Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Posted (edited)

He'd be a really good signing for Kelty. Hope he does well.

Are we sure it's Kelty and not Inverness?

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Paul Allan linked with Kelty. See he played quite a few games for the Pars last season, guessing he'd be a good signing at our level? 

Should be, maybe an indication that tidser will play himself less as they are quite similar players IMO 

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Should be, maybe an indication that tidser will play himself less as they are quite similar players IMO 

Just a rumour at the moment but makes sense.

On 01/06/2024 at 09:07, Rob1885 said:

If the Edwards deal goes through I'd like us to go back and make Allan an offer.

I don't get all the sudden clamour across forums and social media for Allan. I've seen so many posts about how shocked people were that he was released which is baffling. He was underwhelming for the most of the season (33 games, two goals, three assists) where he had the chance to play a lot of games due to injury and didn't really do much, especially in open play. I seen someone say they wished we'd kept him for his dead ball qualities, one set piece goal and three corner assists is hardly worth mentioning.

For the past 12 months people across forums and social media have been saying how we needed stronger players in the middle when Otoo and Hammy were having to play as centre halves, yet once it comes to him leaving the club folk are questioning the decision like we're letting prime Barry Nic go. I get the local boy, Pars fan, came though the youth setup thing but where we want to be this coming season is top end of Championship and I don't think he's that level.

Also not buying the McPake and McKay thing about them wanting to keep him but not being able to. If he was as good as they think, then the budget they have to use would be going towards keeping him.

I think a league one move would be good for him and if Kelty are interested it sounds like a no brainer.

Agreed. I'd rather and hope we are looking to improve on what we have or at least add someone else of similar quality and prospect as Otoo. Alan was fine as a squad filler but that's all and I suspect his game time he got may have led to him wanting a decent pay rise as he'd have been on a low youth salary.

I'm obviously making assumptions there and you couldn't blame him,  but I think that's where the whole comment from Mcpake etc stems from. He wanted more than we think he's worth.

Also agree.

If Paul wasn't a local lad, who didn't come through the system, didn't support the Pars, I doubt anyone would really care. Obviously, it would be great to see Paul succeed, especially with us, but I can't understand how anyone could reconcile "we must improve the overall quality in the squad" with "we must keep Paul Allan". The club must be ruthless and were it not for contracts, at least 3 or 4 others would also be free to go to make way for wider improvements.

It obviously isn't helped with the absolute minimum of activity from the club, so folk are filling the void with idle complaints and frustrations. If the money freed up goes to good use, the complaints and frustrations will quickly dry up. The question is whether the club can or will improve the squad this summer and it would be good if there was something from the club soon...

Afternoon!

Hoping to go to the Dunfermline - Cove game in the League Cup - will be my first ever visit.

Where's the best bet(s) for a half decent pint before the game? Anywhere near the ground at all?

Thanks in advance!

56 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Also agree.

If Paul wasn't a local lad, who didn't come through the system, didn't support the Pars, I doubt anyone would really care. Obviously, it would be great to see Paul succeed, especially with us, but I can't understand how anyone could reconcile "we must improve the overall quality in the squad" with "we must keep Paul Allan". The club must be ruthless and were it not for contracts, at least 3 or 4 others would also be free to go to make way for wider improvements.

It obviously isn't helped with the absolute minimum of activity from the club, so folk are filling the void with idle complaints and frustrations. If the money freed up goes to good use, the complaints and frustrations will quickly dry up. The question is whether the club can or will improve the squad this summer and it would be good if there was something from the club soon...

Spot on especially the bold.

Just now, barnseytheclaret said:

Afternoon!

Hoping to go to the Dunfermline - Cove game in the League Cup - will be my first ever visit.

Where's the best bet(s) for a half decent pint before the game? Anywhere near the ground at all?

Thanks in advance!

There's two stadiums in the ground, I'd imagine being the League Cup and given the opposition, both would be open to away fans but not 100%. However, there are better pubs in the city centre which is only a 10 minute walk from the ground. Alternatively, there is the Elizabethan which tends to be an away pub, a five minute walk down Halbeath Road from the ground.

IMO, if you want a good pint then the Elizabethan would cover that, they have a fairly large selection of drink. The bars at the club are a bit more limited, I'm sure Carling is on draft, less said about that the better.

Just now, The Toun Clock said:

There's two stadiums in the ground, I'd imagine being the League Cup and given the opposition, both would be open to away fans but not 100%. However, there are better pubs in the city centre which is only a 10 minute walk from the ground. Alternatively, there is the Elizabethan which tends to be an away pub, a five minute walk down Halbeath Road from the ground.

IMO, if you want a good pint then the Elizabethan would cover that, they have a fairly large selection of drink. The bars at the club are a bit more limited, I'm sure Carling is on draft, less said about that the better.

Cheers...any decent boozers in the town itself? Happy to walk a fair distance, to be honest! 🙂

5 minutes ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Cheers...any decent boozers in the town itself? Happy to walk a fair distance, to be honest! 🙂

Old Inn, Somewhere Else, East Port Bar, Seven Kings. All in quite close proximity. Enjoy!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

There's two stadiums in the ground

That's how much of a massive club we are, we had to build an extra stadium

1 hour ago, barnseytheclaret said:

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Old Inn, Somewhere Else, East Port Bar, Seven Kings. All in quite close proximity. Enjoy!

Add commercial inn to that.  I think its worth noting that old inn is where the club were formed for people who haven't been to the town and are coming for football.

49 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I'd re sign John Herron. 

fucking hell forgot about him, wondered what he got up too,  turns out he went to n. Ireland, got sacked for being a bit too celticy and being caught with an up the ra shirt,  which he claimed was cos he loved the wolftones and didn't realise what it meant 🤣  He's now arsing around in a jobber Australian league having been told to retire with fucked knees. 

Edited by parsforlife

On 29/05/2024 at 11:22, The Toun Clock said:

It's a weird one, because the figure knocked back in the winter window was six figures, reported in numerous papers. Another was knocked back recently and we've obviously said what we want and it's been met, however now Charlton fans and a couple of English rumour pages on Twitter are saying it's five figures, one guy saying that the journo who said it never gets it wrong. Josh Edwards is IMO worth a six figure sum, but a lower end, say £150K most. If we managed to get anything over £500K then that's ridiculous business.

We had similar with Ali McCann, FWIW.

Media and club up here spoke about the fee breaching £1.8m, media and club in England said it was just over £1m.

Whether clauses/add ons, or the initial up front fee, are used depends on what side of the deal you're on.

Its very possible you turned down a six figure fee (3 installments of £50k) last season, but have now accepted a five figure fee (2 installments of £90k), and its just the English bothering to report their perspective the second time thats making it look weird.