Walking Down The Halbeath Road

46 minutes ago, Wacky said:

You are right, things could change game to game, but not hitting the promotion playoffs isn’t a disaster whereas going down will be, not only for the wellbeing of the club but for the dotnet levels of seethe we’ll have to endure on here. 

I’m more confident of staying up with a fully fit squad than I am about going down. 
Truth is none of us can predict what will happen, but IMO a full squad can only help the possibility of staying up. 

And so you should be, my query was how confident should you be of having that fully fit squad available before the end of the season.

24 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

And so you should be, my query was how confident should you be of having that fully fit squad available before the end of the season.

Not happening. Can't rely on anyone being back. Bene and KRH most likely out rest of the season and if they do start training earlier, they'll likely break down with something else, the way itsgoing right now.

27 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Yeah! About as confident as winning the euro millions. But if say five players come back it’ll have to be the same odds on all five getting injured again, at least I hope so. It’s not impossible though, the same players have come back for one or two games and went out again. If I was a religious man I’d pray that won’t happen again, but you can never say never. We have to believe that won’t happen or we’d be as well giving up right now. I have PMA about almost everything in life, I’m more a glass half full type person and this drives me to believe we will survive the drop this season. If I thought otherwise I wouldn’t continue to post in the manner I have done over these uncertain times 

38 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

All the other models we've tried are guaranteed to bring success right enough.

Fact is, the only model(s) that worked for DAFC (got us into the top flight) in the last 25 years nearly killed us as a club.

The other models we've tried usually have one startling flaw, we appoint utter dumplings as manager. 

We have an advantage over most clubs at this level with our increased attendances bringing in more revenue, hindering ourself by spending however many thousands on the academy, or speculating on potential only serves to errode that advantage imo. 

Our tendency to over complicate things has only been a detriment to us, appointing Grant was a case of thinking we were smarter than what we are, now our player recruitment is starting to look similar. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

No! What was this? 

We had (or they had, I'm unclear as to how it all worked) a home  building business. I think originally the flats just behind the ground near what used to be the car showroom and is now the pram centre were originally going to be built by Dunfermline Homes. The company logo was basically the DAFC badge without the letters and possibly some other slight change. I'm not 100% on things but I think originally it was done so thst the rebuilding of the stands would be done in their books rather than the clubs, as well as being a home building business. 

Incidentally, the current board and the Masterton board aren't the only ones who have made a mess of capital projects - some older posters might remember Eagle Glen, at Kingseat, which was set to be our state of the art training complex with pitches, gyms, physio rooms, offices etc. It got half built then we got relegated and it sat as an empty shell before being sold off for, you've guessed it, houses. Player Drive in Kingseat is about the only hint left of what was once there. That Woodrow/D'Mello era board also considered moving to a Lego stadium at where Sky now is or installing corporate boxes along the back of the North terrace as it was then, but obviously neither happened. Proper sliding doors moments though. Would have been grim heading down to Rosyth for home games.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We had (or they had, I'm unclear as to how it all worked) a home  building business. I think originally the flats just behind the ground near what used to be the car showroom and is now the pram centre were originally going to be built by Dunfermline Homes. The company logo was basically the DAFC badge without the letters and possibly some other slight change. I'm not 100% on things but I think originally it was done so thst the rebuilding of the stands would be done in their books rather than the clubs, as well as being a home building business. 

Incidentally, the current board and the Masterton board aren't the only ones who have made a mess of capital projects - some older posters might remember Eagle Glen, at Kingseat, which was set to be our state of the art training complex with pitches, gyms, physio rooms, offices etc. It got half built then we got relegated and it sat as an empty shell before being sold off for, you've guessed it, houses. Player Drive in Kingseat is about the only hint left of what was once there. That Woodrow/D'Mello era board also considered moving to a Lego stadium at where Sky now is or installing corporate boxes along the back of the North terrace as it was then, but obviously neither happened. Proper sliding doors moments though. Would have been grim heading down to Rosyth for home games.

Haha fucking hell, that's absolutely mental.

31 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

The other models we've tried usually have one startling flaw, we appoint utter dumplings as manager. 

We have an advantage over most clubs at this level with our increased attendances bringing in more revenue, hindering ourself by spending however many thousands on the academy, or speculating on potential only serves to errode that advantage imo. 

Our tendency to over complicate things has only been a detriment to us, appointing Grant was a case of thinking we were smarter than what we are, now our player recruitment is starting to look similar. 

Couldn't have put it much better myself

FFS, only on that utter cesspit of a football forum you’d find a thread filled with suspicion about new users signing up. 
I personally think that place is an absolute joke and embarrassment to the club. 
It needs to GTF  

https://dafc.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1920719&t=1920719

Edited by Wacky
To be fair I haven’t read the whole thread, but can’t believe it was even started

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Nae danger is this model the best chance to get us to the premiership.

I'm not familiar with the details and vision of the business model, but I've never considered it to be a means of just getting to the Premiership. Of course, that's always the short term goal but really, we want to be building a club that's capable of longer-term sustainability. While short-term coaching and squad investment is easy(ish), it doesn't really set ourselves up for longer-term success - a downturn likely involves significant impact to the coaching team, significant churn in the squad, possible relegation to Championship (or worse), etc. Attracting the best coaching staff is made more likely but having excellent training facilities, which also has budgetary benefits if the club owns training facilities and this is consolidated into one place. 

Putting these foundations in place help to build the foundation of a bigger and better club. It's ambitious but does require a strong vision and leadership. And obviously, there needs to be a certain level of stability in terms of first team performances and results. I think it can get us to the Premiership but possibly not as quickly as most would like (and there's obviously a non-zero chance it fails, as is the case with almost every business model).

Compare and contrast this with the Rovers, who are spending wisely, investing in the first team squad, chasing promotion, doing well. I don't really see this as any better than what we're doing. I think there's a fair chance they could go up, they'll struggle, maybe survive a year or two and then come back down. And that's if they go up. I'm not really inspired by this as a strategy and I don't think it has a much greater chance of success. Had we avoided the huge list of injuries, I genuinely think we'd be top half of the table and have a serious go at making playoffs - Rovers have over-achieved and we've under-achieved so once it's all balanced out, I don't think their business strategy is that much more of a success that ours. 

Of course, things never pan out as you expect and there's no point lamenting bad luck. Relegation would be horrendous and the club do need to show some decent risk management, even if it means pulling some funding from the academy project. As much as I support the current aims, it requires Championship level football as a minimum. So while I support what the owners are trying to do, it's a question of priorities and for the next few months, survival has to be the number one priority.

Look lads, it’s all fine.  Thats me back in the USA now, and my record supporting the Pars while being here, versus my record whilst in Scotland is quite simply outstanding.

Check these stats out.  Over three periods in the last couple of years my record while being stateside is:-

Played 25

Won 18

Drew 7

Lost 0

Good news, I’m here til July with the current plan.  That should be plenty for us to pull out of relegation, secure 4th, body the dross in the playoffs, and then secure a place in the 24/25 Premier League season.  Just in time for me to return and then capture the essence of a Derby County style top flight season!

Strap yourselves in boys!!!

57 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Look lads, it’s all fine.  Thats me back in the USA now, and my record supporting the Pars while being here, versus my record whilst in Scotland is quite simply outstanding.

Check these stats out.  Over three periods in the last couple of years my record while being stateside is:-

Played 25

Won 18

Drew 7

Lost 0

Good news, I’m here til July with the current plan.  That should be plenty for us to pull out of relegation, secure 4th, body the dross in the playoffs, and then secure a place in the 24/25 Premier League season.  Just in time for me to return and then capture the essence of a Derby County style top flight season!

Heard there might be a vacancy at the White House so just hang about and stay please. Promise you can come back for the bus tour when we win the quadruple...  

1 hour ago, parsboi said:

Played 25

Won 18

Drew 7

Lost 0

f**k sake, just realised who you are! Had no idea until now!

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

Played 25

Won 18

Drew 7

Lost 0

Your sacrifice is exemplary!

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

Played 25

Won 18

Drew 7

Lost 0

And stay there!

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Heard there might be a vacancy at the White House so just hang about and stay please. Promise you can come back for the bus tour when we win the quadruple...  

I’m gonna hang fire til the first Champions League group game at East End, then I’m coming over.   We’d still be able to win the group despite an early bodying, I just wanna hear the CL music before the announcer fks it all up with that dreadful remix 😂

23 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

League 1 is the killer for full time clubs.

John Sim had said that we had averaged a £150k loss over the 15 or so years he has been in charge at Rovers. When you drill down though, we are fairly sustainable in the championship however the main losses come in the league 1 years.

Could be quite critical maintaining your championship status in the next couple of months. I was amazed at the lack of business done by the Pars in January.

We will post a massive loss soon. Last time in league 1 we made a profit 

academy costs.  Not much happened until very recently so not on these accounts bar maybe some legal fees 

Predict will post another sizeable loss this time next year 

being run by diddies 

Edited by Well over Par