Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Well, he's not very good. He was definitely the victim of hype when he came to the Rovers, he was built up as the next big thing by Dundee, and their support seemed certain it was only a matter of time before he went down south for a fortune, and that he'd play for Scotland. Instead, he was garbage. 

If he hadn't scored the goal that relegated United, I don't think the Dundee fans would think particularly highly of him now either. That Hearts can't find a place for him in the Championship speaks volumes, too. 

As I say, though, maybe things will finally click for him. One of the biggest issues he had at Stark's was his complete lack of physicality, and he's clearly worked on that and bulked out since. 

He's just got an air about him though, of someone who always looks like he's got it, but never actually does. If I'm looking at the right stats, he's never scored more than three league goals in a season. He's 23. 

In terms of actual likeability, I'm not sure. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, I haven't seen too much of him recently, but he's just a bit "nothing". He's like the anti-Declan McManus in that sense. McManus, even when he's not scoring, is constantly being a wee dick and getting involved and kicking folk and causing grief. Wighton is just a bit *shrug*. 

20210212_201827.jpg

''That Hearts can't find a place for him in the Championship speaks volumes, too. ''

No It doesn't. Hearts are signing players that are top 6 in Premiership wage bracket. It doesn't reflect his championship capabilities. Did he no score a hattrick against Raith this season?

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Decent minutes per goal ratio in this league with both Hearts and Arbroath. Our strikers have really struggled for goals this season (other than penalties). Wighton’s also a bit more of a physical presence than what we’ve got, so it looks like a good signing for me. Fairly low risk as well, with it being a free transfer, he’s fairly young and keen to prove himself.

McManus is one of the top scorers in the league.

If we continue to play the same way, what will difference will Wighton make? He'll win a few balls or knock ons to no one since he'll be just as isolated? He'll get the same lack of chances if we play the same way.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
If you're referring to the section on the official site then it's pretty random as to who does and doesn't appear.
De Gier is an absolute nobody in the club's history though, so perhaps that's why he doesn't appear?

I couldn't see Michel Doesburg either.

He's behind the advertising board.

If we continue to play the same way, what will difference will Wighton make? He'll win a few balls or knock ons to no one since he'll be just as isolated? He'll get the same lack of chances if we play the same way.

McManus has 3 league goals from open play this season. That’s why I said he hasn’t scored many, once you take out penalties (one was a free kick too, to be fair). He hasn’t, it’s as simple as that. Wighton has the same amount from open play, despite playing less than half the minutes. He also scored 3 for Arbroath in 5 games at this level last season. That being said, I don’t think his goals are why we’ve signed him. McManus and O’Hara’s lack of goals aren’t entirely their fault. They’ve been too isolated and service hasn’t been great. But they also don’t seem to work as a partnership - we’ve tried that too.

As for the questions, we have one win in 8 games. I hope he isn’t planning to play the same way! Particularly if, as you say, Wighton can’t make any difference in that system. Early in the season, we tried 2 up front and it didn’t work with McManus and O’Hara, so it’s hardly ridiculous to think he might play 2 up front again. Wighton can also play in behind the striker, which could be useful if Dow’s out longer term. There’s no doubt that our strikers have been too isolated in most games, but surely it’s obvious that this signing is seen as a way to try and solve that. I don’t understand why you’re suggesting that Crawford will not try and change the system - despite the fact he’s already changed it quite a few times this season.

But why look at facts/positives, let’s just write Wighton off before he’s even trained with us. Never mind giving him time to settle into the team.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think we will play in the same way, O'Hara and McManus are both players not famed for there link up play. 

On 11/02/2021 at 12:27, DAFC. said:

Said it in the match thread against Dundee. Finishing below 4th would be total failure given how shit the league is. He should rightfully be sacked if it happens. However, I think we might actually have enough about us to stumble in to the play-offs. 

TBF, been mucking about with this (its done off transfermarkt game weeks, so postponed games etc., can mess with it, but idea is there), and you've not been below 3rd this season.

Dunf.thumb.png.7916dacd3e17aa101313748eb64012cb.png

33 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

But why look at facts/positives, let’s just write Wighton off before he’s even trained with us. Never mind giving him time to settle into the team.

Why are you deliberately ignoring what I said in my last paragraph in my first post about this?

Don't do that snidey shite. That's w**k behaviour.

26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think we will play in the same way, O'Hara and McManus are both players not famed for there link up play. 

Yeah hopefully we do try a different way as what we've been doing isn't working.

Be interesting to see how we line up against Alloa, as he'll have almost a full squad to choose from.

Who knows how it turns out. Only 23 . Seems like his did well at Arbroath last year with 3 in 5 and scored 7 in 15 for Hearts this season.

Not sure why so many Pars fans are down on this signing. Can't have seen much of him.

It's not like our current strikers are on fire.  McManus has been decent. He lacks quality in terms of touch and skill but still effective. The other two have looked poor. Surely a potential partner or a competitor for McManus is a good thing.

5 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Utterly shocked that Rovers fans think an ex Rovers player who signs for Dunfermline is shite.

I know it doesn't fit with your narrative, but Rovers fans have thought he was shite well before he signed with Dunfermline. It isn't anything to do with that, I'm afraid. 

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Crawford saying dow got an mri on his calf and mentioned achilles. 

Hope not but achilles injury this seems like what happened on the pitch. Obviously I'm no expert but it takes months for this usually. Bell had this.

Grim news. Achilles injuries take a very long time to heal.