Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I’m getting fed up talking about injuries, to be honest. But in terms of squad depth, I think we need to look at some of our guys as ‘out for the season’ and plan as if they might not be back.

KRH, Todd and Bene would probably be top of the list for that. They seem to have a lot of issues this season and they would almost need a full pre-season before returning now. Best solution for them is possibly to focus on getting generally fit by the end of the season and returning in June fully fit for pre-season, to hit the ground running next year.

I know we still have wages to pay etc, but including them when analysing squad size/needs could result in them having to play earlier than they should - as we’ve already seen with Bene. With a bit of investment in the squad, we can finish top 4. Spending say £50k on wages between now and the summer, could see us get an additional £100k in prize money. I understand that a lot of cash is being invested in the training facilities, but running an academy/training facility will be an unsustainable cost, if we aren’t getting the revenue that comes with competing at the top end of the championship, at the very least.

11 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

IMG_2398.jpeg

Do I beam myself into your home from the internet and shit all over YOUR dreams?! 

Stop living so relentlessly in the real world, its shit here. 

1 minute ago, Heaton said:

Can't believe McPake wants to keep Sharp. This is a massive red flag for me.

Aye I’m surprised too. However, could it be that he’s thinking about the other areas of the pitch that desperately need recruitments. Deniz has chucked it far too many times since coming back, and Sharp has also been error prone when given the chance.

I think Deniz is suffering from a lack of Bene at the back. However I think McPake will keep playing him. Sharp won’t be play if Deniz stays fit, or he starts having even more consistent howlers. 

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

I’m getting fed up talking about injuries, to be honest. But in terms of squad depth, I think we need to look at some of our guys as ‘out for the season’ and plan as if they might not be back.

KRH, Todd and Bene would probably be top of the list for that. They seem to have a lot of issues this season and they would almost need a full pre-season before returning now. Best solution for them is possibly to focus on getting generally fit by the end of the season and returning in June fully fit for pre-season, to hit the ground running next year.

I know we still have wages to pay etc, but including them when analysing squad size/needs could result in them having to play earlier than they should - as we’ve already seen with Bene. With a bit of investment in the squad, we can finish top 4. Spending say £50k on wages between now and the summer, could see us get an additional £100k in prize money. I understand that a lot of cash is being invested in the training facilities, but running an academy/training facility will be an unsustainable cost, if we aren’t getting the revenue that comes with competing at the top end of the championship, at the very least.

Unfortunately there will be large costs for all the operations etc our players are getting, which could impact budgets too.

I think there will be signings this month, but most likely loans, and that usually means having to wait towards the end of the window so that teams can sign players to free up others to go out on loan.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Unfortunately there will be large costs for all the operations etc our players are getting, which could impact budgets too.

I think there will be signings this month, but most likely loans, and that usually means having to wait towards the end of the window so that teams can sign players to free up others to go out on loan.

Aye I think I mentioned it last week, but McPake always talks about how well the boys out injured are being looked after with scans, surgeries, rehab etc. It'll be costing a fortune.

There'll definitely be two or three I think, some loans, maybe a free transfer or two if they get released from their club.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don’t doubt that there are a lot of costs at the moment. But the fact remains that they need to continue to invest in the first team squad (not to ridiculous levels), to ensure that the revenue is high enough to cover costs of running an academy/training facility.

Unfortunately, whatever has happened this season, regarding injuries, has happened and the club need to react to this and ensure that the situation doesn’t significantly impact results (and therefore revenue/prize money) or the development of our younger players.

Recruitment is probably tougher since what we really need to add, particularly in Bene’s absence, is experience. Ashcroft has been rumoured and someone in that mould would be a great addition to the back line. I feel like Fisher/Breen/Otoo really benefit from playing beside Bene and have struggled a bit without him. Admittedly, injuries have also impacted Fisher and Breen. But if we’re putting together a makeshift defence, due to injuries, the players covering there would clearly benefit from an experienced defender there too.

If Otoo and Hamilton are being counted as defensive cover, we will need more cover in midfield. If history tells us anything, we can’t be relying on Paul Allan being available every week. We also need someone else to play RWB (if we stick with the back 5) if Comrie is covering at RCB. O’Halloran has been struggling for fitness and we have no other options. If we keep Summers and Moffat, we can probably cope with Todd’s absence - although, we’d all prefer a fully fit Todd.

In my opinion, a couple of signings would really help plug the gaps we have in terms of numbers. Either a CB and a RWB, a CB and a midfielder or two CBs.

I wouldn’t see loans being an issue. But Sharp is currently wasting one of our domestic loan spots, which is another reason I can’t understand why we want him to stay here. I guess we just need to wait and see what we can/do bring in.

49 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Rumours on another forum that Otoo, Wighton and Summers are struggling for tonight. 

Wighton has looked a little off for weeks now. I know he had the virus, and did come on to score the equaliser at Arbroath, but since then has looked a big knackered. Otoo would be a complete nightmare. Summer's wouldn't shock me, looked done in towards the end of the game, thought he played really well. Typical! 

Generally wouldn't have thought this January would be a big window for us. But given the circumstances we need to bring in bodies, Ashcroft would make a lot of sense to cover the central position since Bene looks like he's out long term.

We also need a wider centre back for Breen since he's continually getting knocks. That allows Hamilton and Otoo to reinforce the midfield where they can be more effective as well. Would love a striker but not holding out hope we'll find one that's an upgrade. 

Really hope they can get a win tonight, would give everyone a bit of a lift after the loss and back on the right track. 

Dan O'Reilly? Out of contact with us this weekend and whilst many of us would like him to stay, Ian Murray is being very cagey about it, making me wonder if he has someone else lined up. He won't be short of offers so might cost a bit, but that's not bothered you in the past. 

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Dan O'Reilly? Out of contact with us this weekend and whilst many of us would like him to stay, Ian Murray is being very cagey about it, making me wonder if he has someone else lined up. He won't be short of offers so might cost a bit, but that's not bothered you in the past. 

And it doesn't seem to be bothering Raith fans now, it's almost like football fans are fickle creatures and don't have a massive care about the balance sheet providing it's entertaining at the weekend. 

I'd absolutely take O'Reilly because he's a warm body that's played games at this level before. He'd have to accept he's getting injured by February though. 

16 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Ashcroft would be a good signing IMO, solid no nonense centre half, chips in with a lot of bullet header goals from corners as well.

Thank you.

His volleys are even better than his headed goals though.

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We have zero threat from corners at the moment and struggle to defend them so I'm all aboard the Ashcroft train.

f**k it.

Bring Geggan back.

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We have zero threat from corners at the moment and struggle to defend them so I'm all aboard the Ashcroft train.

No trying to be a dick but we scored from a corner up at Arbroath a few weeks ago.

I think we need two centre halves. Unfortunately I think we are stuck with Mehmet and Sharp as our GK options. If we get two centre halves in, that at least allows Hamilton and Otto to be utilised in the midfield. 

3 hours ago, Heaton said:

Can't believe McPake wants to keep Sharp. This is a massive red flag for me.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever, given that's a wage that could be spent elsewhere where we're desperate. 

There's something not right about that quote though as it says he hopes the loan players including Sharp stay beyond their recall clauses. When he was announced Sharp's loan was described as being untill January. So we would have to actively extend it.