whisky lovers

Bourbon whisky made in the same barrels some of our own whisky is used in charred American white oak barrels

I know. The main reason that the Scotch industry uses American wood is because it's cheap. (it's relatively cheap in comparison to other sources because American Laws state that they are only allowed to use the barrels once, unlike in Scotch or Sherry where the casks can be used over and over again.)

However bourbon tends to be made using different types of grain, I can't recall which but it isn't barley.

Ps. I'm not saying that I don't like bourbon, I just don't consider it whisky.

I know. The main reason that the Scotch industry uses American wood is because it's cheap. (it's relatively cheap in comparison to other sources because American Laws state that they are only allowed to use the barrels once, unlike in Scotch or Sherry where the casks can be used over and over again.)

However bourbon tends to be made using different types of grain, I can't recall which but it isn't barley.

Ps. I'm not saying that I don't like bourbon, I just don't consider it whisky.

Tastes like Whisky to me as compared to something like Knob Creek that tastes like cask strength bourbon

Just tried Lagavulin with water. Think I prefer it without water. Other whiskies I do prefer with water, this one not so much. I do rather enjoy the taste of it without water.

Mind you, I am a macho man. *enter Village People picture*

At the end of the day your preference is all that really matters. I'm also a big fan of Lagavulin (with or without water).

How much water did you put in? For a 25 ml nip you shouldn't need any more than a couple of drops. A good way to do this is take a straw and draw up water to about half the length of the straw. It's just to realease the oils which releases the nose and gives it a bit more flavour. However it is perfectly fine to go without too, just a slightly different taste. Don't do ice it will kill the notes.

American whiskey and a single malt are as different drinks as vodka and dark rum.

How much water did you put in? For a 25 ml nip you shouldn't need any more than a couple of drops. A good way to do this is take a straw and draw up water to about half the length of the straw. It's just to realease the oils which releases the nose and gives it a bit more flavour. However it is perfectly fine to go without too, just a slightly different taste. Don't do ice it will kill the notes.

American whiskey and a single malt are as different drinks as vodka and dark rum.

Triple distilled Irish whisky is different to Tullymoore Due is a decent one better than Jamiestons

It's not whisky.

Re. adding water, I think you should always add a little to most whiskies. Especially ones that have been chill filtered as they tend to be bottled at a higher strength.

It's mostly macho bullshit that makes people say that you shouldn't add it. Most of the master blenders I know always recommend adding a drop or two as a way of releasing aromas and tastes.

Genuinely don't enjoy whisky if you add water to it. I find it makes it sharp, ice even moreso. Prefer it neat, and warmed slightly (hand warm).

Haven't experimented much with new whiskies the last while, been plugging away at my stock, largely Dalmore Cigar Malt. Had the King Alexander Dalmore for the first time the other week, damn tasty dram. It's my dad's 60th this year, he's not into anything peaty but quite fancy getting him something a bit special. Last few ones my brothers or I gave him were the Dalmore Cromartie, Clynelish 21, and Balblair 21. They're right up his street, think the Clynelish my brother bought him is his favourite.

You may have noticed a theme that I/we drink a lot of Dalmore. It's my local and a firm favourite!

Edited by Spain

I've been expanding my whisky horizons over the past few months. Glenfarclas 105 is my favourite so far, although at £60 it does take a dent of my already light wallet. The "worst" has been the Jura whiskies I've tried, not a fan of any of them so far.

Being back in Inverness over the summer has proved fruitful. My stepdad has decent whisky selection - mostly Island distilleries but a few others thrown in, even some Japanese - so I've got a few new options to fire into.

I've been expanding my whisky horizons over the past few months. Glenfarclas 105 is my favourite so far, although at £60 it does take a dent of my already light wallet. The "worst" has been the Jura whiskies I've tried, not a fan of any of them so far.

Being back in Inverness over the summer has proved fruitful. My stepdad has decent whisky selection - mostly Island distilleries but a few others thrown in, even some Japanese - so I've got a few new options to fire into.

Jura was bad had a bottle somebody said was good and smooth.it was rough as the cheap High Commisioner

The Yamazaki 18 is one of my top whiskies. Go with the Japanese first.

However, I am down at my uncle's for a few days and I have just tried a 16 year old Lagavulin. As Ray Wilkins would say...my word. Blows everything else I've had out the water.

If you enjoyed the Lagavulin, it would be worth your while trying the Lagavulin PX (Pedro Ximinez) Distiller's Edition.

It's had an extra maturation in a sherry barrel and although not as peaty as the regular Lagavulin, it has a lot more warmth about it.

• 2 months later...

My latest present to myself, just for being me. A Dalmore King Alexander and a Dalmore 18 year old. Nice and cheap at only £136 thanks to my mate that works there. Normally the King almost sells for that.

post-14733-14144425019014_thumb.jpg

Just got to think of an excuse to open the King now!

Edited by Spain

Has anyone tried that David Beckham Haig Club shit yet?

£45 a bottle in Asda FFS!

At that kinda prices it suggests it's fairly average, but with a slightly inflated price just because of who's involved in it.

Not interested to be honest.

Worked in a whisky shop over the summer and now into it in a pretty big way. A couple I tried through work and really enjoyed were Tullibardine 228 burgundy cask and Tomatin's Cu Bocan expression. Also a big fan of Edradour and thoroughly enjoy a Laphroaig from time to time. Worst I've tried has been anything by Deanston, which is just very bland.

I was at the new ardnamurchan distillery at the weekend. Really interesting to see a distillery starting up from scratch. No whisky there for 8 years at least but they did let me taste some of their low wines which tasted a bit like grappa or raiki. Did pick up a beautiful 21 yo bunnahabhain which is surprising as i dont rate the standard bunna.