioja I was drinking at the time and was half the price.

Red wine/port/sherry and smoke seem to go together very well. The wine rounds of the harsh edges for me and you are left with something which is more fruity BBQ sauce or venison with cranberry and redcurrants than your typical islay.

Perfect winter whiskies 

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbc2d9569-24c3-39f3-954a-35fa893266f2.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0&resize=1180

11 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I have a six, but haven't opened it yet.  We're going to a pub that's having a special Hearach night on Monday so hopefully I'll taste a few of the varieties there.

(Interesting fact...when I was typing this, "Hearach" autocorrected to "headache"... autocorrect may now be both sentient and psychic.)

Cracked the 2 tonight. Loads of cereal on the nose but tastes stronger than the 46%. Needs water.

Quality spirit but maybe touch too dry just now to be a brilliant dram.  Keen to see how good it is with 10 years in an ex-bourbon barrel though.

That's neck pour though so it might mellow and get a bit sweeter with heat and air.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I went on a holiday last week; it was only the second time I'd taken a flight since the pandemic (didn't check the duty free booze last year), flying from Glasgow airport.

I wanted a bottle of decent malt for friends we were staying with in Czechia, budget around £60, and was disappointed by the options.  I fondly remembered a selection of 2 bottles for £90 (maybe even less than that?) not all that long ago, with some very decent stuff in it, and getting Laphroaig PX for £50 (now £85 or something). 

This time I ended up choosing between Old Pulteney 13 - in retrospect maybe should have got that as OP is always great and it's an unusual bottling age - Bunna Eirigh na greine (tried it before and it was nice but wasn't blown away by this one from my fave distillery) or Glen Deveron 16.  I bought the latter having never tried anything from Macduff and it was very smooth, sherried and honeyish - no water needed at all, and just about worth the money (despite very average reviews online) - my non-expert friends loved it too, so all good.  But in general, I was hoping for more choice and better deals in the duty free.  Maybe a sign of the times with fast rising prices and a lot more NAS editions out there.

26 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I went on a holiday last week; it was only the second time I'd taken a flight since the pandemic (didn't check the duty free booze last year), flying from Glasgow airport.

I wanted a bottle of decent malt for friends we were staying with in Czechia, budget around £60, and was disappointed by the options.  I fondly remembered a selection of 2 bottles for £90 (maybe even less than that?) not all that long ago, with some very decent stuff in it, and getting Laphroaig PX for £50 (now £85 or something). 

This time I ended up choosing between Old Pulteney 13 - in retrospect maybe should have got that as OP is always great and it's an unusual bottling age - Bunna Eirigh na greine (tried it before and it was nice but wasn't blown away by this one from my fave distillery) or Glen Deveron 16.  I bought the latter having never tried anything from Macduff and it was very smooth, sherried and honeyish - no water needed at all, and just about worth the money (despite very average reviews online) - my non-expert friends loved it too, so all good.  But in general, I was hoping for more choice and better deals in the duty free.  Maybe a sign of the times with fast rising prices and a lot more NAS editions out there.

If you are someone who knows a bit about whisky and want something beyond standard supermarket offerings but equally aren't made of money it's a bit of a shit time.

Distilleries have two main markets. Premium and supermarket and that middle ground is being squeezed.

We won't see the days of Talisker 18 with a free mug bunged in for 55  quid or being able to buy a Springbank 12 for 60 quid (or more than 2 hours after release) again anytime soon.

I recently bought a JW Green Label in duty free. I was equally uninspired.

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 14/10/2023 at 08:14, invergowrie arab said:

If you are someone who knows a bit about whisky and want something beyond standard supermarket offerings but equally aren't made of money it's a bit of a shit time.

Distilleries have two main markets. Premium and supermarket and that middle ground is being squeezed.

We won't see the days of Talisker 18 with a free mug bunged in for 55  quid or being able to buy a Springbank 12 for 60 quid (or more than 2 hours after release) again anytime soon.

I recently bought a JW Green Label in duty free. I was equally uninspired.

It's not just you guys and it's not just whisky. The local booze chain emails you a weekly bulletin and they were bigging up some $60 rum as 'first time seen on US soil'. Turns out it was a travel retail exclusive that hadn't shifted and you could have gotten it airside at any number of American airports. 

I was off the drink for a while but I bought a few bottles from the SMWS and I have opened some up. I would say that only 1 of the 4 opened has been quality, 2 have been average at best and the other is okay with ginger ale, it's quite rough straight out the bottle.

Have any members noticed that the bottling isn't very good or have I just been unlucky?

23 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Must have been a pretty penny! 

£110, bit higher than what I usually pay for a bottle but any Deanston finished in PX/Fino casks is normally outstanding. Managed a wee sample before buying as well just to make sure. 

On 15/10/2023 at 23:02, Scosha said:

IMG_4705.thumb.jpeg.54c118455a05b8bc752432b3cc5250c8.jpeg

Picked this up recently from Deanston and it’s simply sublime. 
Photo below added to show the colour in better light. IMG_4613.thumb.jpeg.268810e02dc033aa9dde7dd32fc6d13b.jpeg

Absolutely love Deanston, from the shape of the bottle to the fantastic finish on the taste. Keeping my 18 for my boy's wedding next year.

22 hours ago, Scosha said:

£110, bit higher than what I usually pay for a bottle but any Deanston finished in PX/Fino casks is normally outstanding. Managed a wee sample before buying as well just to make sure. 

Agree mate, I've spent similar at Deanston after sampling. The 15yo French oak is amongst my top 5 drams ever. 

The Port is actually better imo but never owned a bottle