whisky lovers

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

To all who recommended the Glemdronach 18.

Bravo. Fucking beautiful stuff. Starts off good and by the end of a dram I am practically knocking one out over it.

I moved away from heavily sherried jobs recently because I got a bit tired of the saminess of them. But this.... Fucking hell. A top drawer sherrybomb really does take some beating.

^^^ 6 halves deep

Edited by GiGi

Auctions, avoid or bargains to be found? I've bought a few bottles from there recently that would be hard to find anywhere else but the 'standard' stuff they sell seems to go for pretty much face value. Can't really see the point in putting a dalmore 12yo on an auction site for example. 

9 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Auctions, avoid or bargains to be found? I've bought a few bottles from there recently that would be hard to find anywhere else but the 'standard' stuff they sell seems to go for pretty much face value. Can't really see the point in putting a dalmore 12yo on an auction site for example. 

Bit of both. People howking whisky for low estimates if they don't actually know what it's worth is not uncommon. Similarly people snap up limited edition stuff and straight away try to flog them for double retail value which is on par with ticket touting IMO. I'd just never give them the money. Shoddy practice.

Edited by GiGi

Speaking of new releases getting snapped up, anyone tried the new Aberlour one yet? Supposedly a sort of substitute for the A'Bhunadh in terms of price range albeit only bottled at 48%. Cant remember the name but I think it translates as "rare cask"

This one?

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-casg-annamh-whisky/

But no. If it's a cheaper alternative to A'Bunadh because their casks are getting tired then I won't be getting any either. I've had 2 batches of A'Bunadh (35 and 56)  and the 35 was so much better it's clear the degradation over time. 

I'd try a half but not going near a bottle any time soon.

This one?
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-casg-annamh-whisky/
But no. If it's a cheaper alternative to A'Bunadh because their casks are getting tired then I won't be getting any either. I've had 2 batches of A'Bunadh (35 and 56)  and the 35 was so much better it's clear the degradation over time. 
I'd try a half but not going near a bottle any time soon.
Aye thats the one. I did wonder what the reason was for the price rise of A'Bunadh.

Hadnt realised that would be the reason. Every day a school day!

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye thats the one. I did wonder what the reason was for the price rise of A'Bunadh.

Hadnt realised that would be the reason. Every day a school day!

I can't say for sure. The critical acclaim of the early batches of A'Bunadh quickly waned if you look at reviews of each batch as they were released. Supposedly there was a rejuvenation after batch 60 or so but I can only go off of what I've drank myself, it could be they retired some old casks and got some fresher ones involved. I hope so.

But bringing in a new core bottling along the same lines but with a set abv rather than cask strength gives me a sense of dread that it is a money making exercise on an inferior product. I will wait til I try it before passing that judgement though, so feel free to ignore my cynicism. 

I can't say for sure. The critical acclaim of the early batches of A'Bunadh quickly waned if you look at reviews of each batch as they were released. Supposedly there was a rejuvenation after batch 60 or so but I can only go off of what I've drank myself, it could be they retired some old casks and got some fresher ones involved. I hope so.
But bringing in a new core bottling along the same lines but with a set abv rather than cask strength gives me a sense of dread that it is a money making exercise on an inferior product. I will wait til I try it before passing that judgement though, so feel free to ignore my cynicism. 
I take it you mean the Oloroso casks are running low on olorosoeyness?

At 50 notes a bottle there are various other NAS type things I would try before this. Was just intrigued as I love ABunadh but it is rapidly disappearing from acceptable in terms if coin.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I take it you mean the Oloroso casks are running low on olorosoeyness?

At 50 notes a bottle there are various other NAS type things I would try before this. Was just intrigued as I love ABunadh but it is rapidly disappearing from acceptable in terms if coin.

Pretty much. I'm sure I was told at Glengoyne there was a limit on how many times the same cask can be filled (5 or 6 IIRC) but obviously that can be anything from 15 to 100 years of use. NAS is rightfully met with increasing scepticism in the modern age due to distilleries cashing in on the popularity of the market which is unfortunate as some NAS stuff is wonderful. 

M&S having a stock clearance on some lines in-store. I'll need to lie low for a while, got these:

anCnoc 12yo 40% £25.50

Glenfarclas  12yo  43% £28

Glengoyne 14yo 40% £32

Arran Malt Sherry Cask 46%  £32

Kilchoman Machir Bay 46% £32

Did anybody go to the whisky fringe over the weekend?

I was there on Saturday. Tried the Glendronach parliament which lived up to the hype. Currently debating whether I can afford £125 for a bottle. 

The big find of the day for me was Longrow. I tried their NAS peated, 14 YO sherry and an 18 YO. All were excellent. I'm going to try and pick up a 14YO but I think it's really limited stock.

Disappointments were the Dalmore King Alexander III which really wasn't for me. Very perfumey. I also wasn't a big fan of the Glencadam 13 but that was later in the afternoon and my taste buds aren't always to be trusted at that point.

9 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Just discovered this magnificent thead, I'll have to set aside some time & have a good read from the beginning. Having only read the last couple of pages, I have a question regarding storage: is it wise to occasionally tilt upright bottles? I've heard it stops the cork from drying out.

Every 6 months maybe. Other than that no. The more contact the cork has with the whisky the faster it will disintegrate. The alcohol strength is too high. 

14 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Just discovered this magnificent thead, I'll have to set aside some time & have a good read from the beginning. Having only read the last couple of pages, I have a question regarding storage: is it wise to occasionally tilt upright bottles? I've heard it stops the cork from drying out.

Also top tip - keep all the corks and T tops from your empty  bottles. If any of your corks ever look a bit suspect or actually break it's best to have replacements. Stick them in a bag in a drawer or cupboard. 

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Every 6 months maybe. Other than that no. The more contact the cork has with the whisky the faster it will disintegrate. The alcohol strength is too high. 

Many thanks. I've recently aquired a couple of silent stills bottles* & obviously want to take as much care as possible with them. Not really one for collecting ornaments but I would need a really good excuse to open them!

*22y/o Rosebank & 31y/o Linlithgow.

On 8/11/2018 at 13:39, Peedzy said:

M&S having a stock clearance on some lines in-store. I'll need to lie low for a while, got these:

anCnoc 12yo 40% £25.50

Glenfarclas  12yo  43% £28

Glengoyne 14yo 40% £32

Arran Malt Sherry Cask 46%  £32

Kilchoman Machir Bay 46% £32

Wow! Good prices there.

Btw, the Tamdhu CS is a lovely sherried malt. Not bad at £50ish.

On 8/16/2018 at 15:14, badgerthewitness said:

Many thanks. I've recently aquired a couple of silent stills bottles* & obviously want to take as much care as possible with them. Not really one for collecting ornaments but I would need a really good excuse to open them!

*22y/o Rosebank & 31y/o Linlithgow.

Ouch!

I've heard they're really shit. I'll take them of your hands though... ;)