Monday Night Raw Live

Ludo*1

more people will tune in if it's unpredictable and exciting. You shouldn't have to bribe people to watch the product with the promise of a big star being there.

That's not a long-term plan. Of course you should always try and have the occasional surprise but you should still be advertising matches and segments for the next week. The only reason they don't is because they don't have a fucking clue what's going to happen themselves.

Look at NXT. It's all planned months in advance and it's all geared to building for the big shows, which nearly always deliver.

That's not a long-term plan. Of course you should always try and have the occasional surprise but you should still be advertising matches and segments for the next week. The only reason they don't is because they don't have a fucking clue what's going to happen themselves.

Look at NXT. It's all planned months in advance and it's all geared to building for the big shows, which nearly always deliver.

It needs a bit of both.  They should definitely be advertising certain matches.  Not convinced about segments, as often they're pretty identikit and boring - would advertising that the authority are going to do a segment really pop anyone?  The segments you absolutely need to keep as surprises are the ones that I think grumswall was talking about.  Say Rollins is imminently on his way back to action, and the plan is for him to start a feud with a heel Reigns.  Two options - they announce it prior to the show, or they let it be a complete surprise.

Short term, your idea probably works, as you can guarantee they'll get more viewers.  But it completely ruins what would be an amazing pop.  I think you can get away with doing both, but like you say, that takes them knowing exactly what's going to happen, which they seem to have no idea of.  I don't see any issue with them releasing a few days prior that they're going to pit Sami Zayn against someone different, and Owens against someone different again, as that might make people want to tune in, but you should absolutely keep it unpredictable in the other aspects.  That's the only thing that will properly get people watching week on week.

It's never going to be NXT, they're two different entities with two different priorities.  It's unfair to compare them. 

It needs a bit of both.  They should definitely be advertising certain matches.  Not convinced about segments, as often they're pretty identikit and boring - would advertising that the authority are going to do a segment really pop anyone?  The segments you absolutely need to keep as surprises are the ones that I think grumswall was talking about.  Say Rollins is imminently on his way back to action, and the plan is for him to start a feud with a heel Reigns.  Two options - they announce it prior to the show, or they let it be a complete surprise.

Short term, your idea probably works, as you can guarantee they'll get more viewers.  But it completely ruins what would be an amazing pop.  I think you can get away with doing both, but like you say, that takes them knowing exactly what's going to happen, which they seem to have no idea of.  I don't see any issue with them releasing a few days prior that they're going to pit Sami Zayn against someone different, and Owens against someone different again, as that might make people want to tune in, but you should absolutely keep it unpredictable in the other aspects.  That's the only thing that will properly get people watching week on week.

It's never going to be NXT, they're two different entities with two different priorities.  It's unfair to compare them. 

A pop is great if you're watching the show but it doesn't result in higher ratings, bigger crowds or more merch sold.

A pop is great if you're watching the show but it doesn't result in higher ratings, bigger crowds or more merch sold.

Longer term it will.  If you put out predictable show after predictable show - like they were towards the end of last year - no-ones going to dedicate three hours of their Monday night to watch RAW.  If you've done something unexpected for a few weeks, it's going to make people more inclined to watch.  Same as any show really.  The only time I've ever been tempted to watch anything more than just the shortened youtube clips was the Daniel Bryan retirement show (at the point where it wasn't entirely certain what was going on) and the post-Wrestlemania show (again, after the fever dream that was Wrestlemania, who knows what was going to happen).

Having said that, ratings aren't really as important as they used to be.  I'm sure Vince said on one of the conference calls that they used to live and die by the ratings, but now with all the ways you can watch, there's less emphasis. 

Edited by forameus

I can't believe you fall for that. He's saying the ratings don't matter as much because their ratings are shite! WWE would be dead in the water within a couple of years without their various TV deals, so the ratings are still very crucial. 

Let's be honest, there's almost nothing they could do that would make a 3-hour RAW appealing, unless it was a special event following months of two-hour or 90 minute shows. Three hours is too long for a weekly show, especially if it's not a great show to begin with.

I can't remember anytime in the last 15 years that a big pop or big surprise has resulted in a long-term ratings increase btw.

Vince looks like time is catching up with him these days. Even his voice is losing its strength.

He is 70 odd.

I've seen continuing rumours that Stephanie and Shane will get on in the lead up to Extreme Rules, with a brand split thereafter. Maybe a WWE line to get Smackdown back up to Scratch?

I remember the days I used to prefer Smackdown to Raw.

He is 70 odd.

I've seen continuing rumours that Stephanie and Shane will get on in the lead up to Extreme Rules, with a brand split thereafter. Maybe a WWE line to get Smackdown back up to Scratch?

I remember the days I used to prefer Smackdown to Raw.

Pretty much when Smackdown had the bigger stars.. or rather more of them, Raw had Cena... Triple H... guess that was it really. Smackdown had Undertaker, Batista, Mysterio, Orton, Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Kane etc.

Good god, not only are the Raw ad breaks frequent. But they're terribly done, pretty much everything cutting over each other before the British ads start. Yet you watch SmackDown and there's no problem with like a WWE Network show ad cutting over the show's Sky sponsor or vice versa