Walking Down The Halbeath Road

He'll probably get next week as a stay of execution but genuinely don't see a way back for McPake unfortunately. I do think he's been dealt a bad hand this season and don't believe we'd be in this position if the core of the team had avoided injury. 

But we cannot ignore the facts. Teams around us have clearly improved while we have significantly regressed. Every team looks fitter and sharper, play with a better tempo, more intensity. I don't buy any excuse that players are tired... core first team players would still play every game if we were playing well. McCann looks burst after 30 minutes, Allan is chasing shadows, Summers, for as good as he technically, ambles about the park like a player twice his age. 

Tactically, the midfield didn't look like they knew what they were doing or who they were picking up. The entire team sits about 20 yards too deep with minimal pressure. We got found out playing out from the back last week, so this week we lumped everything aimlessly high and long. Utterly incoherent. 

I think there's now too much damage and rot, that I don't think this management team can turn it around. They'll likely get next week but after that, we're back into the tougher games and there's almost no chance we'll be picking up points without a pretty fundamental reset. 

On the playing front, I've seen enough of Allan, Wighton and McCann at least. Chalmers, Jakubiak, Summers, Moffat all on borrowed time. Walcott and Benjamin pretty unconvincing so far. As much as I give MOH a hard time he's at least looking like he's trying but really, I don't think he's what we need. 

I've seen a lot of these players play better. Much better. Something has to give. They are regressing alarmingly quickly under McPake now and it's not acceptable to keep doing the same thing week after week. If change doesn't come this week, it's likely coming soon. 

9 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

.............DEREK ADAMS................................INCOMING?

That's just rubbing it in a bit too much There's no need for cruelty. They're suffering enough as things stand.

3 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

On the playing front, I've seen enough of Allan, Wighton and McCann at least. Chalmers, Jakubiak, Summers, Moffat all on borrowed time. 

Amazed Chalmers isn't in the first category. There's a running joke among our fan base that he's like watching a player from a charity match in a senior game. He looks like a pea hearted shitebag. 

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Amazed Chalmers isn't in the first category. There's a running joke among our fan base that he's like watching a player from a charity match in a senior game. He looks like a pea hearted shitebag. 

Meh. I think his ability, of lack of it, is exaggerated. He's surrounded by players hiding, shows for the ball week in week out, and I actually think he'd be OK in a fully fit squad. Got absolute pelters today for being surrounded by opposition players and not one of our players made any effort to give him an out. 

That midfield needs rebuilt though and his time is likely up. He's far from the worst in my opinion. 

Paul Allen is nowhere near good enough for League 1 never mind Championship. Chalmers is good in a team that dominates games as he is quite good at manoeuvring the ball, but when you rely on him in this league where a bit of dig is needed, forget it. McCann I don't think has it at all at this level. Wighton can blow hot and cold, but he is another that I wouldn't be sad to see go. He'll be on a fair whack too. I'm not going to sit and slag young boys on loan players from England that aren't good enough, as they've been thrown in to a situation they are clearly not up to by the club, but they are just nowhere near what's required. 

With that, I think players like MOH, Comrie, Hamilton, Otoo, Edwards are good enough for this level, but are just not performing at all. There is a definite imbalance throughout the squad that needs addressed. No idea how the f*ck McPake does that, but he needs to somehow or we will go down, it's as simple as that. 

I thought the calls for the managers head last week were miles off. I’ll admit I’m still part of the “McPake In” camp but I no longer think that calls for the managers head are that outrageous, the stats speak for themselves. We all wanted the reaction today, first half wasn’t much in it but concede out of nowhere and our arse completely collapsed which we’ve became pretty good at. McPake even touched on it after the game and said that we need to not just fall to pieces when we concede. I think he’ll get the Arbroath game, but even with a win there I think a lot of the support are past the point of no return and will be waiting for us to drop points again. I feel sorry for him, I think he’s been let down by the board in the window. The injuries are freak but we all know this is a results based business.

As mentioned by Auld Reekie, everyone around us has improved and we haven’t, and as you say we’ve probably regressed.

Lewis McCann looks like some sort of professional athlete in the warm up then is absolutely done early doors. He quits regularly when the going gets tough and he’s not clever enough to play as a striker. Doesn’t know when to jump and when he does jump at the right time he’s not scoring with the chance.

I’m fed up of watching Allan and Chalmers. Absolutely shite. Chalmers was like a man down in the Championship two years ago. He was allowed a lot of time on the ball last season and looked better, got assists and we were flying, but he’s not Championship level and he cannot deal with it when the going gets tough. Paul Allan got an easy ride because he was a local boy, came through the academy but he’s torture to watch.

Summers came with all this bright future talk, he is talented but runs like his f*cking shoe laces are tied together. I know he’s just a kid and has done a lot more than the other two I mentioned but still frustrating to watch.

Infuriating watching the injured players down by the tunnel at half time, Tod, Bene, Breen, Wighton, Todd, Fisher, Kane, Jak, Fagan-Walcott. Six of them start, when though is the biggest issue.

Hopefully the experienced signings McPake mentioned post match so happen. I’m missing next week but it has to be a win. Fail to win and the noise from the support will increase and be unavoidable for the board, and I’ll be honest as pathetic as this may sound I’m a wee bit gutted about that. McPake done well with us last season and had us all feeling positive about the club, won a league title and is part of the clubs history but time is running out for him to turn it around. After Arbroath next week it’s away to Thistle, away to Inverness before Ayr at home, honestly couldn’t see us scoring in any of those games let alone winning.

Can I just say, I thought Otoo was a bit of shining light today. Gets stuck in, strong on the ball and looked interested. Others done okay but he was our best player. 

2 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I thought the calls for the managers head last week were miles off. I’ll admit I’m still part of the “McPake In” camp but I no longer think that calls for the managers head are that outrageous, the stats speak for themselves. We all wanted the reaction today, first half wasn’t much in it but concede out of nowhere and our arse completely collapsed which we’ve became pretty good at. McPake even touched on it after the game and said that we need to not just fall to pieces when we concede. I think he’ll get the Arbroath game, but even with a win there I think a lot of the support are past the point of no return and will be waiting for us to drop points again. I feel sorry for him, I think he’s been let down by the board in the window. The injuries are freak but we all know this is a results based business.

As mentioned by Auld Reekie, everyone around us has improved and we haven’t, and as you say we’ve probably regressed.

Lewis McCann looks like some sort of professional athlete in the warm up then is absolutely done early doors. He quits regularly when the going gets tough and he’s not clever enough to play as a striker. Doesn’t know when to jump and when he does jump at the right time he’s not scoring with the chance.

I’m fed up of watching Allan and Chalmers. Absolutely shite. Chalmers was like a man down in the Championship two years ago. He was allowed a lot of time on the ball last season and looked better, got assists and we were flying, but he’s not Championship level and he cannot deal with it when the going gets tough. Paul Allan got an easy ride because he was a local boy, came through the academy but he’s torture to watch.

Summers came with all this bright future talk, he is talented but runs like his f*cking shoe laces are tied together. I know he’s just a kid and has done a lot more than the other two I mentioned but still frustrating to watch.

Infuriating watching the injured players down by the tunnel at half time, Tod, Bene, Breen, Wighton, Todd, Fisher, Kane, Jak, Fagan-Walcott. Six of them start, when though is the biggest issue.

Hopefully the experienced signings McPake mentioned post match so happen. I’m missing next week but it has to be a win. Fail to win and the noise from the support will increase and be unavoidable for the board, and I’ll be honest as pathetic as this may sound I’m a wee bit gutted about that. McPake done well with us last season and had us all feeling positive about the club, won a league title and is part of the clubs history but time is running out for him to turn it around. After Arbroath next week it’s away to Thistle, away to Inverness before Ayr at home, honestly couldn’t see us scoring in any of those games let alone winning.

Can I just say, I thought Otoo was a bit of shining light today. Gets stuck in, strong on the ball and looked interested. Others done okay but he was our best player. 

Pretty much agree with that. Can’t be arsed typing out long posts. I’m a bit lazy 

I couldn’t see us not beating this lot after they went up the tunnel. Second half we just stood off like we had done first 15 and handed them the initiative. Thomas had a couple of sighters before a great goal but that and the first goal came about because we never pressed and allowed them time to get on the ball get the head up and deliver 

I wish we still had Thomas. A bit of a difficult character by all accounts but he can play and he can create. Right now we have nobody with a creative bone in their body 

what’s happened to edwards rampaging runs down the wing ? Is he pissed off because he never got his move ? 
I could have played in midfield against ours with slippers and a smoking jacket and given them plenty of years too. Just inept 

Otoo and Hamilton our best players today 

benjamin did ok. Really difficult for a young lad to come into a struggling team 

Lewis McCann is fast running out of chances and favour. He'll be 23 this year. He can't hide behind the 'young player' stuff any longer. 

He has 'something' but doesn't show it enough. He's fast tracking himself to a League 1 career.

Very first post on PnB...

Season Ticket holder at EEP.

Last week was awful but was made worse because I never seen it coming. The week before at Tannadice it felt like we'd turned a corner - a clean sheet, no injuries on the day and it felt together. The Morton performance and result was a real shocker off the back of that. So McPake kind of got a pass from me for that game (and generally because of the hand he's been dealt with injury-wise).

But today was so much worse than last week and massively exposed McPake.

The only thing that changed from last week was punting the ball at every single opportunity instead of trying to play out on the bog last week. Formation and players were near identical. I've read it elsewhere but our pressing game is so amateur. Either McCann or MOH pressed first half but everyone else was behind the halfway line making it a waste of time. Either they are being told to press individually or ignoring their pre match instructions.

It was so deflating reading the team at 2.15 today. Where was the response to last week? As soon as I seen the 11 it was clear it was a 3/5 at the back again. Callum Davidson must have been laughing his fat tits off.

Ours subs today were pointless and this is where McPake has to take heat. Every sub was a straight swap. If he seriously thought Holmes was a better threat as a target man than McCann then he should have started him. Because the approach never changed.

Someone behind me said McCann has been useless the past few games and it's hard to argue. But he's not a target man. He's clearly not a No 9. The Lewis McCann that had folk excited in Aug/Sep played off the left-wing combining with Josh and Otoo.

Anyway, long story short, as much as we have to be grateful to McPake for for last season and especially that night at home to Falkirk, I think he's drowning right now and we need to do what every other club around us has done and make the change before it's too late.

McCann is a weird one. Total boss in League 1 and he was doing well at the start of the season, but he has dropped off. He has something about him though that another club, with the right set up, could nurture.

2nd post...

Our Player of the Year event in May will be a table for two with Chris Hamilton and Ewan Otoo. If anything happens to either of them in the coming weeks then we are screwed.

If we are League 1 next season then it would be shameful if these two were plying their trade there.

McCann isn't a target man. Despite his frame he can't win and hold the ball up. He lacks football intelligence. His best moments in a Pars shirt (in my opinion) are from off the left wing using his pace or cutting in.

As my previous post, he's also knackered from doing a one man press when no one else joins in so isn't ready to capitalise on half chances to steal the ball when he could.

I'd like to see him with another manager before I write him off.

43 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

McCann is a weird one. Total boss in League 1 and he was doing well at the start of the season, but he has dropped off. He has something about him though that another club, with the right set up, could nurture.

Not a striker but not a winger. What is he?

36 minutes ago, tdt said:

2nd post...

Our Player of the Year event in May will be a table for two with Chris Hamilton and Ewan Otoo. If anything happens to either of them in the coming weeks then we are screwed.

If we are League 1 next season then it would be shameful if these two were plying their trade there.

Harsh on Edwards.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Not a striker but not a winger. What is he?

Harsh on Edwards.

Possibly, but Edwards is playing in his preferred position every week. Has he got better from last year? I love him as a player - I'd gladly see him in a DA shirt for years to come but his final ball is still wild. He makes the top 3 this year simply because he's not been as bad or as injured as his peers.

As an aside, a back 4 of Comrie, Fisher, Otoo and Josh with a solid midfield in front of them would be wonderful.

53 minutes ago, tdt said:

Possibly, but Edwards is playing in his preferred position every week. Has he got better from last year? I love him as a player - I'd gladly see him in a DA shirt for years to come but his final ball is still wild. He makes the top 3 this year simply because he's not been as bad or as injured as his peers.

As an aside, a back 4 of Comrie, Fisher, Otoo and Josh with a solid midfield in front of them would be wonderful.

Aye his final ball is far too often not good enough. Probably the main reason he's still with us.

I think the better younger players in our squad have suffered because of the disruption due to injuries. They are being elevated to the senior guys of the team before they are ready.

McCann and Edwards would be showing far better in a consistent, confident and winning line-up. It's hard to judge them on the past two months (not forgetting we were 4th in December).

Edwards in particular is suffering because he's expected to create chances. His crossing is over cooked most of the time but who is he aiming for anyway? McCann / MOH / Summers / Moff or Chalmers waiting on the edge of the centre circle sitting waiting for the chance of a little shuffle and a momentum killing backwards pass.

Can I add, the only reason I felt compelled to post on PnB was because when I left EEP at FT today, I was nearly run down by the Joe Cardle Academy-mobile heading past the South Stand with JC driving.

How many full time professional outfits have a guy training full time with them during the week yet seemingly completely uninvolved on match day when they are desperately needing experience?