Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Three years ago today we got rid of McIntyre. Genuinely my favourite manager that we've had.

He's got back into the top league, we've been less successful.

Like him as well but he made a right c**t of 11-12 season.

Both transfer windows were atrocious, January especially being an absolute clusterfuck,

Brings us on to my only remaining hope for Potter, that his apparent panicky cluelessness is him getting the mistakes out the way, unbeaten now for the rest of the season and a miracle playoff run.

It is a very very thin and freyed thread. It's already snapped, but Warner Bros are in charge of the physics.

I liked macca, He obviously called it wrong in the spl but has clearly learned from that, he wasn't working with ideal conditions either.

I think some took exception to his personality and/or the chaotic kenny era that led to his appointment and were never really happy with him in charge, but IMO he got the important bit right, the football on the pitch.

The qualities that stopped many folk from liking McIntyre were the same qualities that made him a good manager. He was ambitious, ruthless, maybe a bit aloof and detached and clearly set himself apart from the players. There was never a sense that he was 'one of the boys'. He never looked like a tramp and I don't remember him getting into the sort of stupid rants and bust-ups we've seen from our coaching staff in the last year or so. There was always logic to his lineups and selections and it was very rare to see us follow one bad performance with another (in the First Division anyway).

The SPL season was poor but we've been a car crash since then - I wouldn't hold that season against him. He has made good signings for County and they appear to be really fit and organised.

The qualities that stopped many folk from liking McIntyre were the same qualities that made him a good manager. He was ambitious, ruthless, maybe a bit aloof and detached and clearly set himself apart from the players. There was never a sense that he was 'one of the boys'. He never looked like a tramp and I don't remember him getting into the sort of stupid rants and bust-ups we've seen from our coaching staff in the last year or so. There was always logic to his lineups and selections and it was very rare to see us follow one bad performance with another (in the First Division anyway).

The SPL season was poor but we've been a car crash since then - I wouldn't hold that season against him. He has made good signings for County and they appear to be really fit and organised.

:lol::lol:

The bare minimum you expect from a manager is settled tactics, plan and approach to a match. We don't even have that :lol: Better off with Harry fuckin' Potter.

I loved watching the Pars under McIntyre, although it did take him nearly 4 seasons to get us out Division 1 and there were some fairly rancid performances in amongst all the memorable ones too. That will be conveniently forgotten by all the misty-eyed Pars fans above who now think he's some sort of Messiah but probably hounded him out when we were in total freefall 3 years ago.

There was steady improvement under McIntyre though. We're never going to be great every week but as a first managerial job he did very well. Kenny doubled the wage bill from taking over to the end of his first season, hoovering up loans and has-beens. McIntyre did a big restructuring job and was probably the first manager since Bert Paton to look down the leagues for signings. The way his team wrapped up the First Divsion title was exceptional. I'd never seen us do anything of note without it being nerve-shredding and he just had his team strolling through what you expected to be nervy, high-pressure games.

McIntyre did improve us season on season but was too naive when we went up to the SPL, he thought we could play the same system & compete. He wanted to play 4-4-2 with Mason & Hardie in centre midfield, they dominated in the Championship but had nowhere near enough legs to do it in a 4-4-2 in the SPL.

When we realised that wouldn't work we tried to go 4-5-1 but none of our strikers could play up front on their own. Then we tried 3-5-2 but we had fucking Ozzie McCann and that Thomson felly who ended up at the Rovers trying to be wingbacks. Good god, no.

After January when Thomson got sent back to Hearts we even had Paul Willis and Paul christing Burns at right wingback. Eventually we got Jordan McMillan in to sort the problem but by this time Gallagher was injured & we had Chris Smith in goals so 9 out of 10 shots on target or crosses into our 6 yard box ended up in our net.

In summary, McIntyre had assembled a decent squad, but once the 4-4-2 idea was scrapped we really had no idea how to fit them into a starting 11. He's obviously learned from that though.

Appointed in December 2007. Promoted May 2011. 3 years 6 months to get us promoted. 3 full seasons.

Agree that we did improve steadily year-on-year though. Liked him as I said. One of my favourite times watching The Pars & signings like Gibson, Graham & Cardle made me actually look forward to going to games again after the absolute dross served up by Hay & Kennys' teams.

Shame it was all built on fuckin sand though.

Edited by da_no_1

A lot of wistful retrospection on this thread. Based on our experience of crashing down to earth post Nicholl, looking back at what was or might have been is a complete waste of time and actually holds you back from getting out of the position you're currently in. Your 'glory' days (ahem) are gone. The sooner the support accepts it and starts supporting the board in building a realistic, sustainable, well-managed club then the quicker you'll get back amongst the big boys. Or failing that, even back up with the likes of us and Cowden.

Something ironic about this page. I remember being just about the only defender of Macca when everyone was wanting him sacked. I remember a 3-1 midweek defeat at Motherwell where we played against 10 men for most of the game. Most folk in this thread had had enough and even I began to accept he needed to go.

Just because we are a total clusterfuck now, doesn't mean McIntyre was doing a good job before. I like the guy and most of his reign was pretty good, ranging from us winning the title to being an embarrassment in the SPL season. But his signings at the end were desperation stuff and they just didn't work.

People also seem to forget JJ was doing a decent job before the roof caved in. Were fighting at the top of the table with Partick and Morton and then lost a bunch of players, bunch of points deducted and it all fell apart.

McIntyre did a good job and is one of a select group to have a title as Pars manager but he'd made a right cock of it at the end. Would still welcome him back though.

A lot of wistful retrospection on this thread. Based on our experience of crashing down to earth post Nicholl, looking back at what was or might have been is a complete waste of time and actually holds you back from getting out of the position you're currently in. Your 'glory' days (ahem) are gone. The sooner the support accepts it and starts supporting the board in building a realistic, sustainable, well-managed club then the quicker you'll get back amongst the big boys. Or failing that, even back up with the likes of us and Cowden.

I don't see any of that at all, just a bit of discussion about a previous manager.

If Raith had won the title that year(they didn't) I doubt we'd have heard the end of it by now tbh.

Something ironic about this page. I remember being just about the only defender of Macca when everyone was wanting him sacked. I remember a 3-1 midweek defeat at Motherwell where we played against 10 men for most of the game. Most folk in this thread had had enough and even I began to accept he needed to go.

Just because we are a total clusterfuck now, doesn't mean McIntyre was doing a good job before. I like the guy and most of his reign was pretty good, ranging from us winning the title to being an embarrassment in the SPL season. But his signings at the end were desperation stuff and they just didn't work.

People also seem to forget JJ was doing a decent job before the roof caved in. Were fighting at the top of the table with Partick and Morton and then lost a bunch of players, bunch of points deducted and it all fell apart.

McIntyre did a good job and is one of a select group to have a title as Pars manager but he'd made a right cock of it at the end. Would still welcome him back though.

His signings in January were pretty decent(on paper) anyway. Having Chris Smith in goals was a bit of a handicap.

I seem to remember us faltering before the roof started to cave in, we got absolutely slapped by Morton through at Cappielow which seemed the beginning of the end.

I remember us as having a blinding first season, and then teams gradually started to figure out we played with one winger and things started to fall apart.

Was it not Patrick that destroyed us the first game after the wages weren't payed.

JJ had us going well up to that point, then after a couple of games of struggle masterton went and lied through his teeth to the players saying all will be fine after the derby tickets were sold, they seemed to buy that and put in a few decent performances but once the wages were not payed again and the players were told they were lucky to get anything the wheels truly fell off and we struggled more and more as things got worse.

JJ's and macca's reins were probably quite similar really.

It was between us and Partick that season. We were top just before it was leaked that shit was about to hit the proverbial fan and we happened to play our main rivals for the title that weekend. They gubbed us 5-1. It signalled something bad was coming and boy it came alright.

Was it not Patrick that destroyed us the first game after the wages weren't payed.

JJ had us going well up to that point, then after a couple of games of struggle masterton went and lied through his teeth to the players saying all will be fine after the derby tickets were sold, they seemed to buy that and put in a few decent performances but once the wages were not payed again and the players were told they were lucky to get anything the wheels truly fell off and we struggled more and more as things got worse.

JJ's and macca's reins were probably quite similar really.

Yeah it was Partick that cuffed us in the first game. Players were yards off the pace and we had Chris Kane at full back up against Erskine and O'Donnell.

After ten mins it was all over, Forbes scored a peach of a goal in the second half.

First game at EEP it was pretty even and Potter got turned for their goal. We then brought in Morris.

Don't think there was much between us Morton and Partick on our day tbh.