What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Oculus - genuinely scary and gripping psychological horror film about a malevolent mirror. The film opens with a young man being released from a State mental institution after committing an act of violence. His sister (Karen Gillan with an authentic American accent) comes to pick him up and reveals her plans to destroy the mirror which was responsible for their situation. The film then continues with two parallel timelines one of which reveals what happened 11 years previously and other in the present when the girl reveals a meticulous plan to destroy the mirror. It's well written, well acted and really creepy. 8/10

I wish I hadn't opened this thread while I'm waiting for the adverts to finish for this...still, I've heard both sides now so I'll see soon enough.

Seen Gone Girl & Nightcrawler in the last week. The latter is excellent with a strong performance from Gyllenhaal, the former was better than the book. Some obvious issues with the film I've decided to overlook, but they've stripped away some of Nick's intelligence for it. Very enjoyable all the same.

[Rec]

Heard it acclaimed on here. I wasn't really impressed. What did I not get? Not as good as other found footage films I've seen nor as scary. Perhaps it was because I built it up to a 10 after seeing it talked about on here. I'd say it's watchable but don't think it deserved the high placing it got on the Top 40 Horror's thread.

6/10.

I despair sometimes, I really do.

Genuinely interested to know what your favourite found-footage movies are, though.

I'd say [REC] is the best found footage horror movie ever. I'd argue it's the best horror movie of any sort.

EDIT: The second V/H/S, Borderlands, The Conspiracy, The Blair Witch Project and Grave Encounters ( avoid the second one at all costs ) are great examples of the genre.

Edited by NewDomDom

I'd say [REC] is the best found footage horror movie ever. I'd argue it's the best horror movie of any sort.

EDIT: The second V/H/S, Borderlands, The Conspiracy, The Blair Witch Project and Grave Encounters ( avoid the second one at all costs ) are great examples of the genre.

Let's just say that The Borderlands is being rented :thumsup2

Just watched V/H/S: Viral. What a shame after the first two.

Speaking of which...

VHS: Viral ( 2014 )

This is not that good. The worst of the VHS series so far. The reason I appreciated the second so much was that outside of one of the sections, it never took itself too seriously. And one of the sections, Safe Haven, was just absolutely fucking spectacular. Each section in this one does actually have cracking moments in it, but you have to go through so much tedious shite that it's almost not worth getting to. Poor show indeed. The climax of the skaters' section was suitably fucked though.

3/10

I despair sometimes, I really do.

Genuinely interested to know what your favourite found-footage movies are, though.

What's to despair about?

My favourite 'found footage' films are Blair Witch and Cloverfield. Neither of which are scary but I think Blair Witch has a better story and Cloverfield whilst, don't get me wrong an absolute shit horror film, is more entertaining. I'm not saying [Rec] was bad - because it was far from being that. I just don't get the critical acclaim because it's not that scary and it's not 'cheesily' enjoyable. It's just alright.

I don't see how people "don't get" critical acclaim. They liked it. You didn't. There isn't really much else to get, is there?

I thought it WAS that scary, and didn't find much of it to be very cheesy either. Certainly as far as providing actual scares go, there's never been a more effective horror movie at doing exactly what a horror movie is supposed to do.

Cloverfield is great fun, but lacks in characters that you can actually give a shit about. A lot of the focus goes on the monster itself and it's reign of terror in the city though, so you can at least get to grips with that side of things.

Blair Witch is more flat out creepy than scary, but it's fairly well done. With the hype it got at the time, people expected a jumping scare fest, when it really isn't that sort of movie.

What's to despair about?

My favourite 'found footage' films are Blair Witch and Cloverfield. Neither of which are scary but I think Blair Witch has a better story and Cloverfield whilst, don't get me wrong an absolute shit horror film, is more entertaining. I'm not saying [Rec] was bad - because it was far from being that. I just don't get the critical acclaim because it's not that scary and it's not 'cheesily' enjoyable. It's just alright.

I just can't imagine anyone not enjoying REC. I actually feel bad for you that you didn't have the same experience that I did. Ah well.

I used to love Blair Witch, but I saw it again recently and was surprised by how badly it stood up to the recent entries in the genre. Didn't think it worked very well in the cinema either; I originally saw a leaked copy with terrible picture quality and it did a cracking job of putting the shits right up me :lol: It was also missing the scene where the Burkittsville resident explains what Rustin Parr did with the kids in the cabin, so I'd no idea what was going on in the last scene. Somehow that made it more disturbing.

I love Cloverfield, still. What a cracker that was in the cinema. Still hoping for a sequel, although the chances of it being worthwhile are slim.

Mystery Road ( 2013 )

There seems to be a thing with bleak, scenic dramas coming out of Australia, and this is another one. It's another good one as well. As with The Rover from earlier this year, it's a very slow burner, but the way this one works is much better and fills the time, as a detective is investigating the murder of a girl, and gradually finds more and more questions than answers as it goes on. We eventually do get all sorts of answers, and the climatic scene on Mystery Road itself is something to behold. Aaron Pederson has won awards for his work in this movie, and it's a cracking performance, but there's good support from pretty much everyone, including the recognisable faces of Ryan Kwanten and Hugo Weaving. Well worth a look.

9/10

Into the Storm ( 2014 )

This one... not so much. Ticks pretty much every single disaster movie cliché on the extensive checklist for one. Where this gets it's positives is that when we get the storm scenes, they're spectacular, so it gets points for that, and there's one fantastic death scene in there. It's not great though.

3/10

EDIT: Worth noting that there's two cliché ridden twister movies that are far better than it.

Edited by NewDomDom

I thought it WAS that scary, and didn't find much of it to be very cheesy either. Certainly as far as providing actual scares go, there's never been a more effective horror movie at doing exactly what a horror movie is supposed .

In your opinion. I thought this was where the film fell flat for me. Scares were just predictable other than the fireman coming down the stairwell.

I just can't imagine anyone not enjoying REC. I actually feel bad for you that you didn't have the same experience that I did. Ah well.

I used to love Blair Witch, but I saw it again recently and was surprised by how badly it stood up to the recent entries in the genre. Didn't think it worked very well in the cinema either; I originally saw a leaked copy with terrible picture quality and it did a cracking job of putting the shits right up me :lol: It was also missing the scene where the Burkittsville resident explains what Rustin Parr did with the kids in the cabin, so I'd no idea what was going on in the last scene. Somehow that made it more disturbing.

I love Cloverfield, still. What a cracker that was in the cinema. Still hoping for a sequel, although the chances of it being worthwhile are slim.

I'll give it another watch in 6 month or so and see what I think then.

Not seen Blair Witch in a good while and I think you're right, I don't think it'd hold up as well today! Agree with you on the potential sequel for Cloverfield as well but that looks slimmer everytime I read up on it.

I'll give it another watch in 6 month or so and see what I think then.

Not seen Blair Witch in a good while and I think you're right, I don't think it'd hold up as well today! Agree with you on the potential sequel for Cloverfield as well but that looks slimmer everytime I read up on it.

I'd imagine REC works best on the first viewing, what with the late merging of horror subgenres and...erm...interesting night-vision spectacle. I liked the mystery aspect of it best, I think, and enjoyed the late reveal. REC 2 is also very good; starts off feeling like a cheap cash-in, but gradually subverts that and becomes an interesting film by itself. The third one is just a generic zombie movie, and a massive disappointment.

There's also the American version, Quarantine, which is virtually a scene-by-scene remake. I'd recommend The Poughkeepsie Tapes, which is by the same director, and is a surprisingly nasty bit of found footage. I also quite enjoyed Devil as an entertaining slice of silliness. The buzz about As Above, So Below put me off, but I'll be curious to see that when it comes out on DVD.

As we're talking Blair Witch, it's worth mentioning the film that it was accused of ripping off at the time, Cannibal Holocaust :wub:

The good thing about a Cloverfield sequel is that they can do it at any time and have it follow directly on from the original, if they want to. There were no characters that would need to return. So I wouldn't give up hope; wouldn't surprise me if they come up with one when Matt Reeves and JJ Abrams get a hole in their schedules (probably when everyone's given up hope).

Edit: forgot Quarantine 2, which I remember being an entertaining little straight-to-video thing, so long as you go in with low expectations.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave