Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Paton will serve a really specific purpose and in some senses he's good, undoubtedly though out of all our signings I think he's the worst football wise, but then having him in training, setting an example and in the dressing room will be good I think, one of the biggest problems by all accounts was splits in the dressing room. On paper last year our squad looked better but that's absolutely useless if there's no unity. 

I'd have Beadling, Thompson and Turner ahead of him in centre mid, but with Thompson being injured, Turner transitioning and Beadling picking up niggling injuries I can see him featuring pretty prominently until Christmas. 

Glad to hear Crawford talking about getting wingers. 

On what basis are you supposing that Paton will set a good example and bring unity? Did he do that for Falkirk last season, when they were utter dug meat and looked like a disinterested rabble of individuals? 

From what I hear of him when he was at us (albeit it was a few years ago) he was a fanny and not especially popular in the dressing room. 

A genuinely brutal signing. If Thistle had signed him I’d be fuming. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I'd have Beadling, Thompson and Turner ahead of him in centre mid, but with Thompson being injured, Turner transitioning and Beadling picking up niggling injuries I can see him featuring pretty prominently until Christmas. 

Fair point. He covers Beadling's role and I'd have Beadling ahead of him anyday (and the thought of having both of them in the middle of the park doesn’t exactly inspire confidence offensively...). But given our lack of depth at the moment we do need the options

Having said that, I still feel there were better options out there that could offer us both Championship experience and also fill a gap in our squad. Like the need for more creative midfielders for example - surely we could have cobbled together a better offer for Ross Forbes than Forfar did?

Edited by AlehouseFitba

If, as is being suggested in the press- you’ve signed Tom Lang from Clyde..... you’ll be delighted.
Athletic- very fast, great in the air and on the surface- big dressing room presence- 
Really endeared himself with the fans at Broadwood and will run through a brick wall for the cause.
Look after him for us as when we’re in the SPL - we’ll have him back.

Plus missus is a cracker.

I know three people that have met Paul Paton in person and all three have said he's an absolute arsehole, especially after a few drinks.

Added to the fact he's shite at football, I can't understand anyone trying to claim this is a good signing. As I said a few weeks ago, it's a decent League 1 squad we're putting together and I'd take 7th again right now.

Edit - For the "give them time" brigade; I'll be absolutely thrilled if these signings work out and we have a successful season. Right now, I can't see that happening, unless the standard across the division drops once again.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
The thing people always take from P&B is the accuracy of Falkirk fans’ preseason predictions.

We have a full season of hindsight which can unfortunately never be deleted in this case.

If last preseason is anything to go by then Paton could be playing for some mob in the Cook Islands by this time next week.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I know three people that have met Paul Paton in person and all three have said he's an absolute arsehole, especially after a few drinks.

Added to the fact he's shite at football, I can't understand anyone trying to claim this is a good signing. As I said a few weeks ago, it's a decent League 1 squad we're putting together and I'd take 7th again right now.

Edit - For the "give them time" brigade; I'll be absolutely thrilled if these signings work out and we have a successful season. Right now, I can't see that happening, unless the standard across the division drops once again.

I've read many posts from you and have to say you're one of the most negative posters out there. I have to have the Samaritans ready on speed dial, and hide any sharps every time I encounter your posts.

I take hear 'say about anyone with a pinch of salt and take them as I find them. Many times I've heard bad things about folk only to find that they're actually sound when you get to know them. I read about Paton's health issues last season and it looks like the issue was a lack of diagnosis for a period and now they know what it is he's sorted which was reflected in his improved form by the end of the season. Anyone who takes the jump from our bitter, bitter rivals has less time to prove themselves and must be up for a challenge, given the instant hostility of some of our support. Give Paton a chance. 

Crawford must be doing something right as he's managed to gazump a few deals with the youngsters coming in so has to be pretty decent at selling his vision to them. I'm hopeful that there may be a real gem amongst this crop and we may outwit the Jobbers United and the Jobber Thistles.

No that impressed with the Paton signing if i'm honest but the other signings are quite exciting I think. The management seem confident in their ability to coach and improve these players and It does seem apparent that a lot of work and preperation has gone into our signings this year. 

I think 6/7th would be fine for me this year as long as I can see continued improvement as the season progresses.  Pars fans will have a big part to play next year in supporting these guys too.

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You spend allot of time in the dressing room/on the training pitch aye? 

Our manager puts huge emphasis on the dressing room morale, yet released Paton at short notice in January to replace him with an unknown youngster from England. 

Make your own mind up.

Our manager puts huge emphasis on the dressing room morale, yet released Paton at short notice in January to replace him with an unknown youngster from England. 
Make your own mind up.

Our manager has put a lot of emphasis on dressing room morale yet has signed Paton to help with unknown youngsters from England.

Make your own mind up.

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Our manager has put a lot of emphasis on dressing room morale yet has signed Paton to help with unknown youngsters from England.

Make your own mind up.

Tommy Wright or Stevie Crawford. 

Hard choice.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Make your own mind up.

Made my mind up, if you genuinely believe that Wright got rid of Paton because of the reasons highlighted earlier, and not because he's done at Premiership level then you're pretty dense. 

Theres no way Crawford would sign a troublemaker after having seen 'the worst thing hes seen in 20 years of football' last season.
He may be inexperienced but nobody would willingly go through that again. I hope our squad of nobodies and wasters destroy the division like livingston did.

Much as I hate to admit it, RG was right about this last year when we signed Paton.

He has another full season on the clock.

All there is to add is that Paton was fucking horrific at the start of the season, I mean one of the worst players I have ever seen levels. He sorted out some sort of health issue and improved of a fashion but he was still not very good. He certainly stopped embarrassing himself every week though.

Watch out for him being on the ball with time in the middle, and firing a sideways chest height pass directly at a winger or full back. Really picks some headscratching moments for that particular routine.

The snarling thing is pretty transparent too, but it does occasionally result in him absolutely slamming into somecunt which is worth a spot of applause. He also has the Partick fans mega rattled.

Nope. We think (and chant) thats he’s an arsehole (which he undoubtably is). This rattles Paton all the time, so much so that he gave it a GIRUY seen the Jackie Husband Stand last because he tackled one of our players whilst losing 2-0.

Nope. We think (and chant) thats he’s an arsehole (which he undoubtably is). This rattles Paton all the time, so much so that he gave it a GIRUY seen the Jackie Husband Stand last because he tackled one of our players whilst losing 2-0.
Definitely rattled.

It really is quite simple, if he proves to be a trouble maker or doesn’t play the game in the way the team requires, he’ll get punted again. 

If he turns out to be a model professional that fits perfectly into our team, I’m sure he’ll then appear on the team sheet every week he is fit.