whisky lovers

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Speaking about a "stupid gaelic name" when talking about bunnahabhain ( or any whisky really) is an interesting take.

Macallan 10 changing to Macallan Gold probably the prime example of this. 

Point taken re ‘Gaelic’, it’s just I think it’s daft to call a product by a name that people won’t know how to spell or pronounce.

The NAS that annoyed me most was Glenlivet 12 being replaced by Founders Reserve.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I had a double cask 12 year old Macallan recently which was reasonably nice, other than that I have only tried the very average Gold.

Theres someting about Macallan... I might be wide of the mark but I view them as a soulless mass producer and have thus far never paid my own money for anything of theirs.

I think you’re wide of the mark.

I like that it is privately owned by a scottish family and that they give a lot of cash to charities.  Much more ‘soul’ than Diageo.

I also think Macallan & Highland Park make some brilliant whiskies however Gold  isn’t one of them.

just my opinion though, It might be me that’s wide of the mark.

I like that it is privately owned by a scottish family and that they give a lot of cash to charities.  Much more ‘soul’ than Diageo.
I also think Macallan & Highland Park make some brilliant whiskies however Gold  isn’t one of them.
Thats fair enough as I say am not sure why I have that impression. I just have always seen them as a global machine but I imagine a fair amount of that is my romanticised view when it comes to stuff like that.

I was speaking with an independent producer , who also  farms barley , selling it to Edrington, _ word is when macallan first went to the Nas with names , gold , sienna , amber  etc , they were known in the trade as “ the stripper range” . 

Edited by bishopburn boy
I’m an idiot

Just now, bishopburn boy said:

I was speaking with an independent producer , who als farms barley , selling it to Edrington, _ word is when macallan first went to the Nas with names , gold , sienna , amber  etc , they were known in the trade as “ the stripper range” . 

Wid.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I had a double cask 12 year old Macallan recently which was reasonably nice, other than that I have only tried the very average Gold.

Theres someting about Macallan... I might be wide of the mark but I view them as a soulless mass producer and have thus far never paid my own money for anything of theirs.

I distrust any firm who spend that much on advertising, big or small. Quality should speak for itself, with a subtle nudge.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I distrust any firm who spend that much on advertising, big or small. Quality should speak for itself, with a subtle nudge.

Hear hear. 

I have 2 different Macallans in the house. The standard 12yo Sherry Wood, which is decent but not special and totally overpriced. And the Macallan Edition No.4 which is up there with the best I've tried. I'm actually scared to finish the bottle because it's so good and I'll never get another one. And underpriced in my opinion, got it for under £80, would definitely have paid over £100 to get more. 

The latter bottle is the exception rather than the rule though. Every other Macallan is laughably overpriced. 

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Thats fair enough as I say am not sure why I have that impression. I just have always seen them as a global machine but I imagine a fair amount of that is my romanticised view when it comes to stuff like that.

MacAllan 10 was probably my introduction to whisky as they sponsored the Highland Cricket League when I played in it, and amply served the end of season events.    

I would say that by sheer weight of numbers, Diageo make more "better" whiskies than they do.  Talisker, Glenkinchie and Lagavulin - in their various guises - are among my favourite whiskies, and I don't really care who owns them.    The Singleton deal they've got going on is a bit weird though, I'll grant you that.

On 20/09/2018 at 19:06, bishopburn boy said:

I popped into my local Tesco , on the way home tonight ,

bottle of Ardbeg 10 , for £25.85 ! 

A welcome addition to the sipping shelf 

Tucking into this , just now , either I need recalibrated or this is an “ odd” batch , 

nowhere near the peaty , smoky , brine taste I remember 

T

no wonder it’s cheap 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Effie predicktive text

On 13/09/2018 at 21:18, GiGi said:

I've just pre-ordered a bottle of Glenfarclas 105... 22 year old. 

Hold me.

So I received it today. I'm so, so temped to crack it open and have a bash but I'm suffering the remnants of a head cold and it would be wasted on me for now. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Is this any good?20181003_142257.jpg

Never had it but I can almost taste it looking at that box.

Entry level price NAS, virgin oak Highland probably means pretty drinkable, quite sweet suitable for someone who like JD/rum or other sweet spirits to try a single malt.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
On 03/10/2018 at 23:10, invergowrie arab said:
Never had it but I can almost taste it looking at that box.
Entry level price NAS, virgin oak Highland probably means pretty drinkable, quite sweet suitable for someone who like JD/rum or other sweet spirits to try a single malt.

I liked the look of it so I bought it. Nothing much to it. Was for the old boy so will see what he thinks

I enjoy a Tomatin but I'll never drink a virgin oak again after that Deanston travesty

19 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I enjoy a Tomatin but I'll never drink a virgin oak again after that Deanston travesty

Deanston is excellent juice as well, but no good when treated to such harsh wood. 

I'm enjoying an 11yo signatory cask strengther at the mo. Sherry 1st fill, 64.4%. Fucking monster. 

Deanston is excellent juice as well, but no good when treated to such harsh wood. 
I'm enjoying an 11yo signatory cask strengther at the mo. Sherry 1st fill, 64.4%. Fucking monster. 
Browsing lastnight I clocked a Deanston 2008 Brandy cask finish. Same bottle style as the fantastic Bordeaux cask one. You tried?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Browsing lastnight I clocked a Deanston 2008 Brandy cask finish. Same bottle style as the fantastic Bordeaux cask one. You tried?

Not yet but it's on my shopping list. Sounds nice though I suspect it's probably not quite as good as the red wine one (for me personally). 

Still going to get it though. 

Not yet but it's on my shopping list. Sounds nice though I suspect it's probably not quite as good as the red wine one (for me personally). 
Still going to get it though. 
Looking for a birthday bottle and that one has leapt into pole position