What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just watched the last picture show.

I would go as far as saying this is a must see. I had previously never heard of it but it is exceptionally good. About american town life, and i think it more or less sums it up Also, it has a young jeff bridges who is very good. All his films are at least good.

Mississippi Burning

I had never seen this before, despite being really interested in it. The backwards nature of the people in the town is put across magnificently, and Brad Dourif especially plays his part down to a tee. The casting right across the board is actually amazing. Gene Hackman in particular is astonishingly good. He always seems on the brink of something, and the straight Willem Defoe makes a great contrast to Hackman and his close madness the whole way. It's a bit sentimental with it's ending. I get that the movie had a point to make, but the movie lost some of it's narrative credibility in that sense. If people are backwards, they'll most likely remain that way.

9/10

Just watched the last picture show.

I would go as far as saying this is a must see. I had previously never heard of it but it is exceptionally good. About american town life, and i think it more or less sums it up Also, it has a young jeff bridges who is very good. All his films are at least good.

Sorry, but his version of True Grit was awful as was his performance.

Good argument, well made.

The movie even looks good which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise given that it's a Coen movie. The plot is incredibly well played out, and ALL of the casting was top drawer. Matt Damon's miserable b*****d is great fun, as is the lead.

Good argument, well made.

The movie even looks good which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise given that it's a Coen movie. The plot is incredibly well played out, and ALL of the casting was top drawer. Matt Damon's miserable b*****d is great fun, as is the lead.

The casting in the original was 'top drawer', it was shot better, the remake lifted scene after scene and failed to have the same impact, etc etc etc.

better?

Typing 'lol' was just quicker.

I'll give you the casting, but I don't think that version is nearly as involving. It certainly wasn't shot better. The new True Grit looks absolutely amazing. Then again, the new one has the advantage of being... well... new. It still looks much better though.

Impact of a movie is overrated. A Serbian Movie had an impact. Does that make it good?

The Daniel Project

No idea what to make of it. Struggled to find anything online about it other than stuff from the film itself. It's on Netflix & Youtube, but doesn't have a wiki page, any notable reviews that I could find or even an imdb page which I found baffling. Worth a watch, left me feeling a bit perplexed however, as I'm usually instantly dismissive of prophetic documentaries, but this one seems to keep a steady pace with a jab every so often. I found the people in it annoying though. Anyone else seen it?

4/10

I'll give you the casting, but I don't think that version is nearly as involving. It certainly wasn't shot better. The new True Grit looks absolutely amazing. Then again, the new one has the advantage of being... well... new. It still looks much better though.

Impact of a movie is overrated. A Serbian Movie had an impact. Does that make it good?

I thought you must have forgotten about Duvall + Hopper :D , and maybe it is just me that prefers Technicolor???

I will despair the day comes, and it will, that The Searchers is redone :(

Jeff Bridges was magnificent, and that version of True Grit is far superior to the overrated original.

I agree. I'd say only Robert Duvall is better in the original than their remake counterparts. (Wunfellaff mentioned Dennis Hopper but I can't recall his character). I prefer Bridges to Wayne. Damon to Campbell. Hailee Steinfeld was much, much better as Mattie Ross in the remake. And I thought Josh Brolin was better than his counterpart.

All his films are at least good.

The Contender isn't. A great idea for a film, a good "bad guy" in Gary Oldman but it goes downhill very quickly once they decide to destroy the good idea and make it some Democrat fairytale <_< Jeff Bridges annoys me in it as well, I'm not quite sure how he got an Academy Award nomination for his performance.

The Contender isn't. A great idea for a film, a good "bad guy" in Gary Oldman but it goes downhill very quickly once they decide to destroy the good idea and make it some Democrat fairytale <_< Jeff Bridges annoys me in it as well, I'm not quite sure how he got an Academy Award nomination for his performance.

Because he's the President. AND ANY UNIVERSE WHERE HE'S THE PRESIDENT IS A GODLY ONE.

I agree. I'd say only Robert Duvall is better in the original than their remake counterparts. (Wunfellaff mentioned Dennis Hopper but I can't recall his character). I prefer Bridges to Wayne. Damon to Campbell. Hailee Steinfeld was much, much better as Mattie Ross in the remake. And I thought Josh Brolin was better than his counterpart.

600px-TrueGritWin92-3.jpg

Hopper played 'Moon' who gets chibbed to death........

I thought you must have forgotten about Duvall + Hopper :D , and maybe it is just me that prefers Technicolor???

I will despair the day comes, and it will, that The Searchers is redone :(

The Searchers is a fabulous movie though, which is the difference here. Also, nobody would be forcing you to watch this remake. So I don't see what difference it makes whether it gets done or not.

Watched 'Avengers Assemble' at the weekend.

Sucker for a super hero type movie and overall thought it was quite good. Only complaint is that the final large battle scene could have been longer. Took 2 hours to set up the battle and it was over in 20 minutes.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Wellboy1978

Watched Prometheus at last. I'm going to go against the grain here and say I quite enjoyed it. I think the fact that it has been pretty much panned helped, I wasn't expecting much from it. It's also been years since I've watched any of the Alien(s) films. Sure, there's some plot holes and the script wasn't amazing, but it was shot beautifully and there were a couple of brilliant performances. I'd give it a 7.

Also watched some daft found footage movie last night, VHS. It's like a horror compendium in the style of the old Tales From The Crypt movies. Was ok, it got a bit silly towards the end and it was overly long but one or two of the little segments were decent enough.

Just watched Prometheus.

I don't eh...I can't eh.....what?

Wasn't very good at all to be honest. I felt like nothing really happened and there was just more questions than answers which I'm told was the point so they could make a sequel, if so thats really weak. They didnt give any slight indication as to why things went the way they did which I thought was very poor. Michael Fassbender was really good as the borderline sinister David. Noomi Rapace I felt was just rather annoying, and Charlize Theron's character was pretty much not needed at all.

I recognised 90% of the cast straight from the off which was a nice surprise seeing some of them in a huge movie like this. But most of them had accents for no reason, probably because a large number of them were English/Scottish and didnt want to have it lean towards any single nation so as to appear like a global company but most of their accents were absolutely dire. Idris Elba im looking at you.