What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'd imagine REC works best on the first viewing, what with the late merging of horror subgenres and...erm...interesting night-vision spectacle. I liked the mystery aspect of it best, I think, and enjoyed the late reveal. REC 2 is also very good; starts off feeling like a cheap cash-in, but gradually subverts that and becomes an interesting film by itself. The third one is just a generic zombie movie, and a massive disappointment.

There's also the American version, Quarantine, which is virtually a scene-by-scene remake. I'd recommend The Poughkeepsie Tapes, which is by the same director, and is a surprisingly nasty bit of found footage. I also quite enjoyed Devil as an entertaining slice of silliness. The buzz about As Above, So Below put me off, but I'll be curious to see that when it comes out on DVD.

As we're talking Blair Witch, it's worth mentioning the film that it was accused of ripping off at the time, Cannibal Holocaust :wub:

The good thing about a Cloverfield sequel is that they can do it at any time and have it follow directly on from the original, if they want to. There were no characters that would need to return. So I wouldn't give up hope; wouldn't surprise me if they come up with one when Matt Reeves and JJ Abrams get a hole in their schedules (probably when everyone's given up hope).

Edit: forgot Quarantine 2, which I remember being an entertaining little straight-to-video thing, so long as you go in with low expectations.

Have you seen "The Green inferno"? I tried to but apparently it was pulled after a row over distribution.

Have you seen "The Green inferno"? I tried to but apparently it was pulled after a row over distribution.

No, but will be interested; looks like it isn't out here until March now.

Been burned by Eli Roth before, however. Cabin Fever was billed as a return to Texas Chain Saw Massacre-style balls-out 70s horror, and I was disappointed, although I've seen it since and it's not that bad for what it is (certainly better than the sequels). So, when I hear that The Green Inferno is a return to balls-out 70s cannibal movies...well, we'll see. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be the relentlessly grim experience that Cannibal Holocaust is, probably more Cannibal Ferox I'd imagine, but I like the sound of the "green do-gooders get a nasty surprise" angle.

Not that I have a problem with green activists, BTW :P

I know it is. Which is why I don't claim to "not get" the opinion of others. Clearly other people will get something out of a movie that you didn't. That's kind of how that works.

Not sure why you're upset tbh. Not unlike you to make a pointless drama though. Of course other people will get something out of the film that I didn't. That's why I was asking on here what I missed.

On the subject of found footage, The Den is a good effort. The opening stuff has some terrific comedy and then after that it moves into some real creepy stuff. It gets ridiculous at times and some of the points, there's absolutely no way they'd be holding the camera, and while that's always been a problem for movies like this, it's more noticeable than ever with this one. Get past that though, should be enjoyable.

On the subject of found footage, The Den is a good effort. The opening stuff has some terrific comedy and then after that it moves into some real creepy stuff. It gets ridiculous at times and some of the points, there's absolutely no way they'd be holding the camera, and while that's always been a problem for movies like this, it's more noticeable than ever with this one. Get past that though, should be enjoyable.

Aye, I quite liked that one too. I'm easy pleased with the whole believability of found footage movies because the entire concept is ludicrous to me, so I'm happy to go along with the rest of it. Seriously, who sees something horrific (and possibly life-threatening) happen and reaches for the camera? :huh:

Seriously, who sees something horrific (and possibly life-threatening) happen and reaches for the camera? :huh:

The vast majority of humanity, type "traffic accident" into YouTube and see how many millions pop up

Edited by RandomGuy.

The vast majority of humanity, type "traffic accident" into YouTube and see how many millions pop up

True enough. Once again, I can but shake my head in bemusement.

No, but will be interested; looks like it isn't out here until March now.

Been burned by Eli Roth before, however. Cabin Fever was billed as a return to Texas Chain Saw Massacre-style balls-out 70s horror, and I was disappointed, although I've seen it since and it's not that bad for what it is (certainly better than the sequels). So, when I hear that The Green Inferno is a return to balls-out 70s cannibal movies...well, we'll see. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be the relentlessly grim experience that Cannibal Holocaust is, probably more Cannibal Ferox I'd imagine, but I like the sound of the "green do-gooders get a nasty surprise" angle.

Not that I have a problem with green activists, BTW :P

I hated those Italian horrors tbh especially Eaten Alive although the Deodato films aren't much better. They're the punk rock of horror and I could never see the attraction to them. The idea of Climate Change nutters being killed on film isn't something I'd enjoy. Far better to see them make c**ts of themselves trying to get through ice ;)

Nightcrawler

Solid film that gets pushed up a couple of points because of Jake Gyllenhaal's terrific performance (that said, he's not going to win an Oscar). Darkly comic at times, and it has a surprising amount of depth to it. Some nods to films like Network as well.

It does feel a bit disjointed at times but that's a minor criticism really. Another word on Gyllenhaal though, he plays a thoroughly realistic sociopath exceptionally well - like a down and out, more disturbing Patrick Bateman.

I feel it might well get "cult film" status like Drive did (even though they aren't similar films).

A-

Edited by yoda

Nightcrawler

Solid film that gets pushed up a couple of points because of Jake Gyllenhaal's terrific performance (that said, he's not going to win an Oscar). Darkly comic at times, and it has a surprising amount of depth to it. Some nods to films like Network as well.

It does feel a bit disjointed at times but that's a minor criticism really. Another word on Gyllenhaal though, he plays a thoroughly realistic sociopath exceptionally well - like a down and out, more disturbing Patrick Bateman.

I feel it might well get "cult film" status like Drive did (even though they aren't similar films).

A-

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a nomination. He absolutely rules this film.

All in all I really really liked Nightcrawler. It's a thoroughly enjoyable film and as mentioned, Gylenhall absolutely kills it. It's well acted all round but he really stands out. However one bit doesn't sit well with me.

When he tricks Riz Ahmed's character into getting shot. Why didn't Lou get shot when he first clocked the killer was alive and then again when the killer crawled out the car wreck? I guess when he first spots the guys still alive he may of been coming to, but when he gets out and just stares Lou out before wobbling off to his death? Que?

mrcat1990, on 03 Nov 2014 - 17:47, said:

All in all I really really liked Nightcrawler. It's a thoroughly enjoyable film and as mentioned, Gylenhall absolutely kills it. It's well acted all round but he really stands out. However one bit doesn't sit well with me.

When he tricks Riz Ahmed's character into getting shot. Why didn't Lou get shot when he first clocked the killer was alive and then again when the killer crawled out the car wreck? I guess when he first spots the guys still alive he may of been coming to, but when he gets out and just stares Lou out before wobbling off to his death? Que?

Looked to me like he's seen that he's stirring and got out of the way. When Rick walks around, he still hasn't fully come around yet.

We Are The Best 7/10

A bunch of 12 year old Swedish lesbians form a punk rock band to piss off the school jocks and bring down the man. Endearing!

Venus In Fur 0/10

Really fucking boring. Just two people talking for an hour and a half. There's no whiplash girl child in shiny boots of leather here old boy so put your cock away.

From Hell.

Really enjoyed this film on first watching. Since then I've read the original graphic novel. You'd think I'd be majorly disappointed in the film since then, but no it's the shoddy acting despite a stellar cast that actually lets this film down since re-watching it years later. Piss poor whodunit. 5/10.

Nightcrawler

A-

Funnily enough the trailer made me think of both Drive and American Psycho. Which definitely is no bad thing, definitely going to see this.