whisky lovers

When I was just getting into whisky I put off trying Glenrothes as I presumed it was distilled in Glenrothes and that has connotations of shitey-ness. Saying that, Auchentoshan is from Clydebank and it's one of my favourites.

I've never tried Glenrothes despite a few people telling me how good it is. The Select Reserve is only £27 in waitrose but I think this one looks even better value http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10108.aspx

Auchentoshan was the first whisky I liked. It's just so easy to drink and I used to be able to gt it really cheap. But now I find it a bit bland, apart from the brilliant Auchentoshan Three Wood.

I've never tried Glenrothes despite a few people telling me how good it is. The Select Reserve is only £27 in waitrose but I think this one looks even better value http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10108.aspx

Auchentoshan was the first whisky I liked. It's just so easy to drink and I used to be able to gt it really cheap. But now I find it a bit bland, apart from the brilliant Auchentoshan Three Wood.

It's one of the few whiskys I could actually have a few glasses of in resonably quick succession.

I like visiting distilleries and was up at Talisker on Skye during the summer. Most coastal distillieries will spout nonsense about 'salty' notes from the sea and but a boy during the tour pulled the guide up about it. All of Talisker's whisky is immediately transported to central Scotland for storage and maturation, so there will be no 'Skye specific' smells or taste.

The guide basically said, 'look, unless your're going for an extremely well aged whisky (18yrs +), the environment surrounding the storage area has no effect on the taste/smell'.

Edited by Fudge

I don't like finishing bottles either, especially if they are bottles that will be either difficult or expensive to replace.

I was saving one of the rabbie burns 250 year celebration bottles for my pension but ended up rattling it at 6am after an all nighter with a catholic friend from bellshill out of mugs. The neighbours were raging

Jura superstition for £23 is something of a bargain. Where was that? I'm not a fan of the 10 yr Jura but the much peatier superstition hits the spot with burnt wood and licorice tones. I like it - although it does tend to divide opinion.

Jura superstition for £23 is something of a bargain. Where was that? I'm not a fan of the 10 yr Jura but the much peatier superstition hits the spot with burnt wood and licorice tones. I like it - although it does tend to divide opinion.

Picked it up in Morrisons. From your description it sounds like I'll like it. Might have a dram after work tonight and test it out.

Added to my mini collection today with some Dalwhinnie 15 year old, Glenfarclas 10 and 12 year old with a 105 cask strength and The Balvenie 12, 14 and 17 year old. 

Looking forward to Monday morning/evening(depends how I feel!!) when I'll get to sample some of these fine Whiskys

Dalwhinnie is a nice drop

This could confuse things further!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-24509154

A new £6.7m distillery is to be established in Fife following a tie-up between Indian drinks group Kyndal and Perthshire distiller John Fergus & Co.

The two firms have entered into a joint venture for a micro distillery and bonded warehouse in Glenrothes which could be operational by 2015.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Nice wee win on the coupon at the weekend. Going to get a circa £45 bottle. Any recommendations folks? I'm more into my peaty/smoky malts than Speyside stuff.

I'd be going for a standard Lagavuilin 16 tbh. One of my favourites and it's probably slightly under that in the shops.

I'd be getting a tasting before committing to a more pricey bottling. Thankfully my local independent whisky shops gives you that, or I just pop into the pub (ie The Grill here) to buy a single.

Currently having an Auchentoshan which I forgot I had hidden at the back of the cabinet (went in for a Port Charlotte initially). As recently discussed, there was only about 3" left in the bottle but it still tastes rather fine and has obviously avoided that dirty angel bitch.

http://www.smws.co.uk

Have a look at this site if you are into tasting different whiskys.

They source all their own casks. They have a tasting panel who get sent samples of casks from all different distilleries, if they like the sample they will buy the cask and bottle it for sale, single cask, unfiltered, cask strength (some of them 60%). They don't put the distillery name on the bottles as they think this might influence how people rate the whisky, instead they put (admittedly a bit wanky) tasting notes on the bottle. You get a menu and you just choose whichever you like the sound of. If you become a member then you can go to the club rooms in Leith, Queens Street or London and sit about drinking all day (if you can afford it!)

I think you can buy bottles over the internet without being a member, some of the deals are pretty good too. I got 3 bottles for £95 one of which was a 25yo, one an 18 and the other a 12 all of which were very good.

I'm not a huge whisky man myself but had a taste of one recently with an interesting story behind it. It's quite a long story but I'll keep it short.

A customer from work living on the Isle of Mull received a call from a friend in Edinburgh, saying they thought an anonymous notice placed in the Scotsman was seeking a member of her family. On further investigation the notice was placed by the Glenfiddich distillery, looking for the rightful owner of a cask of whisky purchased by this woman's father in 1953. Some of her family went to the distillery to claim the cask, at which point they immediately offered to buy it back from them. She didn't tell me what the offer was, but she turned it down anyway and had the whisky bottled to take away. So they are now in possession of a number of bottles of 60 year old Glenfiddich, only one of which they are opening for the time being, and from which I had a wee nip.

I wonder how much the distillery offered for the cask?

I'm not a huge whisky man myself but had a taste of one recently with an interesting story behind it. It's quite a long story but I'll keep it short.

A customer from work living on the Isle of Mull received a call from a friend in Edinburgh, saying they thought an anonymous notice placed in the Scotsman was seeking a member of her family. On further investigation the notice was placed by the Glenfiddich distillery, looking for the rightful owner of a cask of whisky purchased by this woman's father in 1953. Some of her family went to the distillery to claim the cask, at which point they immediately offered to buy it back from them. She didn't tell me what the offer was, but she turned it down anyway and had the whisky bottled to take away. So they are now in possession of a number of bottles of 60 year old Glenfiddich, only one of which they are opening for the time being, and from which I had a wee nip.

I was talking to someone recently who deals in casks of whisky, and he implied that a 15 year old cask of decent malt can be bought by the distillery for upwards of £10,000, so I shudder to think what that would fetch.

She didn't tell me what the offer was, but she turned it down anyway and had the whisky bottled to take away. So they are now in possession of a number of bottles of 60 year old Glenfiddich, only one of which they are opening for the time being, and from which I had a wee nip.

The duty on that takeaway will have been a high four figure sum. Your nip of whisky alone will have cost that family a fair chunk of taxes. Duties being paid when the cask leaves the bonded warehouse. They were very kindly in their offering!!