whisky lovers

45 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Managed to get another bottle of Springbank 12 cs today in the Green Welly in Tyndrum, at the original price of under 60 quid too. Still maintain there is no better whisky available under 100

I haven’t tried it but that’s a bold claim.

I want to try it.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Managed to get another bottle of Springbank 12 cs today in the Green Welly in Tyndrum, at the original price of under 60 quid too. Still maintain there is no better whisky available under 100

Said that a while back when I tried my first couple of batches. Stupidly cheap. I will always want a bottle in my cabinet. 

I would maybe nominate Macallan Edition 4 as better and is under 100 but the stuff is like gold dust so i couldn't get another bottle now if I tried.

Got a couple of distillery only Aberlours recently. 1000 bottle runs of a 13 year old sherry cask and bourbon cask.

I am highly likely to just tan them tbh, specially the sherry one, but are these the sort of bottles to go up in value? I know a couple of guys who bought them as keepers.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Got a couple of distillery only Aberlours recently. 1000 bottle runs of a 13 year old sherry cask and bourbon cask.

I am highly likely to just tan them tbh, specially the sherry one, but are these the sort of bottles to go up in value? I know a couple of guys who bought them as keepers.

They might well do as all limited batches tend to. But there are better ways to invest money with quicker returns than whisky so I have yet to buy a bottle for the purpose of selling it later. Get them tanned.

They might well do as all limited batches tend to. But there are better ways to invest money with quicker returns than whisky so I have yet to buy a bottle for the purpose of selling it later. Get them tanned.
Yeah I am running low on bottles currently so theres no way they will survive. Its not something I have ever considered getting into for making money since I couldnt afford the initial outlay required.

My cash spent on whisky is balanced purely against "how much do I want to try that bottle". Collecting it is a whole other hobby.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I am running low on bottles currently so theres no way they will survive. Its not something I have ever considered getting into for making money since I couldnt afford the initial outlay required.

My cash spent on whisky is balanced purely against "how much do I want to try that bottle". Collecting it is a whole other hobby.

That's the right way to look at it IMO. The only bottles that would make worthwhile investments will already cost thousands to begin with and will go up in value more to collectors. 

The bottles you're talking about look very nice indeed but if you look at it this way, if it's worth a tad over £100 a bottle now, in 5 years it might be worth £300. Is £200 profit a good return for waiting 5 years? 

To me the answer for bottles I can actually afford will always be no. I much prefer to be the guy in the conversation who says "I had a bottle of that and it was worth every penny" than the guy who made a few quid by keeping it off someone else who wanted to drink it.

PS gies some of that sherry one, sold out by the time I seen it. :lol:

That's the right way to look at it IMO. The only bottles that would make worthwhile investments will already cost thousands to begin with and will go up in value more to collectors. 
The bottles you're talking about look very nice indeed but if you look at it this way, if it's worth a tad over £100 a bottle now, in 5 years it might be worth £300. Is £200 profit a good return for waiting 5 years? 
To me the answer for bottles I can actually afford will always be no. I much prefer to be the guy in the conversation who says "I had a bottle of that and it was worth every penny" than the guy who made a few quid by keeping it off someone else who wanted to drink it.
PS gies some of that sherry one, sold out by the time I seen it. [emoji38]
Fortunately I know 2 lads who live in Aberlour. When I learned of its existence, text to transaction took about 20 minutes

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I would argue the toss , a bit , but the spring bank is a damn fine dram

What else , 

glenfarclas 105 , all day long at a 50 quid point

glendronach 18 at 80 is fantastic 

hell supermatket Lagavulin 16 at 50 is just great , though the 12 at cask is slipping out of the 100 range, sadly

i paid 58.50 for 1.207 a single cask farclas from  smws , it is fantastic 

hanging on the edge of the pricing the Daftmill summer at 95 is a good whisky 

What are other folks price point Vs ValueVs taste selections ?

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:45, GiGi said:

PS gies some of that sherry one, sold out by the time I seen it. :lol:

I started going down the buy one keep one route. However the ones I end up really liking I end breaking in to the second one. I am now left with a stock of average whisky.

After reading about the Springbank cs, just taken the plunge. The whisky shop £59:99 plus a fiver postage, was amazed at the price difference between stockists, some wanting £100 for the same bottle. Just finished a Craigellachie 21year old from SMWS, wasn't overly impressed to be honest, looking forward to the Springbank.