whisky lovers

I love a good dram. (Folk on the BRALT know this) but I never have more than 3 bottles on the go:

1. A light Highland malt. Something douce and easy-drinking. Dalwhinnie? Glen Grant? Doesn't matter. They usually taste the same.

2. A tarry Isay. The best thing in the world to have after dinner with a roll-up. Again, after a beer and a glass or two of wine then they usually taste the same.

3. A decent blended whisky. I like J&B Rare and have done for 25 years. Nice drink if you want to have it with a mixer.

I may well have a poor palate but I do not see the point of paying silly money for sherry-casked Port finished marketing bollocks. It is simple:

A light malt

A peaty malt

A decent blend.

The rest is for fools.

Anyone tried the Ben Riach PX cask finish?

Fancy giving it a go as was well impressed by the laphroig PX.

Good effort on those deals lads.

Haven't tried either of them but I would like to. A lot of my favourite whiskies, (Lagavulin, Bowmore Darkest & Macallan) have all spent some time maturing in sherry casks.

Have you tried any of the Diageo Distillers Edition Range? There was a lagavulin that had been finished in PX casks that was amazing.

I love a good dram. (Folk on the BRALT know this) but I never have more than 3 bottles on the go:

1. A light Highland malt. Something douce and easy-drinking. Dalwhinnie? Glen Grant? Doesn't matter. They usually taste the same.

2. A tarry Isay. The best thing in the world to have after dinner with a roll-up. Again, after a beer and a glass or two of wine then they usually taste the same.

3. A decent blended whisky. I like J&B Rare and have done for 25 years. Nice drink if you want to have it with a mixer.

I may well have a poor palate but I do not see the point of paying silly money for sherry-casked Port finished marketing bollocks. It is simple:

A light malt

A peaty malt

A decent blend.

The rest is for fools.

You definitely have a poor palate if you think all Islays taste the same. I'm sure most people could appreciate the difference between a Lagavulin & a Bunnahabhain. Both great Islay Malts but they are really different.

You're quite right to save your money. It'd be wasted on you.

This is my current collection, will be adding a couple of more bottles of malt shortly, also have a bottle of Grants, Grouse, Ballie Nicol Jarvie and a Monkey Shoulder #27 which is very nice :thumsup2

Kudos, monkey shoulder is a fine whisky. I would have a collection like that if I could stop drinking it. ;)

IMG_0176_zpsa0b0dffc.jpg

This is my current collection, will be adding a couple of more bottles of malt shortly, also have a bottle of Grants, Grouse, Ballie Nicol Jarvie and a Monkey Shoulder #27 which is very nice :thumsup2

Good work!

Have you opened the Blue label? Only ever tried black and am intrigued.

Old P and talisker are class malts.

Good work! Have you opened the Blue label? Only ever tried black and am intrigued. Old P and talisker are class malts.

The Blue Label is unopned, I have however drunk a 20cl bottle of the blue and I can honestly say it is a wonderful drop, that said my personal preference is for the Gold (18 year old, not the Gold reserve), IMHO a much smoother blend, don't get me wrong Blue Label is a very, very nice whisky, just can't quite justify it's £200 a bottle price tag

Edited by keyser_soze

IMG_0176_zpsa0b0dffc.jpg

I have to say, the whisky on the far right, a 24 year old Glen Marnoch, got this for £30 from Aldi - a fucking steal 8)

Good work! Have you opened the Blue label? Only ever tried black and am intrigued. Old P and talisker are class malts.

The Blue Label is unopned, I have however drunk a 20cl bottle of the blue and I can honestly say it is a wonderful drop, that said my personal preference is for the Gold (18 year old, not the Gold reserve), IMHO a much smoother blend, don't get me wrong Blue Label is a very, very nice whisky, just can't quite justify it's £200 a bottle price tag

Thanks for that. It'll have to be a very special occasion to open that blue!

I've seen gold in my local tesco and am keeping my fingers crossed they do some sort of promotion on it. Can but hope. Mind you I go through airports quite often so might buy one there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've only very recently started drinking whisky. Sounds a tad silly, but I wasn't drinking it right.

But a friend had me drinking a couple on a night out and I really enjoy it!

I bought a few bottles while they've been on offer in the shops.

Jura Origin 10 Yr Old

Dalwhinnie 15 Yr Old

Glenmorangie 10 Yr Old (Not tried yet)

Glengoyne 10 Yr Old

Myself and my father often take whiskies round to each other to try. Our most recent additons:

18yo Clynelish

17yo Balblair

Dalmore Cromartie (One of the last of the run)

Dalmore Cigar (The new run)

The Clynelish is the smoothest of the lot, but the Balblair and Cromartie probably just edge it for me as the Clynelish is a little too subtle. The Cigar Malt's an excellent dram, but ranks 4th out of this lot.

Yes it has an "e" in it (nae swedgers) but was at a Rye and Bourbon tasting in the Good Spirits Co on Saturday. Pretty much a newbie to the American stuff but had some lovely stuff and was genuinely interesting to learn more about it. There's a malt tasting in January. Recommend it.

Thanks for that. It'll have to be a very special occasion to open that blue!

I've seen gold in my local tesco and am keeping my fingers crossed they do some sort of promotion on it. Can but hope. Mind you I go through airports quite often so might buy one there.

Just saw this tonight as the thread's had a wee bump recently and I hereby declare it's the first I've ever heard of gold label.

Where does it fit in the 'hierarchy'? Between blue and green? Below blue and green? Or something else?

Having a couple of these tonight. As a novice to whisky, this stuff is really good. And it's the local distillery for me.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 1386371846643.jpg

Ah memories (hazy memories)! We took Glengoyne in our hip flasks on the last trip to Twickenham - it is VERY drinkable, tastes grand out a wee illicit flask, and will forever be known as cooking whisky now.