whisky lovers

On 11/14/2018 at 14:13, Bairnardo said:
On 11/14/2018 at 14:04, nelsjfc said:

And il second that. Amazing stuff. Dont want my bottle to end

£72 just now from Green Welly

https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/glendronach-allardice-18-year-old-whisky.html

1 minute ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I wonder if P&Bers can give me a recommendation - I dont often drink whisky but when I do I quite enjoy a Laphroaig. Looking to branch out so is there anything people would recommend that would be relatively similar?

Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Kilchoman. Most things Islay really. Also Talisker from Skye and Ledaig from Tobermory.

I wonder if P&Bers can give me a recommendation - I dont often drink whisky but when I do I quite enjoy a Laphroaig. Looking to branch out so is there anything people would recommend that would be relatively similar?
If you are wanting to branch out but like Islay ones also try Bunnahabhain 12 and Bruichladdich classic Laddie. Both have the briny flavour without so much of the smoke. I really like them.

11 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Having a Sherry feast , smws 1.207  13 yo Glenfarclas , splendid stuff 

Sounds excellent. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Deal of the day on Amazon is Ardmore Legacy for £16.90. Either a coincidence or a cream bun at Amazon HQ got hold of the pricing. In any case that's a terrific price. It's a lightly peated highland malt, nothing special but pleasant enough. Would make an excellent gift or introduction to peated whisky. I like it for mixing a godfather cocktail or a rusty nail. Just helps them not be too sweet.

Deal of the day on Amazon is Ardmore Legacy for £16.90. Either a coincidence or a cream bun at Amazon HQ got hold of the pricing. In any case that's a terrific price. It's a lightly peated highland malt, nothing special but pleasant enough. Would make an excellent gift or introduction to peated whisky. I like it for mixing a godfather cocktail or a rusty nail. Just helps them not be too sweet.
I have always ignored the frequent deals on that due to our oft discussed issues with cheap NAS stuff. Just goes to show....

On that subject, a guy I work with who has a staggering collection, I mean 10s of k worth probably nearer 100k and definitely knows his stuff rates the Tamnavulin that you often see on Amazon.

I have never bought though because for all I generally trust his judgement he is a bit of a jake these days.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have always ignored the frequent deals on that due to our oft discussed issues with cheap NAS stuff. Just goes to show....

On that subject, a guy I work with who has a staggering collection, I mean 10s of k worth probably nearer 100k and definitely knows his stuff rates the Tamnavulin that you often see on Amazon.

I have never bought though because for all I generally trust his judgement he is a bit of a jake these days.

I would only buy it as mixer or as a gift, there's no way I'd choose to drink it over pretty much anything else I've got. But it is a great price for anyone else, genuine value for money. Can't complain about it being NAS when it's that cheap.

16 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Talisker 10 should be right up your alley.

Lagavulin Distiller's Edition if you fancy splashing out a bit more.

57 minutes ago, yoda said:

I might have posted this already in the thread but there was rumours of the Talisker 10 being discontinued, and essentially replaced by one of the NAS ones (Storm or Skye?).  I'm not sure how true it is, though. 

More likely for overseas markets than UK IMO. I've not heard anything like that but you used to hear similar about Bunnahabhain 12 as well being replaced by Stuirerereriisjdher or whatever. I think it'll stay. It's a Diageo distillery as well so I don't think it's a product they'll want to pull.

I might have posted this already in the thread but there was rumours of the Talisker 10 being discontinued, and essentially replaced by one of the NAS ones (Storm or Skye?).  I'm not sure how true it is, though. 
I hope not because the 10 is good and at least one of those two you mentioned is shite. Storm I think I have tried. Not nice.

I found both "Storm" and "Skye" to be rather bland. But on the other hand their "Port Ruighe" is pretty decent stuff.

I don't recall the exact details but I'm stocking up on two bottles just incase.  It's significantly better value for money than the 18, IMO.

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

If memory serves Sixty odd of her majesties pound things , certainly no more than 65 , picked it up at a tasting in September , @57.8% abv from a first fill oloroso hoggie , it was the best dram of the evening. 

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

More likely for overseas markets than UK IMO. I've not heard anything like that but you used to hear similar about Bunnahabhain 12 as well being replaced by Stuirerereriisjdher or whatever. I think it'll stay. It's a Diageo distillery as well so I don't think it's a product they'll want to pull.

Not googling the correct Gaelic is a hate crime.

I was speaking to the folk at bunnahabhain about that and they said they were looking to scale back in certain market at some point as they didnt have capacity. That shouldn't be an issue now they are going ahead with the upgrade of the site.

I'll chain myself to the Skye bridge if they discontinue Talisker 10 but i would be surprised. It has marketability eg being the Bond dram. If i remember right Skye is pish and Storm is fine now you can get it for about £30 but was more expensive than 10 on release but not as good.

I found both "Storm" and "Skye" to be rather bland. But on the other hand their "Port Ruighe" is pretty decent stuff.
I don't recall the exact details but I'm stocking up on two bottles just incase.  It's significantly better value for money than the 18, IMO.

Talisker 10 is tremendous bang for your buck. I’d be extremely disappointed if it is being discontinued. And surprised.

34 minutes ago, HI HAT said:

It was the Talisker 10yo I got in my local co-op. Being discontinued hence the clearance price according to the manageress. Going back tomorrow to see if there's any left.

I won't be discontinued. 

Might it no longer be the Talisker available in supermarkets and Co-Ops?

That seems more plausible.