whisky lovers

On 02/02/2020 at 21:33, Archie McSquackle said:

I was given a bottle of Glenrothes Select Reserve by my mother-in-law for Christmas. It's NAS and I didn't know what to expect but I'm really enjoying it. Strangely it doesn't seem to be available anywhere when I look it up. 20200202_210520.jpeg

Im sure I have seen that in airports. Probably a duty free exclusive hence hard to see eleshere.

Got given a bottle of the Kingsbarns single malt. NAS but I think it's probably 3 or 4 years old. 

Quite sweet and you can tell it's young but not that young. At 45 quid a bottle you can get similar whisky signifcantly cheaper e.g. it's not a million miles of a chivas 

I would say it's likely to be one to watch when older expressions come out though 

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Been a big balblair fan for years and was a bit disappointed in them moving to standard aged stuff rather than their batches but this did not disappoint. Going down waaayy too quickly

B537C5BF-268D-4BC7-A630-09D0D3C3C075.jpeg

I did the tour there last year. Did a 'bottle your own' 13 year old bourbon, lovely stuff. I'm sipping it slowly. I've got a 12yr and 15yr on my shelf too, like them both. The 15yr is currently on special offer at LochFyne for £62.95 with free delivery for anyone interested.

On 16/02/2020 at 20:43, Peedzy said:

I did the tour there last year. Did a 'bottle your own' 13 year old bourbon, lovely stuff. I'm sipping it slowly. I've got a 12yr and 15yr on my shelf too, like them both. The 15yr is currently on special offer at LochFyne for £62.95 with free delivery for anyone interested.

Thats exactly where I got it from, Im guessing LochFyne doing free delivery more often now is a recent thing? Bought several bottles off them over the years but would have bought way more as usually only buy a bottle at a time which made it not worth it.

What was the balblair tour like? Worked near there for a bit and very much regret not doing it. Did the Glenmorangie one as was more available but really wanted to do the balblair one more.

21 hours ago, gannonball said:

Thats exactly where I got it from, Im guessing LochFyne doing free delivery more often now is a recent thing? Bought several bottles off them over the years but would have bought way more as usually only buy a bottle at a time which made it not worth it.

What was the balblair tour like? Worked near there for a bit and very much regret not doing it. Did the Glenmorangie one as was more available but really wanted to do the balblair one more.

Aye, they seem to have been doing the 'free delivery over £25' since about Christmas. Their prices vary wildly though I think. There's some good genuine bargains on there, but some of the 'discount' prices and a lot higher than 'normal' prices elsewhere.

Balblair was good. A lot less 'corporate' feel to the tour compared to the one I did at Glenmorangie.  I got a dram of the 12, 15 and 13 cask strength.

Whiskybroker have got a Glen Grant 28 year cask strength bottle for £70 at the moment, if that tickles your fancy. £6.50 for shipping, but that's for up to 6 bottles and you can get them to 'hold' your bottle and ship for same price if you add another couple of bottles over the next few months.

3 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Whiskybroker have got a Glen Grant 28 year cask strength bottle for £70 at the moment, if that tickles your fancy. £6.50 for shipping, but that's for up to 6 bottles and you can get them to 'hold' your bottle and ship for same price if you add another couple of bottles over the next few months.

Now that's a recommendation. I might have to set up alerts for your posts if you keep tipping whisky value like this. 

16 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Now that's a recommendation. I might have to set up alerts for your posts if you keep tipping whisky value like this. 

Hope you got one. There were only 199 bottles available and sold out pretty quick. I've just noticed a couple of bottles back on again just now, maybe cancellations...if you're quick.

https://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/70cl,-28yo-distilled-at-glen-grant-distillery-c-1-p-160

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Campbeltown last month in a  group of 12 . It was in the middle of one of the storms so it was freezing and wet all weekend but managed to get around the three distilleries.

Glen Scotia tour and dunnage warehouse tasting. Tried five whiskies drawn straight from the casks. All around 55%. The first two we had were my favourites, 20yo and 18yo bourbon casks. Tour guide said their 18 yo bottling is pretty close to the taste. No option to buy a bottle of one of the ones we tried. A good tour, generous measures and tour guide was up for a bit of chat. Bit of sour note at the end as we were rushed out a little. Might help if they paid their staff an extra hours work when they have a tasting on.

Kilkerran/Glen Gyle tour. Pretty interesting tour as it wasn't operational at the time of going round. Got one dram (and top-up) as part of the tour. Nice whisky at a good price. I bought a bottle of the standard Kilkerran for £35, great value dram. 

Springbank tour/ Cadenhead tasting. Part of a massive group doing the tour of Springbank. Pretty interesting how they change production depending if they're making Springback/Longrow/Hazelburn. The dunnage warehouse tasting was all casks that are owned by Cadenhead (Springbank own the Cadenhead bottlers and shop) so we didn't actuall taste any Springbank on the tasting. Six drams straight out the cask and you could buy a bottle that was drawn from the cask. I came away with a 22yo Aberfeldy. the tour guide was really sound and threw in a gin and rum tasting after as well. After eight cask strength spirits we popped into Cadenhead and spent a ton of money on more whisky. The guys in the shop were up for pouring tastes of anything and I picked up a Cadenhead bottle of Linkwood 11yo Bourbon cask. could have spent much more. 

Good trip, definitely worth doing if you're into whisky. Very scenic drive on the way down. Three tours and three bottles purchased. Would probably have bought a Glen Scotia too if we weren't being rushed out the door. Found a decent pub/restaurant for dinner and went to a hotel bar that had a massive whisky selection for a nightcap. 

Enjoying home isolation by getting into some of my better whiskies I've not been at for a while. Deanston 20 port finish tonight. Nearly half the bottle left which was a pleasant surprise it's genuinely one of the best I've ever tried. 

Tonight on to the Octomore 10 year old 2nd edition. Much sweeter smelling than I remember, lots of honeysuckle in amongst the peat. Also creme brule - I remember scoffing heartily a decade ago about the notion of nosing something as specific as a pudding in a whisky and now I am just as unashamedly wanky.

Apologies in advance as more self indulgent pish like that will follow the longer I'm locked in with so much lovely malt.

Despite the eye-watering ppm not all the smoke bomb as advertised and really drinkable at cask stength 57%. Plenty of bonfire on the palate. Excellent stuff. And this is the lesser of the 2 Octomore's in my stash - the 7.3 is fucking special.

Edited by GiGi