Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Ah yes, unless you're 6 foot plus and can run 100 metres in under 11 seconds you can't be a full back in the Premier league in Scotland. 

I'll be taking bullshit on that. Cheers.

I'm not even sure you're aware of what point your making now "Names small winger who played in championship" isn't coping! "Names other small ex championship player who was actually slower and less skillful" But this guy is!... Wait wot? 

It's almost like, players going into different teams, and different systems is also important? Has anyone considered this? Does that mean you don't have to be in the shape of prime Dolph Lundergren to play in the Premier or does footballing ability come into it at any point? Does the team you're playing for and the way you're expecting to operate count? What about coaching, have we thought about that? 

Or is it a case of banging up a 10 second video from 2 years and being damned for eternity? 

I'm saying that Comrie is too small, and slow, to ever be a regular full back in the top flight. 

There's a lot of middle ground between him and Rooney in that department.

Comrie’s 5’9. Depending where you look, Paul McGinn is 5’9 or 5’10. Paul McGinn has played well as a RB in the top flight. Comrie also isn’t horrendously slow. He may not be Usain Bolt, but he doesn’t often seem to be totally outpaced. I certainly wouldn’t say he’s any slower than Paul McGinn.

I don’t know (or care) how he performed when he played every so often for St Johnstone. Comrie has been a regular for us and played well on a consistent basis. I don’t understand this moronic argument that because he’s 2 inches under 6 foot, he will never be a good full back. This RandomGuy is either at the wind up, or just doesn’t understand football. His opinions seem to be based on what makes a good player on fifa, rather than what actually makes a good player in real life. Either that, or the Scottish top flight must be the pinnacle of athleticism, because you get plenty of full backs in the English premier league, that are below 6ft and aren’t ridiculously fast.

There are so many players that are poor for one team, then good for another/others. Particularly when they are young/inexperienced. That happens all the time. Having said that, a lot of our fans are showing the exact same attitude about Rooney, who has undoubtedly improved since his spell with.

Williamson is the best

Fully expect RandomGuy to Google Williamson now and demand St Johnstone sign him. He’s tall, he’s quick. Can’t play football, but that’s obviously not important for a full back.

I’m assuming the guy has never even heard of guys like Cannavaro - a world class CB and World Cup winning captain, who was only 5’9. Or maybe he wouldn’t be good enough to play in the Scottish top flight either...

Not comparing anyone in this debate to Cannavaro. Just pointing out how idiotic comments that Comrie isn’t tall enough to play in the Scottish top flight are.

Rooney was a bit raw and out of his depth when we needed a solid campaigner. Wrong team at the wrong time. 

My memories of him was him losing the st mirren cup game, not just him tbf, by marking on the wrong side at a throw-in.
Also playing albion rovers and hearing the locals roaring with laughter at him.
Weegie accent "haw haw haw who's this galloot"

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Comrie’s 5’9. Depending where you look, Paul McGinn is 5’9 or 5’10. Paul McGinn has played well as a RB in the top flight. Comrie also isn’t horrendously slow. He may not be Usain Bolt, but he doesn’t often seem to be totally outpaced. I certainly wouldn’t say he’s any slower than Paul McGinn.

I don’t know (or care) how he performed when he played every so often for St Johnstone. Comrie has been a regular for us and played well on a consistent basis. I don’t understand this moronic argument that because he’s 2 inches under 6 foot, he will never be a good full back. This RandomGuy is either at the wind up, or just doesn’t understand football. His opinions seem to be based on what makes a good player on fifa, rather than what actually makes a good player in real life. Either that, or the Scottish top flight must be the pinnacle of athleticism, because you get plenty of full backs in the English premier league, that are below 6ft and aren’t ridiculously fast.

There are so many players that are poor for one team, then good for another/others. Particularly when they are young/inexperienced. That happens all the time. Having said that, a lot of our fans are showing the exact same attitude about Rooney, who has undoubtedly improved since his spell with.

Hes too small and slow to play in the top flight because he couldn't defend.

He'd leave wingers options to go either side of him, lunge in, then be left for dead, constantly. If he was stronger/quicker he could've gotten away with it by being able to "recover".

Wingers are slower/less mobile in the second tier, so his window of error is much larger.

9 minutes ago, lochgellyPAR said:

He specifically said he wasn't comparing anybody to Cannavaro tho?

Yes, after comparing the two.

That's like me slagging Comrie, then ending the post by saying "but I'm not slagging Comrie"

We have had plenty players that have been guff, went away to find themselves in a team that suits them, and went on to play at a higher level. It happens all the time. I'm confident Comrie can make the step up. He is 100% the best right-back in the league. 

Yes, after comparing the two.
That's like me slagging Comrie, then ending the post by saying "but I'm not slagging Comrie"

Are you really this stupid, or is this just an act?

My Cannavaro comment was based on your idea that for a full back to be able to play in the Scottish top flight, they had to be over 6ft. I pointed out that a 5’9 centre back (a much more physical position) was a dominant defender and World Cup winning captain. At no point did I actually compare the two. I just used an example of a player the same height, to demonstrate how stupid your comments were. There are countless examples of defensive players under 6ft that have had excellent careers. Full backs like Lahm were small, but still excellent players.

As I say, Comrie is in no way comparable to these world class stars, but they’re examples that prove your theory on him being too small is a load of rubbish. Unless you believe that these players would not have coped with Scottish football?

3 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

your idea that for a full back to be able to play in the Scottish top flight, they had to be over 6ft.

Where did I say that?

Fwiw I'm saying Comrie is too small to play at the top flight, because he can't read the game well enough. Same move got him every time. If he was stronger/quicker, he likely could've done better against wingers as he'd be able to recover. With us, once he was beaten, he was out the game entirely.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Where did I say that?

Ok, sorry I rounded up a bit. But you have repeatedly on this thread said Comrie is too small. So based on your arguments, 5’10 is obviously the minimum height that might be acceptable for a full back, since Comrie is 5’9? Or are you going to admit that you’ve been talking rubbish?

Fwiw I'm saying Comrie is too small to play at the top flight, because he can't read the game well enough. Same move got him every time. If he was stronger/quicker, he likely could've done better against wingers as he'd be able to recover. With us, once he was beaten, he was out the game entirely.

Sorry, missed the bottom part before my last post.

This has nothing to do with height? What has being small got to do with any of those criticisms?

He may not have read the game well in his time with St Johnstone, I can’t comment on that. I’d never seen him play before he came here. If that’s the case though, he has come on a lot in his time with us and has been pretty solid defensively. He has also made a lot of very good recovery tackles, after making up ground when someone was in behind/he had to cover for a centre half who was caught out of position/beaten.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Ok, sorry I rounded up a bit. But you have repeatedly on this thread said Comrie is too small. So based on your arguments, 5’10 is obviously the minimum height that might be acceptable for a full back, since Comrie is 5’9? Or are you going to admit that you’ve been talking rubbish?

Its not my fault you're, wrongly, reading me calling him small as solely about his height, m8.