whisky lovers

18 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Tesco doing the 12 yo Bowmore for £23. Pretty decent offer on a nice whisky. 

Cheers, picked one up. Also got a Glenmorangie Lasanta at £35 and a Jura 10 yo at £28 while I was in.  Will be lying low for a while now, literally.

16 hours ago, GiGi said:

Good price for the Lasanta, it was £50 last I checked. 

Got a wee liking for it when I got a 4 x 10cl taster pack as a present.

It had the original, the lasanta sherry cask 12yo at 43%, quinta ruban port cask 12yo at 46% and the nectar d'or sauternes cask 12yo at 46%

Lovely stuff

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Got this as a father's day gift at the weekend. 12, 15 and 18 yo samplers. They all taste surprisingly quite different, but all absolutely superb.

cb4852ad90956506c2af34b9c96dd953.image.1200x1200.jpg

Which one was your favourite?

I don't like much from Glenfiddich. Watery, tasteless disappointment in a bottle. They need to bottle at 46% like most other good distilleries to change my mind about that.

I loved them all - there's no such thing as a bad single malt.
If anything I thought the 15 yo had a more distinctive taste.
Iv got to be honest, I often think I must be a pretty poor whisky drinker because I havent tried any that I wouldnt drink again. Just ones I like more than others.

I bought a Highland Park Dragon’s Legend  which was reduced from £40 to £30 in Tesco.

Shite name, good whisky. More peat and more sherry than a normal HP makes it more like an Islay malt.

Would recommend*

*I’m pished after a full day of World Cup boozing so don’t blame me if you buy it and it turns out to be shite.

Strathisla 12 lastnight. Tasted nice and its rare for me but I was able to pick apple and pear from the tasting notes.

However, pretty much confirmed to me why I stay away from less than 46%. Its too much water.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

29th Wedding anniversary , saw this bad boy un corked , 

lovely stuff ! 

D16F1858-4F4E-440F-9ECD-B4A6F298A6D8.jpeg

I hadn’t heard of Daftmill before.

Did you pay £210 for it?

On 6/28/2018 at 13:53, ICTJohnboy said:

Got this as a father's day gift at the weekend. 12, 15 and 18 yo samplers. They all taste surprisingly quite different, but all absolutely superb.

cb4852ad90956506c2af34b9c96dd953.image.1200x1200.jpg

I'd imagine that's a terrific gift, but the branding really does make it look like it's chocolate, caramel and mint flavoured whisky.  

10 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

29th Wedding anniversary , saw this bad boy un corked , 

lovely stuff ! 

D16F1858-4F4E-440F-9ECD-B4A6F298A6D8.jpeg

Is that light deceptive, or is it really that pale?  That's one of the palest looking whiskies I've ever seen.  Almost white wine colour!  I'm assuming its incredibly smooth and not in the slightest bit peaty?

For both  "Savage Henry" and  "Ziggy"

Aye I paid £210 for it  , and have helped all those who bought as an investment , by opening mine  - it was by far the most expensive whisky I've ever bought  , but I never considered  Flipping it  , owning and quaffing a wee bit of history is rather nice  , I'm certain it will sit quietly at the  back of the shelf and take some time to be finished .

No hint of peat  !

Colour - light Gold

Nose , p***kly , lemony, cereal, hint of somthing herbal

Neat - again lemon , grassy, pepperey , somthing sweet in the background

Cut ( a teaspoon ) again lemon getting fruity not sharp , herbs ( bay , and more) and with a bit of time chocolatey notes

Finish , just sublime , long , lemon gets more “bitter” and there are some floral and maybe an earthy touch

Wonderful stuff 89 / 100

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Is that light deceptive, or is it really that pale?  That's one of the palest looking whiskies I've ever seen.  Almost white wine colour!  I'm assuming its incredibly smooth and not in the slightest bit peaty?

I have whiskies that are barely darker than white spirit. Doesn't really mean anything other than it wasn't aged in any kind of wine or sherry cask. Colour != flavour.