whisky lovers

Ardbeg was malt of the month in the pub I was in last night. Can't beat the Islay malts.h

I always find it quite entertaining how the malt of the month in most pubs has nothing to do with excellence but just a rotation of whatever 6 bottles they have on the shelf.

Saying that, I am a big fan of the various Ardbeg varieties. I tend to prefer the Islays but I'm fast acquiring a strong taste for many of the Speysides though. Not a great fan of Macallan or Glenfiddich however, both needing to be heavily advertised for a reason imo.

I'm dreaming of a 21yo Glendronach for Christmas if anyone's feeling generous. Only £59.99 though.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Picked up a bottle of balvenie double wood last week in Tesco for £25. Bargain.

Fcuk waiting on Christmas gifts, this is getting bought tomorrow. If somebody happens to get me one for Christmas then more the better. Cheers for the heads up (would greenie but on phone).

That said I do work for Diageo

Cameron Brig?

My mate successfully bid for a bottle of Macallan elegancia the other day. He found a bottle of the stuff in a shop in edinburgh for £140, but he bid £73 on a whisky action site and got it. Guess I will be popping round in a few days.....

I've only got into whisky fairly recently.

My favourite so far is Glengoyne 10yr. I find it very crisp, fresh and not over powering.

My Granda used to work for Johnnie Walker and I knew we had a few bottles of whisky in the loft. Had a look recently to find that it's jam packed with bottles of Blue Label!

This might upset some of the purists on here, but I poured the dregs of bottles of Laphroaig and Southern Comfort into my discrete hip flask for the football yesterday. A surprisingly tasty tipple!

In theory that's a crime against nature

In theory that's a crime against nature

I agree. Temperance and enjoying nature are a superb way of appreciating the World. I went hill walking in Sheriffmuir recently and had a hip flask and some Glenfiddich. I had enough to keep me warm and give me a glow but getting drunk is disgusting and dangerous in that context. Well said Henry

I took delivery of a bottle of 16 year old Scapa and a 10 year old Aberlour last week, courtesy of a colleague whose father-in-law used to work for Diageo, and therefore receives a discount on a very lovely selection of tipples each month. I asked for 12 miniatures of Absolut vodka to be thrown in for my daughter's Christmas. The total cost?

£35 :)

RRP? Something in the region of £105 :)

I've never tried the Scapa, but at less than £16 for the bottle, what's to lose? 10 year old Aberlour is one of the best low costs malts money can buy, so you can't go far wrong with that (not least at £11).

Apologies for sounding a bit smug, but I can't help it....

Currently have only 4 bottles on my 'whisky shelf' - a 14 year old Oban (my personal favorite), 10 year old Talisker, a 12 year old Balvenie and my extra special occasion Johnnie Walker Blue Label :D

That said I do work for Diageo and have a fair whack left of my product allowance (taxable benefit - free booze) so will be adding another couple of bottles before Christmas, thinking of getting in a Cragganmore and a Caol Ila

Caol Ila is a lovely dram. I have never tried the Cragganmore.

I took delivery of a bottle of 16 year old Scapa and a 10 year old Aberlour last week, courtesy of a colleague whose father-in-law used to work for Diageo, and therefore receives a discount on a very lovely selection of tipples each month. I asked for 12 miniatures of Absolut vodka to be thrown in for my daughter's Christmas. The total cost?

£35 :)

RRP? Something in the region of £105 :)

I've never tried the Scapa, but at less than £16 for the bottle, what's to lose? 10 year old Aberlour is one of the best low costs malts money can buy, so you can't go far wrong with that (not least at £11).

Apologies for sounding a bit smug, but I can't help it....

That`s an absolute steal for Scapa, usually retails at £50+ a bottle. If you can get a bottle of Scapa 12 yr old you should give it a blast, superb malt.

That`s an absolute steal for Scapa, usually retails at £50+ a bottle. If you can get a bottle of Scapa 12 yr old you should give it a blast, superb malt.

I've heard great things about the 12 year old Scapa. Reviews of the 16 year old are a bit more mixed, but, as you say, I got it for a great price, so I won't have lost anything if it isn't the best (in any event, I'll enjoy finding out!)

I've got my Christmas stockpile finished now. A bottle of cragganmore, a bottle of royal lochnagar, a lochnagar distillers edition, a singleton of glen ord 12 and a singleton of glen ord 15. Gonna be a good Christmas!

Where did you get the Glen Ords? The distillery?