Walking Down The Halbeath Road

🆕🎙️

🏁 It has been a couple of months since the last recording, so Michael Wood talks through...

🛣️ Above average away record.
🏡 Horrendous home form.
⚽ The upcoming big games.
🔄 Transfer window moves.
🐦 That tweet.

🤝 Shares appreciated.

🔗👇

I thought Allan was good against Thistle. The only problem is his defensive side of the game, when he is playing well. A lot of the time he doesn't influence the game whatsoever. He has good delivery from set pieces to be fair to him. He'd need to have a stormer from now until the end of the season for fans to consider giving him another contract. I don't think he has it in him tbh. 

Allan is one of the out of contract players in the summer, I know he's played a lot this season but it's because he's had to and if we had a fully fit squad he would be in single figures for starts. I don't think it's good enough to say he's a good squad player, he doesn't impact the game enough. I personally wouldn't be offering a new deal but I have a feeling they might give him a year.

with regards to him playing at right back - did he play there before? Because he was shoved in there when we played QP at Hampden in at the start of the year. I know he had a couple of loan spells but not sure if he featured in the defence there.

Quite refreshing to be sitting on a Monday, win under out belts, a few places up the table with the next three games coming against teams around us. Not getting ahead of ourselves as Inverness, Ayr and Airdrie will all be very tough games but a couple of wins and we'll all be able to breathe a little easier. All before we then have to play the Rovers away and Dundee Utd at home back to back.

With regards to squad make up, what are people thinking for next year? I like the set up we have of the 4411/4231/433, whatever what you split it. If everyone was fit and available I'd like to have seen below, added what I think the depth chart is. 

GK - Mehmet, Little

RB - Comrie, Miles

CB - Bene, Fisher, Breen, Fagan-Walcott, Benjamin 

Cm - Otoo, Hamilton, Allan, Chalmers

LB - Edwards

RW-KRH, MoH

AM - Todd, Summers

LW - McCann, Jak, Moffat

St - Kane, Wighton, Holmes

I genuinely think, if managed well, there's an eleven that could challenge for the title, however there's a few things that need improved over the summer if we're getting to that level. 

1- Centre mid, I think Otoo, Hamilton and Todd could be fantastic, however have we even see it this season? Due to being light at centre back they've been pulled back allot, and as soon as one of them missing and you're putting in Allan and Chalmers the drop off is just massive, neither are good enough for what we need. I beleive Chalmers has another year so he'll be staying, and I'm willing to see if Otoo and Todd's running can compliment him? But Allan should be gone. 

2- I've only listed three strikers there but realistically I could've put McCann, Jak and the Sutherland players there aswell. Despite all those numbers it's only Kane who's capable of playing as the lone striker at this level and he's on loan. I think Wightons knee injuries have finished him tbh, but come summer time we're going to need to address this. 

3-Full back, with Comrie likely to miss allot of time with a knee injury, and Edwards likely to be away I think we might need to look at this in the summer. While we could play Otoo on the left, we'd be losing so much from the middle. It'll be interesting to see how Miles gets on, if he does well do we talk to Livingston about him staying? 

We're not a million miles away, if we get the summer correct, and get some players back we could be on for a good season next year. 

Edited by HoBNob

46 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

With regards to squad make up, what are people thinking for next year? I like the set up we have of the 4411/4231/433, whatever what you split it. If everyone was fit and available I'd like to have seen below, added what I think the depth chart is.

GK - Mehmet, Little

RB - Comrie, Miles

LB - Edwards

RW-KRH, MoH

AM - Todd, Summers

LW - McCann, Jak, Moffat

I genuinely think, if managed well, that's an eleven that could challenge for the title, however there's a few things that need improved over the summer if we're getting to that level. 

1- Centre mid, I think Otoo, Hamilton and Todd could be fantastic, however have we even see it this season? Due to being light at centre back they've been pulled back allot, and as soon as one of them missing and you're putting in Allan and Chalmers the drop off is just massive, neither are good enough for what we need. I beleive Chalmers has another year so he'll be staying, and I'm willing to see if Otoo and Todd's running can compliment him? But Allan should be gone. 

2- I've only listed three strikers there but realistically I could've put McCann, Jak and the Sutherland players there aswell. Despite all those numbers it's only Kane who's capable of playing as the lone striker at this level and he's on loan. I think Wightons knee injuries have finished him tbh, but come summer time we're going to need to address this. 

3-Full back, with Comrie likely to miss allot of time with a knee injury, and Edwards likely to be away I think we might need to look at this in the summer. While we could play Otoo on the left, we'd be losing so much from the middle. It'll be interesting to see how Miles gets on, if he does well do we talk to Livingston about him staying? 

We're not a million miles away, if we get the summer correct, and get some players back we could be on for a good season next year. 

I'd quite like a new goalkeeper. Deniz will be here for the next two years anyway and I think with a settled defence in front of him he will do a job but I still think there's better goalies out there that I'd like to see as our #1. I could see Little going, not exactly sure of his contract situation and if he was being planned for the future then he might well stay but I'm sure he's not delighted that he didn't get a sniff when Deniz was injured and Harry Sharp was under-performing. 

I think Miles might be decent from his short cameo on Friday and the video that was on here. He was very verbal and had that wee bit of game management, telling Deniz to slow down when it came to taking the freekick etc, a bit more streetwise which we lack massively. He's 27 and plenty games under his belt so that's a bonus especially with Bene still missing. I think he could do well but will wait and see. If he does, can we keep him, or do Livi come down and they then want to keep him, time will tell.

We have the option of a year with Josh, but I don't know what that means. Can we just say it's happening and that's it? At least if that is the case we can get some cash for him. I think he'll have suitors but he needs to keep doing it for us. I'd be shocked if the manager didn't say to him something like "help us stay up and get your move in the summer" etc. Needs to sort that final ball out a bit though... 🤣

Summers will be away back to Celtic, and the two Cardiff boys too, although it sounded like MFW was being planned for next season so maybe we might be trying to secure him permanently. 

I've seen enough from Chris Kane in the highlights from last Saturday and watching the game on Friday that I'd like to see him stay beyond the end of the season. He's a proper centre forward and already ahead of a fit McCann, Wighton and Holmes.

I just want to see these boys play as a unit between now and the end of the season, secure survival in the division and get a chance to show how good they can be when we've got less injuries.

Edited by The Toun Clock

12 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I'd quite like a new goalkeeper. Deniz will be here for the next two years anyway and I think with a settled defence in front of him he will do a job but I still think there's better goalies out there that I'd like to see as our #1. I could see Little going, not exactly sure of his contract situation and if he was being planned for the future then he might well stay but I'm sure he's not delighted that he didn't get a sniff when Deniz was injured and Harry Sharp was under-performing. 

I think Miles might be decent from his short cameo on Friday and the video that was on here. He was very verbal and had that wee bit of game management, telling Deniz to slow down when it came to taking the freekick etc, a bit more streetwise which we lack massively. He's 27 and plenty games under his belt so that's a bonus especially with Bene still missing. I think he could do well but will wait and see. If he does, can we keep him, or do Livi come down and they then want to keep him, time will tell.

We have the option of a year with Josh, but I don't know what that means. Can we just say it's happening and that's it? At least if that is the case we can get some cash for him. I think he'll have suitors but he needs to keep doing it for us. I'd be shocked if 

Summers will be away back to Celtic, and the two Cardiff boys too, although it sounded like MFW was being planned for next season so maybe we might be trying to secure him permanently. 

I've seen enough from Chris Kane in the highlights from last Saturday and watching the game on Friday that I'd like to see him stay beyond the end of the season. He's a proper centre forward and already ahead of a fit McCann, Wighton and Holmes.

I just want to see these boys play as a unit between now and the end of the season, secure survival in the division and get a chance to show how good they can be when we've got less injuries.

If Littles contract is up he'd be away you'd imagine. With regards to Mehmet, unless we get someone to take on his contract I'd rather just persist with him, than have such an expensive wage on the bench, we won the league with Chris Smith so we may aswell give it another shot. 

Out of the Cardiff loanees I'd be interested in MFW, depending on budget etc. Benjamin can go with our best wishes along with Summers. 

With regards to Kane I'd absolutely be taking him if he's available, likewise Rudden and Dowds will be out of contract in the summer, we'd be daft not to enquire about them IMO. 

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

GK - Mehmet, Little

RB - Comrie, Miles

LB - Edwards

RW-KRH, MoH

AM - Todd, Summers

LW - McCann, Jak, Moffat

I genuinely think, if managed well, there's an eleven that could challenge for the title, however there's a few things that need improved over the summer if we're getting to that level. 

Not very much I disagree with there. I'd love Edwards to stay if we can get him to sign a multi year extension. If not it might be time to cash in. I think Lewis Strapp is only signed up with Morton till the summer so could be a ready made replacement. 

If possible I'd go a pretty extensive clear out over the summer. I know not all of these players can be punted but in an ideal world I'd be wishing the following good luck in their future endeavours:

- Mehmet

- Little

- Breen

- Benjamin

- Fenton

- Allan

- Chalmers

- McCann

- Wighton

- Jakubiak

- Holmes

We need to play it right with Edwards. No point in keeping him if we end up losing him one bosman, but if we can get a fee we should time it well. 

The lad has improved tenfold since arriving. I mind a game at Alloa where he had a total stinker and many thought he wasn't capable. I think he's got the ability to play higher, but he needs to work hard on his weak points.

Can't disagree with much of the above. 

• Mehmet needs to be challenged - too many clangers for me to think he's Championship winning material (couldn't believe the drop he had on Friday and go away with)
  • In defence, need a ready-made Bene replacement/partner, with solid experience and if MFW continues to improve, I'd definitely consider a contract for him. Fisher, Comrie and Edwards I'd be looking to keep, while Xavier and Breen are on the way out for me.
  • Chalmers and Allan as a pair is dead. Allan could potential be a squad filler for no reason other than finances while Chalmers will see less and less game time if Hamilton, Otoo and Todd stay fit and are free to play their best positions.
  • MOH and Jak need to show a consistent run of form for me to see them as having a future, but injuries aside, have done what was asked. MOH has worked hard without being a real threat and Jak has shown signs of being a contender, but both have work to do.
  • I'd likely take a punt on Summers for another year if we could but I'd be hoping to see significant development from him. Moffat has done well but can't say he's stood out enough that I'd keep him and Summers.
  • Wighton is a firm no for me, and McCann is on borrowed time. Haven't seen enough from Holmes but he's got work to do if he wanted to stay. Kane is a no-brainer but I'd be surprised if we were first in line unless we have an excellent run in.

As per @DA Baracus , those on his list have a lot of work to do between now and end of season, especially anyone over the age of 22. I'm willing to tolerate some younger lads to see how the develop on assumption they are low-impact on the wage bill, but guys with experience and higher wages will have to give way to experienced players of better quality. The balance needs to be somewhat better next season.

2 hours ago, Wacky said:

I’d be stunned if Strapp signed with us 

He'd be an asset to any team in this league. I was surprised we brought him back and delighted when he signed in until the end of the season. I'd imagine he'll be looking to play Premier league football next season.

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Yous are on a different planet if you think we can just ship the likes of Mehmet, Wighton and Mccann on when they've got time left on their contracts.

To be fair mate, I think most are just saying they would if they could. After the loans, I think it's Allan, Edwards, Fenton that are out of contract, sure the rest are tied down until at least Summer 2025. We have this extra year option with Edwards which I hope we're taking, even if it's just to sell him in the summer and make some cash. Allan doesn't do enough, I don't know his best position. I can't fault his effort at all but it's not like he's getting stuck in, he's just there or nearly there as it's been this season. Fenton, still a kid and to be fair you'd have to be pretty good to shift Josh Edwards out the team so can't really comment.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

He'd be an asset to any team in this league. I was surprised we brought him back and delighted when he signed in until the end of the season. I'd imagine he'll be looking to play Premier league football next season.

He's been really good any time I've seen him this season (0-5 pasting at East End or Morton BBC games). I agree that he'll have aspirations to play top flight in Scotland next season.

2 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I would be happy to take Summers for another year.  I think he would do well in a functioning Championship side - which we could be providing he and the majority of the squad stay fit.

Nah, he started off fantastic but he's trailed off something rotten, the difference between him and Todd is humongous.