whisky lovers

Had the 21 the other day. It's excellent- the colour is unreal.

Holding on to the 15 to see what happens value wise. Anyone any tips about how to store it? Should it be on it's side?

31 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Had the 21 the other day. It's excellent- the colour is unreal.

Holding on to the 15 to see what happens value wise. Anyone any tips about how to store it? Should it be on it's side?

Definitely not. Upright is the only way to do it, prolonged periods on its side will erode the cork away. 

Store it somewhere cool with not too much light getting at it. Should be fine if in a box anyway. 

37 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Definitely not. Upright is the only way to do it, prolonged periods on its side will erode the cork away. 

Store it somewhere cool with not too much light getting at it. Should be fine if in a box anyway. 

Sadly I have to disagree , slightly  - the only way to store whisky is , take the cork off , pour it into a glass  , and enjoy , 

Store the memory  of how good it is  (or otherwise )

don't buy good whisky for other folks to drink when you are dead  , no pockets in a shroud - get it necked ...

29 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Sadly I have to disagree , slightly  - the only way to store whisky is , take the cork off , pour it into a glass  , and enjoy , 

Store the memory  of how good it is  (or otherwise )

don't buy good whisky for other folks to drink when you are dead  , no pockets in a shroud - get it necked ...

I'm not suggesting otherwise so don't know what you're getting at. There's still a right way to store whisky to help its longevity whether it's open or not.

I was , I suppose gently railing against all the closed bottles in collections that  raise the price and reduce the availability 

so much better to open and share , tell tales , and enjoy good company 

that said , upright , in a cool dark place , if you must , so at least when it does get opened it is in tip top nick 

6 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

I was , I suppose gently railing against all the closed bottles in collections that  raise the price and reduce the availability 

so much better to open and share , tell tales , and enjoy good company 

that said , upright , in a cool dark place , if you must , so at least when it does get opened it is in tip top nick 

I agree with you. Just about everything I buy is opened shortly after opening.

Thanks it's been up right and away in a cupboard. Asked because when we opened the 21 after a year of sitting the cork disintegrated and I'd wondered if it had dried out.

Ahh !! GlenDronach my favourite subject.

12yr old "The Original", good entry level affordable everyday drink, about £35

15yr old "The Revival", 5 Star dram, but rare as rocking horse shit and impossible to find now for under £120, maybe even higher

18yr old "The Allardyce", £ for £ the best whisky around the 18 - 20 yr old mark given a budget of £100

21yr old "Parliament", dark as an Arabs sandal, full bodied, nice drink but still prefer the 18yr old

24 & 25 yr old "Revival" series, simply... "The Dugs Bollocks", but brace yourself for the £350-£400 price tag

Only one in the complete range I would not thank you for is the 8 Yr Old "The Heilan'" which was brought out just before Billy Walker left and it was their attempt at a peaty expression.

FFS, Just stick to what you know and what your bloody good at...Big Sherry Bombs !!

Here's a wee picture of my GlenDronach shelfs, the ones I the tubes at the back are the drinking bottles !

IMG_0251 (2).jpg

Ahh !! GlenDronach my favourite subject.
12yr old "The Original", good entry level affordable everyday drink, about £35
15yr old "The Revival", 5 Star dram, but rare as rocking horse shit and impossible to find now for under £120, maybe even higher
18yr old "The Allardyce", £ for £ the best whisky around the 18 - 20 yr old mark given a budget of £100
21yr old "Parliament", dark as an Arabs sandal, full bodied, nice drink but still prefer the 18yr old
24 & 25 yr old "Revival" series, simply... "The Dugs Bollocks", but brace yourself for the £350-£400 price tag
Only one in the complete range I would not thank you for is the 8 Yr Old "The Heilan'" which was brought out just before Billy Walker left and it was their attempt at a peaty expression.
FFS, Just stick to what you know and what your bloody good at...Big Sherry Bombs !!
Here's a wee picture of my GlenDronach shelfs, the ones I the tubes at the back are the drinking bottles !

5b64407fb7de8_IMG_0251(2).thumb.jpg.d53cb51145d0faba972aba1c88688cab.jpg
Wow. There's something in my eye.....

Party at yours

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Thanks it's been up right and away in a cupboard. Asked because when we opened the 21 after a year of sitting the cork disintegrated and I'd wondered if it had dried out.

Sounds like the cork has just failed. I'd contact either the retailer or even just the distillery themselves to express your disappointment in the quality of packing for their luxury product.

I've landed a free bottle that way before for the exact same issue although that was for a brand new bottle where the cork split in half. I just replaced the cork from another empty bottle from the same range and ended up with a freebie.

Also @B.K. I am highly, highly envious of the display and can only hope to amass a beautiful collection like that one day. Or at least organise my jumbled rabble into something a bit more pleasing on the eye. 

I have an un-built glass cabinet in my house that could probably hold half my bottles. I'll maybe try that out and post the results.

BK , when you get bored , give us a shout and i’ll Happily help you with the bottles , 

The allerdyce cost me 79.99 last time  ( couple of months ) I’ll need to see if they have any 15 tucked away at the back of the shop ! I’ll keep you appraised 

On 03/08/2018 at 11:40, Peedzy said:

Some serious whisky buffs on here, way out of my league!

I've just got a bottle of Glenmorangie Original for £25 from Morrisons for those of you closer to my budget!

Nothing wrong with that ,  curious , though does it still have a 10 yo age statement 

3 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Nothing wrong with that ,  curious , though does it still have a 10 yo age statement 

It does. As do the cask finishes Lasanta etc (12yo).

I liked the lasanta at 46 , haven’t tried it at 43 , what’s the Hamden on that ?

polishing off a distillery hand poured Auchentoshan, from a PX cask , 59.3% 11 yo , just sublime stuff , BK the glendronach Nannie , might appreciate this sherry monster , it’s Braw stuff