whisky lovers

The jura 16 is a touch more expensive,I think it's usually about 44 Tesco but it's well worth it.

Bought the 16yo Jura, Diurachs' Own for £37 at Asda Fairways, Inverness. Keeping this for the bells.

Might try the Jura Elixir and the Prophecy in the future.

Edited by CityDave

Myself and my father often take whiskies round to each other to try. Our most recent additons:

18yo Clynelish

17yo Balblair

Dalmore Cromartie (One of the last of the run)

Dalmore Cigar (The new run)

The Clynelish is the smoothest of the lot, but the Balblair and Cromartie probably just edge it for me as the Clynelish is a little too subtle. The Cigar Malt's an excellent dram, but ranks 4th out of this lot.

That's a fair regional selection you've got there!

Just bought a ten yer old Aberlour for 22 quid out Scotmid,pretty sure it was 35 quid in Tesco.So it was a good deal,its a great mid range dram.Dalry has a good whisky pub in Dalry called the Volunteer Arms,has a good selection of spirits for a wee place its in Ayrshire.

Another good drams Arran whisky its what the Royals used to drink before they pacified the Highlands,its very sweet but very nice.And do a 80 proof version that is knock out laughing gear.I also got into Irish whisky love Tullymoore Dew

Just bought a ten yer old Aberlour for 22 quid out Scotmid,pretty sure it was 35 quid in Tesco.So it was a good deal,its a great mid range dram.Dalry has a good whisky pub in Dalry called the Volunteer Arms,has a good selection of spirits for a wee place its in Ayrshire.

Another good drams Arran whisky its what the Royals used to drink before they pacified the Highlands,its very sweet but very nice.And do a 80 proof version that is knock out laughing gear.I also got into Irish whisky love Tullymoore Dew

Aberlour a'bunadh is the bollocks as far as I'm concered. Mmmmmm...

Going to spend tomorrow morning/lunchtime in Glasgow City Centre looking for Whisky Minatures to purchase so I can sample a few different kinds over Christmas(trying to get into it but unwilling to purchase a whole bottle in case I don't like them!)

Any recommendations for a beginner?

Going to spend tomorrow morning/lunchtime in Glasgow City Centre looking for Whisky Minatures to purchase so I can sample a few different kinds over Christmas(trying to get into it but unwilling to purchase a whole bottle in case I don't like them!)

Any recommendations for a beginner?

Just get a couple of Highland, Islay & Speyside malts to compare. For example, if I tried Macallan only then I might think all Speysides were rank but a second would probably change my mind.

You can sometimes buy wee 4 packs for much the same thing.

Just get a couple of Highland, Islay & Speyside malts to compare. For example, if I tried Macallan only then I might think all Speysides were rank but a second would probably change my mind.

Isn't individual taste a funny thing? I love Macallan and it's one of my favourite speysides. One of the best bottles I've had this year was the Macallan Whisky Makers Edition http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-macallan-whisky-makers-edition-1l/

Ps South Lanarkshire Jag, that website I've just linked to has lots of miniatures and you can even buy samples of some whiskies that won't be bottled in miniatures. The first thing a beginner should try to work out is whether or not they like their whisky peated or not. As Hedgecutter has said get one Islay malt (maybe Lagavulin or Bowmore) and also get a speyside or two (maybe Glenlivet, Macallan or Balvenie). The difference in style should be obvious to anyone, I like both but what is better is purely a matter of preference.

You often get great deals on malts at the West End Garage shop on Strathpeffer Road in Dingwall, if you're passing..

Might just check that out this week, see what's there.

If you're willing to experiment away from peat and bourbon, take the slow road and stop off at the Muir of Ord distillery for a bottle of Glen Ord Singleton. It's the only place you can buy it outside the Far East, and it's nectar, about £35, cheaper if you take the tour.

Isn't individual taste a funny thing? I love Macallan and it's one of my favourite speysides. One of the best bottles I've had this year was the Macallan Whisky Makers Edition http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-macallan-whisky-makers-edition-1l/

Ps South Lanarkshire Jag, that website I've just linked to has lots of miniatures and you can even buy samples of some whiskies that won't be bottled in miniatures. The first thing a beginner should try to work out is whether or not they like their whisky peated or not. As Hedgecutter has said get one Islay malt (maybe Lagavulin or Bowmore) and also get a speyside or two (maybe Glenlivet, Macallan or Balvenie). The difference in style should be obvious to anyone, I like both but what is better is purely a matter of preference.

I've got some minatures of Glenfiddich(12, 15 and 18 year old) with Jura(10, Superstition and Diurachs 16 year old). Looking forward to tasting them later on!

The miniature route is expensive, but would rather try a nip than be stuck with a half bottle unsure if I like it!

The miniature route is expensive, but would rather try a nip than be stuck with a half bottle unsure if I like it!

This is the thing, there's a whole bunch of cracking deals in the supermarket just now for things like Talisker @ £25 but if your whisky liking family member or whoever doesn't like smoke then it's a total waste. At least if it's one of a few miniatures then chances are they'll like at least one of them even if it is more expensive.

This is the thing, there's a whole bunch of cracking deals in the supermarket just now for things like Talisker @ £25 but if your whisky liking family member or whoever doesn't like smoke then it's a total waste. At least if it's one of a few miniatures then chances are they'll like at least one of them even if it is more expensive.

It's not for someone else. It's for me. ;)

I'd rather spend a little bit more money just now to find out what I like, rather than being stuck with a bottle of stuff that I absolutely hate(and therefore would probably not touch after the first dram)

Novice Question: After you open a bottle of whisky is there a recommended consuming time? Does it go "off"?

It's not for someone else. It's for me. ;)

I'd rather spend a little bit more money just now to find out what I like, rather than being stuck with a bottle of stuff that I absolutely hate(and therefore would probably not touch after the first dram)

Novice Question: After you open a bottle of whisky is there a recommended consuming time? Does it go "off"?

Same idea though.

I find that it only goes 'off' (i.e. becomes watery shite) once you hit a certain level down the bottle and leave it like that for ages, maybe leaving it for months with a few inches left. Need to make sure I drink it quick enough at that stage, but perfectly fine once popped open for ages if there's plenty inside. Hidden away in a low, dark place where the room's at it's coolest probably helps though. My mum has whisky in her cabinet which has been there for years and still tastes perfectly fine to me (I'm the only one that drinks it!)

I'm guessing that a wee bit of evaporation occurs over time and it's only noticeable when that hits a certain level. Easier to evaporate things when the volume decreases etc etc

Edited by Hedgecutter

Hmmmm I have about 5 bottles with a couple of nips in the bottom. For some reason I don't like finishing a bottle and like emergency nips of whatever takes my fancy. Probably just best drink them.all tomorrow

I don't like finishing bottles either, especially if they are bottles that will be either difficult or expensive to replace.

Added to my mini collection today with some Dalwhinnie 15 year old, Glenfarclas 10 and 12 year old with a 105 cask strength and The Balvenie 12, 14 and 17 year old.

Looking forward to Monday morning/evening(depends how I feel!!) when I'll get to sample some of these fine Whiskys

Family member is manageress at Glenmorangie distillery - got a 3 litre bottle of 10 year old for xmas last year - result!

Personal favourite is glenmorangie nect a dor - fantastic dram!

My partner's dad works at Glenrothes (the distillery in Moray, not the hole in Fife) so anything made by Edrington Group has a magic discount.

No bias in this, but I genuinely reckon that the Glenrothes Select Reserve or 15yo is the perfect 'middle of the road' dram for any newbie to the world of whisky. It's f****** ace (imo).

My partner's dad works at Glenrothes (the distillery in Moray, not the hole in Fife) so anything made by Edrington Group has a magic discount.

No bias in this, but I genuinely reckon that the Glenrothes Select Reserve or 15yo is the perfect 'middle of the road' dram for any newbie to the world of whisky. It's f****** ace (imo).

When I was just getting into whisky I put off trying Glenrothes as I presumed it was distilled in Glenrothes and that has connotations of shitey-ness. Saying that, Auchentoshan is from Clydebank and it's one of my favourites.