Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

He won't be dynamic enough anymore

His game was never about pace though? Hes not lost a yard since his injury as it was never about that.

The "Spoony chop" will never die, as Paul McGowan could attest to...

He done similar to Hakimi at the World Cup about at the end of last year.

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Based on how he was three years ago? I'm not even sure where we'd try and fit him in our current system, is he a Matty Todd backup? He won't be dynamic enough anymore to fill the KRH void. 

He was a great player, I'm not sure he is now. 

I dunno what David Wotherspoon has done to offend you, but you've got saints fans on here saying they wanted to keep him in the league above you (not just through sentiment) and who have watched him over the last 10 years.

Spoony's play has never been based on being dynamic or quick. It's his skill and ability on the ball that sets him apart. I won't pretend to know what formation McPake plans on playing for you guys this season, but if you play him off the left or behind a front man, he'll contribute goals and assists. His only flaw is trying too hard, other than that there are zero downsides to signing him.

2 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Just looked it up and the Gold Cup doesn’t end until 17th July. I’d imagine Canada will be around towards the end? 

They play the US in the next round who will likely knock them out, he better sign after all this

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

His only flaw is that he tries too hard? With a write-up like that, the guy should be playing at the fucking World Cup! 

He did.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Based on how he was three years ago? I'm not even sure where we'd try and fit him in our current system, is he a Matty Todd backup? He won't be dynamic enough anymore to fill the KRH void. 

He was a great player, I'm not sure he is now. 

Based on how he still is. He played 23 times for St Johnstone last year. He was deemed good enough to go the World Cup. He's deemed good enough to still be involved with Canada, currently at the Gold Cup. He's won three major trophies with St Johnstone, played in multiple European games and has approximately 510 games at Premiership level, giving some pretty good experience. He's only 33, so still plenty of time left in his career.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I dunno what David Wotherspoon has done to offend you, but you've got saints fans on here saying they wanted to keep him in the league above you (not just through sentiment) and who have watched him over the last 10 years.

Spoony's play has never been based on being dynamic or quick. It's his skill and ability on the ball that sets him apart. I won't pretend to know what formation McPake plans on playing for you guys this season, but if you play him off the left or behind a front man, he'll contribute goals and assists. His only flaw is trying too hard, other than that there are zero downsides to signing him.

He's done nothing to offend me at all, but it's a tale as old as time. Club stalwart (Or in this case, Legend) leaves a club, leaving fans of said club bending over backwards to proclaim that if he drops a tier to negate his advancing years he'll tear it up, it's got about as great a hit rate as when you get told the youth player you've just signed is highly rated. 

In this case there's red flags going off all over the shop with regards to him as a signing, coming off a bad injury, will be 34 midway through the season, has barely played for a while, hasn't played consistently well in quite a while, and the caveat of course of no one actually being sure how on earth he'd fit into the team. 

If there are downsides to us signing him, what were the downsides for St Johnstone? Managed by a former teammate (and you'd presume pal), going by last night you have a really, really thin squad as things stand, and despite Wotherspoon having it in him to be the most talented player in the Championship you haven't offered him a deal? He's a boyhood Saintee so you'd presume if anyone was willing to take a hit with regards to wages it'd be him surely? 

He's had a fantastic career, and is a player I would've bitten your hand off for in the past, but not now. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

His game was never about pace though? Hes not lost a yard since his injury as it was never about that.

The "Spoony chop" will never die, as Paul McGowan could attest to...

He done similar to Hakimi at the World Cup about at the end of last year.

All that for that cross! You're a big fan of metrics RandomGuy, how does Wotherspoons look from last season? If the shoe was on the other foot and you had no emotional attachments, would you be going for him, and why? 

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Based on how he still is. He played 23 times for St Johnstone last year. 

0 goals and 0 assists btw, to get his last assist you're going back to August '21, November '20 for his last goal. 

I'm just not seing it matey, I'm not disputing he's had a great career. But then so have Dorrans and McGowan and they didn't quite set the the place on fire either, father time is a cruel mistress and waits for no c**t. If he signs I'll be delighted to be proved wrong right enough. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Wotherspoon > McGowan

I'd agree with that. I'm not quite sure what we're doing with McGowan either. It's odd. 

48 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

If there are downsides to us signing him, what were the downsides for St Johnstone?

As far as I understand it they are very much going with youth, and so anyone who is even a little older is going to be seeing less and less game time. The assistant manager was formerly manager of the under 18s so has worked with those guys before. 

If we are signing them three, we’ll be back in a ditch before we know it, and will probably go straight back down with a midfield that can barely run the length of itself. 

Haven't heard anything but I am surprised we haven't been linked with Alex Jakubiak yet.

McPake previously signed him for Dundee, we need a striker and he's at a good age and probably a realistic target for us, albeit he has had injury problems in the past.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

what were the downsides for St Johnstone?

Ask Steven MacLean, but he'll likely blame Callum Davidson.

We had over 30 senior players contracted last season, over the past 18 months have spent more on fees than since the early 00s, and likely had the highest wage bill since then too. All for consecutive relegation battles and no cup runs.

MacLeans task was to slash the wages spent, and also lower the age of the squad.

He wants to play 4-3-3 with high intensity in the front 3, which means Wotherspoon would be likely looked as one of the attacking midfielders in the midfield 3 (where he played at the end of Tommy Wrights time in charge + in 20/21). But Callum Davidson had already made sure we had Graham Carey, Ali Crawford, Cammy Ballantyne, Max Kucheriavyi and Alex Ferguson looking to play that same role. We can only fit 2 of those in at one time.

Carey and Crawford are on massive wages and won't be going anywhere, as nobody would pay them close to that again. So that means Wotherspoon is a likely casualty from a wages side. Ballantyne impressed when played at the end of the season, Max impressed against Celtic earlier this season, and Fergusons potentials huge. Thats then 3 promising youngsters, cheaper than Wotherspoon, already contracted.

I think it came down to MacLean having to try and keep Wotherspoon, or try to keep Melker Hallberg, and MacLean chose Hallberg. I don't agree with that, but Hallberg can play more roles in midfield than Wotherspoon so would be easier to work into the team around whichever youngster breaks through.

All that for that cross! You're a big fan of metrics RandomGuy, how does Wotherspoons look from last season? If the shoe was on the other foot and you had no emotional attachments, would you be going for him, and why? 

spoon2.thumb.png.e929e615fc0a04eec5c215c134c4c0de.png

If he was a random 33yo coming from a better division, I'd not be too happy if he was seen as a starter based on this, and his injury issues.

But I didn't agree with us signing Craig Bryson a few years ago for those exact issues, and his performances in 20/21 were up there with some of the best I've seen from any Saints CM in terms of controlling games.

I still can't believe KRH is gonna be out for three months. The only saving grace is McKay says it's not something that will cause future problems. Good thing is he is a fit laddie so I have no doubts he'll get up to fitness pretty quickly once he can train again.

On other news, how much does Matty Todd suit the #10 jersey. Mad to think, a couple of years ago he was a youth team player getting a chance under Stevie Crawford, then featured as a right back quite a bit under Yogi, keeping actual right back Aaron Comrie out the team. Never could I have imagined that he would go on to have such a big season last season and has now been given the nod as essentially our main man. Love the kid!