Sam Young

Liam Hoggan

Jake Rennie

Out of contract -

Deniz Mehmet 

Aaron Comrie

Rhys Breen

Kyle MacDonald

Paul McGowan (think he's here on loan though)

Kevin O'Hara

Craig Wighton

Nikolay Todorov

I would offer terms to Mehmet, Wighton, Breen and one of MacDonald or Comrie. Unsure about McGowan I think he could be useful but not sure if he has the legs to last a season and with a tight budget probably best to maximize wages.

I wouldn't be against Todorov staying but feel better options could be out there also think Sutherland could add depth to the striking department, he's looked decent in the reserve games against some reasonable defenders, McGregor at Hibs for instance but he could probably do with a 6 month loan.

Getting Comrie, MacDonald, Breen, and Wighton signed up would give us a solid base to work from for next season.

I think we need better than O'Hara and Todorov to be frank.

Deniz has played himself into a contract and another chance at the championship imo. Obviously depends on his wage demands if rumours are to be believed. 

In saying that I wouldn't be devastated if any of them left.

Of those under contract I have concerns about Allan and McCann stepping up.

One player I really like the look of who seems to be out of contract is Scott Allardice at ICT. 

Have to admit, I don’t really take much note of opposition players. But guys that have impressed me this season would include:

Josh Rae. 
Adam Frizzell
Ruari Paton 
Callumn Morrison
Rumarn Burrell. 
Alfie Agyeman

There’ll be others and I don’t know contract situations, but I reckon they’d improve our squad based on what I’ve seen. As I’ve said previously though, we need championship experience/proven championship players.

On 10/04/2023 at 15:51, 101 said:

Under contract -

Max Little

Kyle Benedictus

Josh Edwards

Miller Fenton

Jake Rennie

Chris Hamilton 

Paul Allan

Joe Chalmers

Micheal Beagley

Matty Todd

Lewis McCann

Taylor Sutherland

Andrew Tod

Sam Young

Liam Hoggan

Jake Rennie

Out of contract -

Deniz Mehmet 

Aaron Comrie

Rhys Breen

Kyle MacDonald

Paul McGowan (think he's here on loan though)

Kevin O'Hara

Craig Wighton

Nikolay Todorov

I would offer terms to Mehmet, Wighton, Breen and one of MacDonald or Comrie. Unsure about McGowan I think he could be useful but not sure if he has the legs to last a season and with a tight budget probably best to maximize wages.

I wouldn't be against Todorov staying but feel better options could be out there also think Sutherland could add depth to the striking department, he's looked decent in the reserve games against some reasonable defenders, McGregor at Hibs for instance but he could probably do with a 6 month loan.

Sad times but we definitely need more quality in the door, especially in the final third.

Out of contract -

Deniz Mehmet - 100% deserves a new deal, didn't think I'd be saying that in July but here we are. Is he on big money? Could we potentially get an equally good keeper in but for less? Airdrie's keeper looked good every time we played them, if they don't come up he might have some interest. 

Aaron Comrie - Keep, solid 7/10 most weeks and will slot in to centre back if required.

Rhys Breen - Keep, another I didn't think I'd be saying in July but he's done well. Bene will 100% need more legs around him next season, and I really hope Fisher is one of them.

Kyle MacDonald - Keep, I think he can get better but needs to work on some things.

Paul McGowan (think he's here on loan though) - Could be an asset after a full pre-season. Offer a deal since he'll be free.

Kevin O'Hara - Not good enough unfortunately. In his first season I said he'd score loads and every time he did I'd send another poster on here a message to remind him of his tally, he never got near where I thought he would. He was such a poacher and nuisance in his time at Alloa but he seems a bit shot shy, doesn't like being in the box. Good with his head in 6 yards, will give him that but I think his time is up.

Craig Wighton - Keep. Very underrated, not your typical number 9 but he's technically one of the best footballers at the club. He's done well this year, got big goals in big games too! He'll not get the plaudits Bene, Matty Todd and Deniz will get, but he's been good. Tuned in to Falkirk Daft for a right laugh last night and noticed one of their hosts said he thought Wighton was hopeless (or a similar word, can't remember). I suppose he hasn't played his absolute best in those games, potentially down to our tactics in the game, but he's bagged two goals including the winner at Grangemouth which will do me.

Nikolay Todorov - I like big Todorov, he's became a bit of a fans favourite and has come up with some late goals in games. Last season he didn't get a fair crack under our idiotic managers despite bagging a few goals. His late winner against Ayr this time last year was massive, even though it meant nothing in the end. He's definitely got ability and his effort can't be faulted but I don't know if he'll be here next season. I think he's a good option off the bench, but does he want to continue to be that guy? I'm not so sure. Really decent bloke, his kid and my kid went to the same football class on a Saturday morning this season and we always had a blether about that days fixture etc. As it stands, I'd keep Wighton and Todorov, McCann already contracted but would move on O'Hara, could see Todorov going too if I'm being totally honest. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

11 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Deniz Mehmet - 100% deserves a new deal, didn't think I'd be saying that in July but here we are. Is he on big money? Could we potentially get an equally good keeper in but for less? Airdrie's keeper looked good every time we played them, if they don't come up he might have some interest. 

Josh Rae is certainly capable of moving upwards, maybe even higher that the Championship. He was on a 1 year deal at Airdrie but others believe there is a deal in place for him to remain next season due to the club paying for his shoulder operation which caused him to miss half the season. I have no reason to doubt but everyone has a price.

9 minutes ago, Heaton said:

What's the story on Sat if Falkirk get beat? Does our result matter? Where's all those stato mathematician types?

If Falkirk drop any points, we win the league. They need 12/12 to have any chance of catching us.

11 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I think we have 10 clean sheets away from home.

Conceded 3 against Airdrie, 2 against Falkirk and 2 against Montrose. 

In the other 13 away games we have Conceded 3 in total (Clyde, Montrose and Kelty)

Dunfermline have got the formula for getting out this league. If you look at past seasons the teams that go up lose less than a goal a game, or thereabouts. To lose more than that you need be exceptional going forwards like Ayr Utd a few years ago when they had Shankland and scored 90+ goals, although even then they won by the skin of their teeth. That's why, although it's been brilliant to watch us this season hammering teams, I've never got too excited because over a season that's not going to get you anywhere unless you can also grind out results, as we've seen. Dunfermline are 4th in goals scored and only 3 ahead of Alloa and Queens, but their goals against is astounding. So good that if Dunfermline hadn't scored a single goal this season they would currently be sitting on 19 points, avoiding relegation in 8th place!

I remember posting on this thread around October/November time that they'd win the league by 10-15 points. They reminded me so much of Cove from last season, both teams just seemed to have that ability to get the job done when required. Cove were more just flat track bullies last season which is why they are getting shown up this year amongst better teams. Dunfermline's success seems to be more down to structure and organisation, and having enough quality up front to get enough goals. Therefore with a few quality additions I'd expect them to cope fine next year.

11 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

if Dunfermline hadn't scored a single goal this season they would currently be sitting on 19 points, avoiding relegation in 8th place!

Brilliant stat, thanks for that.

It's not been pretty for the vast majority of this season, especially when you compare it to our last League 1 winning season where we were blowing teams away, but of course we will take it. It will be a really interesting summer to see if McPake sticks with what has given him success this season or attempts to change the style and formation for the Championship campaign. Hopefully the latter as it's been a hard watch this year, but I can't argue with the results.

6 minutes ago, Weegie Par said:

Brilliant stat, thanks for that.

It's not been pretty for the vast majority of this season, especially when you compare it to our last League 1 winning season where we were blowing teams away, but of course we will take it. It will be a really interesting summer to see if McPake sticks with what has given him success this season or attempts to change the style and formation for the Championship campaign. Hopefully the latter as it's been a hard watch this year, but I can't argue with the results.

In fairness I actually forgot to factor in the additional points that Clyde and Peterhead would have gained from not losing those matches, so I think you'd actually just have been relegated as things stand, a point behind Clyde. Still remarkable that a team could almost have avoided relegation without a scoring a goal.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In fairness I actually forgot to factor in the additional points that Clyde and Peterhead would have gained from not losing those matches, so I think you'd actually just have been relegated as things stand, a point behind Clyde. Still remarkable that a team could almost have avoided relegation without a scoring a goal.

Oh. McPake out!