What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guest SaintGareth

Think your being harsh here, was based on a true story so how is it americanised tripe? THought it was a very good film, and brilliantly acted by Cuba gooding Jr. :ph34r:

Exactly, like I said it had a good story underneath. However, the salutes, general comradery and top gun bullshit was cringeworthy.

Exactly, like I said it had a good story underneath. However, the salutes, general comradery and top gun bullshit was cringeworthy.

It was apparently supposed to be very true in that sense, so how can it be bullshit?

It was apparently supposed to be very true in that sense, so how can it be bullshit?

The story, if it is true, IS moving and inspiring, it's just a shame that the film based on the story is schmaltzy, sentimental, manipulitave shite.

It's as if the director had a list of Cheesy Underdog Triumphing Against Adversity cliches which he checked off.

Gruff bully who eventually softens - check

Swelling strings in the background of every supposed 'moving' scene - check

Uptight superior who gets embarassing comeuppance - check

etc etc

This film made me nauseous thanks to it's blend of Grade A Hollywood cheese and unsubtle American jingoism.

The story, if it is true, IS moving and inspiring, it's just a shame that the film based on the story is schmaltzy, sentimental, manipulitave shite.

It's as if the director had a list of Cheesy Underdog Triumphing Against Adversity cliches which he checked off.

Gruff bully who eventually softens - check

Swelling strings in the background of every supposed 'moving' scene - check

Uptight superior who gets embarassing comeuppance - check

etc etc

This film made me nauseous thanks to it's blend of Grade A Hollywood cheese and unsubtle American jingoism.

it is true ;) they have documentaries on the real life person all the time. ;)

although discussing this makes me want to watch Radio now :) (another film you all probably think is sentimental manipulative shite :rolleyes: )

Guest SaintGareth

It was not the story which was bullshit, but the portrayal of the story.

The longest yard 3/10 would have been alright if it wasn't a blatant rip off of mean machine

FFS how many times do i have to say on this topic, IT WAS A RIP OFF OF THE LONGEST YARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

The longest yard 3/10 would have been alright if it wasn't a blatant rip off of mean machine

I love it when people acuse films of being rip-offs despite the fact that the original came out decades before the film which they claim has been ripped off...

That b*****d Cushing ripped off John Carpenter's Vampires! :angry:

:lol:

Didn't know that, only thought it coz i saw mean machine before longest yard

The original "Longest Yard" was called "The Mean Machine" in the UK... so the Mean Machine and "Longest Yard" remakes were both rip-offs of it...

Just to confuse you :lol: