What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Anyone going to see Megalopolis?

We've got My Old Ass and The Wild Robot out as well this weekend so it might have to wait. Quite intrigued to see if it's as dogshit as everyone seems to be saying.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)

Another one of my favourite movies growing up.

If you're looking for an intriguing story, a brilliant plot, Shakespearean acting and the dry wit of Oscar Wilde, this is...n't the movie you're looking for.

However, If you're looking for cleavage, silly jokes, a PG-13 story, cleavage, tongue-in-cheek plot, cleavage, burlesque calibre acting... and cleavage, this is the movie you're looking for.

If you don't know Elvira then send me the address of the cave you live in and I'll send you a box containing this DVD, a DVD player and some electricity.

I'm only just old enough to have seen "Elvira's Movie Macabre" when it was first aired. I think I watched it during an airing. Either that or I watched it via bootleg VHS.

Essentially, it's "Mystery Science Theater 3000" with a cleavagey goth chick.

This movie is an extension of the aforementioned show.

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" fans will spot a familiar face in this movie. One of my favourite one-off characters, the Irish priest that Mac "confessed to", about being fat.

This movie is a titillating romp. With the emphasis on the word tit.

I can't look at Elvira without my mind flashing to the character Valeria Watt in "Carry On screaming." It's the cleavage.

Not the best movie you'll watch this year, but definitely one of the funnest and silliest. Plus... cleavage.

If you don't like cleavage, low brow humour, cleavage and goth chicks, we can't be friends.

DD/10

Edited by Chripper

23 hours ago, MSU said:

We've got My Old Ass and The Wild Robot out as well this weekend so it might have to wait. Quite intrigued to see if it's as dogshit as everyone seems to be saying.

Immediately made me think of The Substance for some reason.

31 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Irish Wish (2024) on Netflix.

Really bad, but pretty entertaining for all the wrong reasons. Really weird cinematography, awful accents all over the place, and a pretty incoherent plot. 

Just looked it up, hoping for an Irish Death Wish rip-off. Alas.

Can't help but think they've missed a trick not having Lindsay Lohan blowing away young punks with an outrageous Irish accent.

118 Megalopolis -- There are categories of what I consider bad movies. There are movies that simply aren't written for me, like the Twilight movies. There are those whose awfulness almost becomes fun, like Moonfall, or Pirhana II, or Your Highness. There are those that are horrid cashgrabs like Exorcist: Believer, or Halloween: Resurrection. Megalopolis isn't any of these. 

Instead, it's a movie that's probably made for the right reasons but just collapses in on its own self-importance, pretension, and a singular vision that is never course-correction. It's Kinds of Kindness. It's The Neon Demon. It's A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, oddly another example that exploits the Coppola name, this time Roman Coppola. There's a wee clue there, in how Francis would choose to name his son, and Megalopolis is the unfortunate answer.

Megalopolis, somewhat pretentiously from the opening frames, is presented as a fable, and I tried to keep this in mind. It's a fable, and a fable should use uncommon means to leave us with a moral. So I tried to forgive it its extravagances and the extroversions of its production, but it feel like the movie fought against this at every turn.

With the exception of Shia LaBeouf, everyone here can act so I have to assume that it was a directive choice to have them all act like Shia LaBeouf. There are Shakespearian influences abound -- and if you don't spot it, Adam Driver is here to deliver the soliloquy from Hamlet just to make sure you do -- but it feels like a poor man's attempt at Shakespeare performed in a function room above a pub with a flat roof to an audience of only some of the actors' families. Characters react instantly and in bizarre manners to everything that's said and worse than that, no one feels like a real person, they all feel like a symbol for something.

The story meanders down subplots that never seem to amount to anything or are quickly resolved like they were mistakes, joining scenes seem to be missing, there never feel like there are any stakes, or if there are they weren't communicated.

And for a $100 million movie, everything feels so small and contained, and the potential depth and grandeur is spoiled by green screen, and once Megalopolis is revealed, it's kinda shit, and in a movie that might as well be called Bitter Disappointment, it still manages to be disappointing.

And then at some point approximately two-and-a-bit-hours into it, an alarm went off that signaled that Francis Ford Coppola had run out of vineyards to sell, there was no money left, and five minutes later, it ended.

I honestly went into this with an open mind, somewhat hoping I would end up loving it, but I came out bored beyond tears, toward somewhere approaching anger. The first words I said when the lights came up were that this was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having slept on it, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen -- the music is okay and Grace VanderWaal sings a wee song I quite enjoyed -- but it's close. 1/10

My Old Ass (2024) at Odeon Braehead. 

Really really good. Very funny in places, extremely heartfelt in others and just generally uplifting. Didn't really know what to expect going in, came out pleasantly surprised by the quality. Maisie Stella puts in a great performance, she's come a long way from being the youngest member of the Nashville cast.

Also, Mrs fae the Vale and I were the only ones in the screen, so we got in essence a private screening. Lovely stuff.