Walking Down The Halbeath Road

11 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

There was a short interview in the Courier with Thomas Meggle. Can't remember fully but it was along the lines of the board having the final say but he was involved with the mangement team.

Hanks mate. 
I’d have thought the manager would have identified the players he would like then Meggle/the board would negotiate a deal if one could be had? 
isn't that the way most clubs would do it, or is that too many people involved as suggested by SRB? 

Edited by Wacky

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Hanks mate. 
I’d have thought the manager would have identified the players he would like then Meggle/the board would negotiate a deal if one could be had? 
isn't that the way most clubs would do it, or is that too many people involved as suggested by SRB? 

Meggle and Cook have a say in what players come in too. More a say with age and potential rather than identifying individuals I think.

Not just trying to bring in the management teams targets. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Genuine question. Do you know who’s all involved with signings? 
I’m new to P&B, but have read the site for a good while. I have seen many posts where people apparently know the inner workings of our/their club, it surprises me how many fans know what goes on behind the scenes at our club. 
I don’t do any social media sites other than this place, but it like to know where I’ll find the information that some on here apparently know. Can you point me in the right direction please? 

I’m not ITK as some fans are. Dont stay in Dunfermline and no real ties to the club other than supporting them for over 30 years. 

as I’ve said it’s my opinion that too much involved. And I got that from the interview from courier. As said previously if manager identifies a player then should be him and cook involved.

Again I’d imagine at the start of the season a wage budget would have been agreed as they are business people and seems like a sensible thing to do considering the clubs recent financial problems. If a player falls into that wage budget and a contract can be agreed then should only be those two.

If say however they want more money may break wage budget then go to Germans and see if a deal could be made. Again this is just my opinion 

12 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Meggle and Cook have a say in what players come in too. More a say with age and potential rather than identifying individuals I think.

Not just trying to bring in the management teams targets. 

Team work then? 
I have to say I’m pleased with the signings our club has made since McPake took charge, and I’m sure they’ll get the right players in again this season 

Just now, Wacky said:

Team work then? 
I have to say I’m pleased with the signings our club has made since McPake took charge, and I’m sure they’ll get the right players in again this season 

Yeah. It's worked so far so can't complain.

It's is a bit frustrating when you have deals bubbling in the background for ages. Like a lot of fans I tend to think with the heart than the head and want everything yesterday but deep down I know they are doing the best they can for the club.

12 minutes ago, SRB said:

I’m not ITK as some fans are. Dont stay in Dunfermline and no real ties to the club other than supporting them for over 30 years. 

as I’ve said it’s my opinion that too much involved. And I got that from the interview from courier. As said previously if manager identifies a player then should be him and cook involved.

Again I’d imagine at the start of the season a wage budget would have been agreed as they are business people and seems like a sensible thing to do considering the clubs recent financial problems. If a player falls into that wage budget and a contract can be agreed then should only be those two.

If say however they want more money may break wage budget then go to Germans and see if a deal could be made. Again this is just my opinion 

Thanks for clarifying.
I never read the courier but looks like I’ll need to start. 
I just thought there was some website (other than here) where you’d get the inside scoop on all things Pars. That .net site is a clusterfuck of bawbaggery, and though the east end bounce seems quite informed, it has very slow traffic, hence why I joined this site. 

Just now, Wacky said:

Thanks for clarifying.
I never read the courier but looks like I’ll need to start. 
I just thought there was some website (other than here) where you’d get the inside scoop on all things Pars. That .net site is a clusterfuck of bawbaggery, and though the east end bounce seems quite informed, it has very slow traffic, hence why I joined this site. 

If you register with Twitter and follow Craig Cairns( He writes for the Courier), you will get all the Pars latest news.

1 minute ago, Chubbychops said:

If you register with Twitter and follow Craig Cairns( He writes for the Courier), you will get all the Pars latest news.

twitter eh? I’ll need to get my granddaughter to help me with that one. 
Nice one mate, thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Doesn't sound like anything was going to happen soon after listening to McPake's Thursday update.

Never know though. Hopefully we bring in 4 kings and don't have to sell an Ace.

To be fair McPake has done the "nothing imminent" gig before and we've went on to make signings within 24 hours.

One thing I think at this stage of the season, we have guys like Wotherspoon and Jakubiak training. You'd think they'd want to get signed up as soon as possible and not miss any football. I now Jakubiak has only been in this week but I really didn't expect the saga with Wotherspoon.

41 minutes ago, SRB said:

I’d argue that contract negotiations/signing players is more Meggle’s responsibility than Cook’s. Surely the Sporting Director is in charge of sporting decisions (like signing players) and Cook, as CEO, would have the final say/approval. I’d be concerned if the Sporting Director was being bypassed and wasn’t involved in transfer activity/decisions. The fact they are working together and having constant communication should actually help to avoid potential issues/delays in signing players. So I’m not understanding the issue here.

Serious question, you say you don’t have an issue with the German directors/owners. But you seem to be arguing that our Sporting Director shouldn’t be involved in sporting decisions. What do you think our Sporting Director should be involved in, if they shouldn’t have any say in transfer activity?

I also think that, with Meggle being based in Germany, it makes sense for Cook to be more heavily involved in face-to-face discussions. So I have to confess that I don’t really see what the issue is here.

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

If..and it's a BIG if ..Wotherspoon does sign, I think he'll need to hit the ground running. All this dragging on I think he would need to quickly appease the fans or they'll turn on him quickly.

Yeah this is spot on. None of us really know the ins and outs, what happened and why this has dragged on. Some from the fans point of view it looks like he's just digging his heels. If he does sign he would need to prove his worth pretty quickly (which I think he would) or sections of the support will get fed up.

Good thing for me is St Johnstone fans said they'd have kept Wotherspoon, and this was months ago before they knew who was coming in etc. Also Dundee fans said the same about Jakubiak. So there's fans of these two Premiership clubs saying they'd have kept them. Some much needed quality.

10 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I’d argue that contract negotiations/signing players is more Meggle’s responsibility than Cook’s. Surely the Sporting Director is in charge of sporting decisions (like signing players) and Cook, as CEO, would have the final say/approval. I’d be concerned if the Sporting Director was being bypassed and wasn’t involved in transfer activity/decisions. The fact they are working together and having constant communication should actually help to avoid potential issues/delays in signing players. So I’m not understanding the issue here.

Serious question, you say you don’t have an issue with the German directors/owners. But you seem to be arguing that our Sporting Director shouldn’t be involved in sporting decisions. What do you think our Sporting Director should be involved in, if they shouldn’t have any say in transfer activity?

I also think that, with Meggle being based in Germany, it makes sense for Cook to be more heavily involved in face-to-face discussions. So I have to confess that I don’t really see what the issue is here.

Does a club of our size really need a sporting director though?

Other than arrange a glamour friendly with st Pauli what has meggle done in that role? Serious question? There’s not been any German players brought in, I know brexit was a major hold up in this but other teams seem to bring foreign players in.

Ultimately it’s mcpakes decision on the team and players he’s the manger. If him and cook are there full time let them deal with transfers. 

my gripe is that this has been such a slow window for the club, yes we have brought in previous loan players but the squad isn’t stronger than the end of last season. We’ve went up a league to hardest league in Scotland and running weaker than last season it will come and back to haunt us eventually 

Reading between the lines of that courier interview, the issue was they let Grant and Hughes sign whoever they want. We ended up with with the likes of Leon Jones and Efe Ambrose. Hughes must have spent a fair wack on his January signings just to end up in L1. So they've gone for a different approach with more people involved.

Doing things by committee might makes things a bit trickier and slower but it's, what they see, as being in the best interests of the club so I'm fine with it.

The signings we have made all look like excellent business so maybe in the long run it will all work out. 

As others have said MOH seems like an anomaly in terms of this strategy but we'll see. 

17 minutes ago, SRB said:

Does a club of our size really need a sporting director though?

7 out of 10 championship clubs have someone in that role, albeit under different names. 

Edit - Airdrie are one who don't, but they have so many players from Jackie Mac's agency he might de facto be theirs. 

Edited by par-adise