Monday Night Raw Live

Ludo*1

I guess you missed the match of the night last month then cause the Usos vs Shield was fantastic.

How is that the sensible thing? Not everything in real life needs to be taken onto the screen. Just leave it, his personal life is exactly that.

I can get where you're coming from - I suppose it would really depend on how Darren Young feels about the whole situation. If he's comfortable with bringing it on-screen then they could, in theory, do a storyline that's never really been done before in the company (afaik) which ties in nicely with the B A * anti-bullying work they do and has a fairly positive message.

From a purely cynical WWE point of view, the story is being covered in a fair few news sources and could easily get them some positive mainstream media exposure.

Darren's also pretty good in the ring so if I were given a choice between another fucking Khali or Miz segment, or the above there's only one winner for me.

They shouldn't do anything with it. Just leave him be. 'Being gay' isn't a gimmick. They may as well just give him a 'black' gimmick whilst they're at it they're going to make any fuss over his sexuality.

Give their dubious history with the issue of homosexuality (I'm looking at you Cena and Punk), this a great opportunity for WWE to do...nothing. Just treat him as another guy, show that his sexuality doesn't matter. I'm pretty certain that the majority of wrestlers in WWE most likely already knew and most likely don't give a shit. I'm sure there will also be a couple of p***ks who do care, but they are p***ks.

Again - I guess it really depends on what Darren Young wants to do. If he's comfortable with creative using it as a storyline and it's handled tactfully - i.e. not giving him a flaming, obnoxious homosexual gimmick but something more like an anti-bullying message - I really think they could create some entertaining feel-good stuff from it.

Disagree with the "being black" thing too - homosexuality is still somewhat of a taboo within wider society and definetly within wrestling. We've had black wrestlers for decades, but virtually no homosexual ones. Pat Patterson and Orlando Jordan are the only two that spring to mind, and Patterson didn't come out while he was active.

I guess you missed the match of the night last month then cause the Usos vs Shield was fantastic.

I did. I don't watch a lot of the PPVs live because of work so I tend to miss the pre-show. I will be sure to catch it this time though, whether I watch it live or not.

I can get where you're coming from - I suppose it would really depend on how Darren Young feels about the whole situation. If he's comfortable with bringing it on-screen then they could, in theory, do a storyline that's never really been done before in the company (afaik) which ties in nicely with the B A * anti-bullying work they do and has a fairly positive message.

From a purely cynical WWE point of view, the story is being covered in a fair few news sources and could easily get them some positive mainstream media exposure.

Darren's also pretty good in the ring so if I were given a choice between another fucking Khali or Miz segment, or the above there's only one winner for me.

Again - I guess it really depends on what Darren Young wants to do. If he's comfortable with creative using it as a storyline and it's handled tactfully - i.e. not giving him a flaming, obnoxious homosexual gimmick but something more like an anti-bullying message - I really think they could create some entertaining feel-good stuff from it.

Disagree with the "being black" thing too - homosexuality is still somewhat of a taboo within wider society and definetly within wrestling. We've had black wrestlers for decades, but virtually no homosexual ones. Pat Patterson and Orlando Jordan are the only two that spring to mind, and Patterson didn't come out while he was active.

You're totally missing the point here. Being gay is something he is, who he is. If they give him a gimmick of 'being gay' then they'd be as well as giving him a gimmick of 'being black', or 'being a man', or 'having large hair' or having whatever colour of eyes he has etc. Also I'd wager there were plenty of homosexual wrestlers over the years, but very few who were open about it. It was well known that Pat Patterson was gay, yet his gimmick wasn't one of simply 'being gay'.

And is homosexuality still somewhat of a taboo in society today? I think it's widely 'accepted' (in that most people don't care and don't see it as anything major really) save for a minority of bigots that are opposed to it either due to religion or simply being awful peope (although bigots who hide behind religion are also awful people).

I'm getting the impression something is going to happen in terms of the Del Rio - Christian match. I just can't see how Del Rio - Christian was booked as a title match when no one gives a toss about either of them. The only thing that puts me off that is that Sandow and Rhodes are facing off in quite a heated rivalry so I doubt there is a cash in of the briefcase.

In other news, I'm actually rooting for John Cena in the championship match. I don't see the great attraction towards Daniel Bryan. Granted if you've been watching for much of Cena's career, unlike me, you're probably sick to the back teeth of him. I really enjoyed Cena's promotion this week on Raw. Although it was clearly an act of emotional manipulation, I got the impression that he almost broke character so heartfelt was it. I hope he wins and a better successor to him is found than Daniel Bryan. Though I will say they're clearly working towards a fork in the road and I wouldn't be surprised if this time next week neither of them are champion be that due to a cash in on Summerslam or Raw.

I'm getting the impression something is going to happen in terms of the Del Rio - Christian match. I just can't see how Del Rio - Christian was booked as a title match when no one gives a toss about either of them. The only thing that puts me off that is that Sandow and Rhodes are facing off in quite a heated rivalry so I doubt there is a cash in of the briefcase.

Sandow cashes in after the title match, rhodes-sandow is later and is then changed to a title match. Rhodes wins and so Sandow wins and loses the world title in the same night?

Sandow cashes in after the title match, rhodes-sandow is later and is then changed to a title match. Rhodes wins and so Sandow wins and loses the world title in the same night?

The card on Wikipedia has the Sandow - Rhodes match prior to the WHC match. I'm not sure how accurate or set in stone that would be but it makes sense that a world championship match would be higher up the promotion than a straight up singles match.

While I'm here, do any of you guys listen to The Attitude Era podcast?

Though it's hosted by a trio of bellends, it's actually pretty good. It runs through the PPVs from that period and with a focus on the matches themselves as well as the storylines. It's amazing how much I'd forgotten about wrestling at the time. It's a fun trip back to my childhood even if it is hosted by three tiresome knobs.

The card on Wikipedia has the Sandow - Rhodes match prior to the WHC match. I'm not sure how accurate or set in stone that would be but it makes sense that a world championship match would be higher up the promotion than a straight up singles match.

The wiki running order is never the way it actually runs, and WHC is usually early on the card. Can't see this particular match being much further up from the opener tbh.

Well now. Whats gonna happen tonight?

Vince and Steph are surely going to get involved - were they in on Orton cashing in all along? Will Vince turn face with a promo about how Daniel Bryan has won him over and is the champion the WWE universe deserves?

I'm seriously rooting for a Corporation type deal.

How long will it take for folk to start creaming themselves talking about a Shane McMahon return in order to lead an opposing faction?

That would be unspeakably terrible and I would seriously consider kicking an animal if it happened. Not that it will. The internet hasn't grasped that it won't happen (the return of Shane McMahon that is).