whisky lovers

I've had all of those apart from Talisker Storm(which I toyed with buying today before plumping for the Port Ruighe) and Glencaddam. Is it a Speyside?

The storm isnae great, I think you went for the right choice. Drinkable but nothing like in the league of the 57 and prob not as good as the 10 yo.

Glencadam is a highland. Made in Brechin.

The storm isnae great, I think you went for the right choice. Drinkable but nothing like in the league of the 57 and prob not as good as the 10 yo.

Glencadam is a highland. Made in Brechin.

Do they class Brechin as a Highland? I assume Fettercairn would be the same? I've had Fettercairn Fior before. Lovely dram.

The map totally misses out Skye(Talisker), but is mentioned in the blurb further down. Also there's a malt emanating from Lewis now called Abhainn Dearg(the red water).

I was in Lewis over the summer and the barman was telling me about this. Obviously to start up a distillery it's a huge cash injection and then biding your time before you see a return.

The guys were fast running out of money and needed to have some income coming in so they bottled a 3 year old to sell. You can't call it whisky until after 4 or 6 years (citation needed) so they had to sell it as the spirit of Lewis. I tried some and it's as absolutely vile as you might expect. Fair play to them they market it quite romantically saying it's how whisky would have been drunk by the common people when maturing for 21 years wasn't an option.

I think they are just away to start selling their first single malt which might be an 6 year old. Again the talk is they know it will be shit but they need money in short term but they have really high hopes that long term it will be a quality malt. Being the only distillery in the western isles has a lot of romance attached to it and if they can make a half decent 10 or 12 bottling it will be a license to print money.

In a market where image and reputation is everything is a dangerous game to sell shit product but I can see why they are doing it and I think it will go well for them in the longer term.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I was in Lewis over the summer and the barman was telling me about this. Obviously to start up a distillery it's a huge cash injection and then biding your time before you see a return.

The guys were fast running out of money and needed to have some income coming in so they bottled a 3 year old to sell. You can't call it whisky until after 4 or 6 years (citation needed) so they had to sell it as the spirit of Lewis. I tried some and it's as absolutely vile as you might expect. Fair play to them they market it quite romantically saying it's how whisky would have been drunk by the common people when maturing for 21 years wasn't an option.

I think they are just away to start selling their first single malt which might be an 6 year old. Again the talk is they know it will be shit but they need money in short term but they have really high hopes that long term it will be a quality malt. Being the only distillery in the western isles has a lot of romance attached to it and if they can make a half decent 10 or 12 bottling it will be a license to print money.

In a market where image and reputation is everything is a dangerous game to sell shit product but I can see why they are doing it and I think it will go well for them in the longer term.

Perhaps the fact they're struggling for money is why they are selling their stuff in 50cl bottles as well...

It's funny how if somebody opens the only distillery in the Western Isles then loads of people will try it for that reason alone (even if it is meant to be average). If someone opened another outside of Craigellachie for example then few would even know about it. Easy marketing really.

Next somebody will be building a distillery in Shetland just for... oh wait, they are!

You can sell it as Scotch after 3 years.

Some young whiskies can be alright. I've tried some of the early releases from Kilchoman and they were surprisingly good.

Some young whiskies can be alright. I've tried some of the early releases from Kilchoman and they were surprisingly good.

I have in the back of my mind somewhere an article about no age statement whiskies.I think the jist was around the 70s and 80s there were some excellent whiskies at around the 18/21 age range. Consequently these were marketed as age=quality. These days that may not necessarily be the case an 8 or 10 May be an excellent whisky but age= quality is so ingrained that many distillers are putting out the nas lines.

I've had Kilchoman Machair Bay, it's a superb dram. Another new(small) distilliary that has opened is Strathearn near Perth. Already got some gin on the market.

Kilchoman is lovely stuff - really pleasant wee dram. It's not as punchy as some of the Southern Islay drams, but that's not a bad thing.

If you're visiting Islay, I'd put this distillery and cafe on your to-do list. Just beyond the distillery is a stunning beach and a war grave - Otranto, an American naval vessel which came aground in a storm in October 1918, with the loss of 400 men. Tragically one month prior to the Armistice. This is the Machir Bay from which the malt has been named after.

Really a wild and awesome setting - best visited like we did in an October storm, the waves are huge!

Others would disagree but i find all the speysides 10 year olds rough with a nasty aftertaste. I would advise starting on a Highland for a smooth easy drinking starter. dalwhinnie is available in tesco and asda.

The other thing i would say that marks me out as a right amateur is i can rarely just go straight into whisky or it is a bit harsh for me, i usually have to have a beer first.

I'm trying to make an effort to get into whisky. Bought a Glenmorangie 10 year old today. It's not bad but it seems a bit, I don't know, rough. Might be because I'm not used to drinking whisky. Are there any whiskies anyone here can recommend for a complete novice? Also can anyone recommend a decent whisky shop in Aberdeen in the city centre or within walking distance of the city centre?

Cheers.

Others would disagree but i find all the speysides 10 year olds rough with a nasty aftertaste. I would advise starting on a Highland for a smooth easy drinking starter. dalwhinnie is available in tesco and asda.

Glenmorangie is Highland? :huh:

Yeah fettercairn is a highland too.

Was given a bottle if Fettercairn for my birthday. It wasn't bad at all, but I found I could only drink one glass at a time, otherwise it became sickly.

This Christmas I was given a beautiful limited edition box McKinlay's Rare Old Highland Malt, which supposedly was made specifically for Sheckleton's Nimrod expedition, and only recovered after discovery by some New Zealand explorers. Or something... Fascinating story.

Anyway, just opened it. The gift box is fantastic , and it's a damned drinkable blend, speaking as a single malt drinker. Whisky Bible raves about it, but he likes everything.

Anyone else sampled?