whisky lovers

2 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Nothing wrong with that ,  curious , though does it still have a 10 yo age statement 

As Gigi confirmed, yes it still has the 10 yo age statement.

I got a Lasanta 12 yo at 43 a few weeks ago in Tesco for £35. Well pleased at that price, it's nice stuff.

I'm still a bit of a novice, sticking to the £25-£35 pricepoint if 'on offer' at the supermarkets. What would the more experienced among you recommend if I was to go all brave and step it up a bit?

9 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

I got a Lasanta 12 yo at 43 a few weeks ago in Tesco for £35. Well pleased at that price, it's nice stuff.

I'm still a bit of a novice, sticking to the £25-£35 pricepoint if 'on offer' at the supermarkets. What would the more experienced among you recommend if I was to go all brave and step it up a bit?

What ones have you enjoyed so far?

6 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

Gigi et al blow me out the water in terms of whisky knowledge, but as a novice like yourself I can tell you what I buy generally. No less than 46% usually as you will quickly learn that 40%ers are just watery and weak tasting. For a start off, good Islays to start with for me would be Classic Laddie for the style without the smoke, Bunnahabhain and Ardbeg. Speysiders, can't miss really theres so much to pick from. Value wise, Glenfarclas seem to be really well priced. And get involved in some cask strength gear too. Aberlour A'Bunadh is one I really like. 

The big boys in here will help you more though

A very wise man ( Charlie Maclean no less) suggested buying ad high strength as you can , cos ye canna tak the water oot , wance it’s in , 

also cutting it dilutes and encourages the flavour imparting components to be lost in the bottling line 

So as bairnardo says get the higher abs stuff 

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

What ones have you enjoyed so far?

I've enjoyed the Speysiders the most. Some of the Islays were too peaty for me as a beginner. Now that I'm getting the taste for it more, I'll need to go back again to see if I appreciate them better second time around.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Gigi et al blow me out the water in terms of whisky knowledge, but as a novice like yourself I can tell you what I buy generally. No less than 46% usually as you will quickly learn that 40%ers are just watery and weak tasting. For a start off, good Islays to start with for me would be Classic Laddie for the style without the smoke, Bunnahabhain and Ardbeg. Speysiders, can't miss really theres so much to pick from. Value wise, Glenfarclas seem to be really well priced. And get involved in some cask strength gear too. Aberlour A'Bunadh is one I really like. 

The big boys in here will help you more though

Watery and weak ones seemed like rocket fuel when I first started. Got a Glenmorangie taster pack as a present and this opened my eyes a bit more. I could tell the difference with the quinta ruban port cask 12yo at 46% and the nectar d'or sauternes cask 12yo at 46%.

I'll have a look at what you've recommended. I've pretty much stuck to supermarket offers with my armbands on so far.

Aye Ardbeg is good if youe like peat. TCP and seaside bonfire galore. 

If you haven't decided if peat is really your thing though I'd avoid and go after more coastal stuff like Jura, Talisker, Highland Park and see how you get on. 

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Aye Ardbeg is good if youe like peat. TCP and seaside bonfire galore. 

If you haven't decided if peat is really your thing though I'd avoid and go after more coastal stuff like Jura, Talisker, Highland Park and see how you get on. 

Okay cheers, found them to be a bit too throaty for my liking (Laphroaig  did actually taste like TCP to me)

I enjoyed the Jura 10 recently, Talisker was nice but haven't tried Highland Park. Was just interested to know your thoughts on where to go beyond the standard supermarket 40% offerings without getting my erse skelped?

6 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

Okay cheers, found them to be a bit too throaty for my liking (Laphroaig  did actually taste like TCP to me)

I enjoyed the Jura 10 recently, Talisker was nice but haven't tried Highland Park. Was just interested to know your thoughts on where to go beyond the standard supermarket 40% offerings without getting my erse skelped?

Just try anything you can get your hands on tbh. No better way to find your tastes than that. 

Anyway since you seem to favour Speyside stuff so far I recommend Deanston, Springbank, Arran. None of them peaty. Also all from different regions (highland, Campbeltown, Arran respectively). 

Edited by GiGi

4 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Just try anything you can get your hands on tbh. No better way to find your tastes than that. 

Anyway since you seem to favour Speyside stuff so far I recommend Deanston, Springbank, Arran. None of them peaty. Also all from different regions (highland, Campbeltown, Arran respectively). 

Echo this. From Sprinkbank distillery I have had the Springbank 15 and the Longrow Red. Both of which are probably in my top 5. Really outstanding stuff.

Peedzy, keep an eye out on Amazon you often get decent deals. 

Just thought of one actually. Clynelish 14. Can get for under 40 notes and I really liked it

If you have 50 notes to spare , hunt down glenfarclas 105, a Sherry heavy dram at 60% , now mostly a nas ( no age statement ) 

if you have a sympathetic offie nearbye you might get Alisa bay , young and lightly plated , from lowlands ( girvan) , more thoughts to follow ...

Ok, cheers for the tips. I'll have a go at some of them when I get the chance.

In the meantime, I'm stepping out my Speyside comfort zone. I've just been to Tesco and got Talisker 10yo  45.8% (£30) and Ardbeg 10yo 46% (£37). Gigi, I know you advised the Ardbeg might not be the smartest move, based on the info I gave you, but I'll have a go and see what my tastebuds say!

(Edit to say, 10p off a litre of petrol on £60 spend, so I'm counting that as another fiver off the whisky...it's all about small victories...)

abgob.10yov1.jpg

talob.10yov1.jpg

Edited by Peedzy

Talisker could well be a gateway whisky for stuff like Ardbeg so not a bad move. Anyway I always recommend trying as much as you can get your hands on so happy tasting.

To all who recommended the Glemdronach 18.

Bravo. Fucking beautiful stuff. Starts off good and by the end of a dram I am practically knocking one out over it.

I moved away from heavily sherried jobs recently because I got a bit tired of the saminess of them. But this.... Fucking hell. A top drawer sherrybomb really does take some beating.