Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

We maybe spent some money, we didn't spend anywhere near the money we got or if we did on those players it's ridiculous mismanagement, they aren't worth it, if they were they would also be subject to 6 figure bids this summer.

That would suggest that Hibs got the entire transfer fee upfront, which I would imagine in unlikely.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

We maybe spent some money, we didn't spend anywhere near the money we got or if we did on those players it's ridiculous mismanagement, they aren't worth it, if they were they would also be subject to 6 figure bids this summer.

Given that we are heavily rumoured to have run at a loss last season, I think it is fair to say we spent more than the money we received.

I think it is also fair to say that the major expense each season is the players' wage bill.  

As mentioned above, it is a bit disingenuous to write off KRH or Fisher for not attracting six figure bids following an extremely stop start campaign for both of them.  I'd be surprised if Otoo isn't on the radar of some bigger clubs.

5 hours ago, 101 said:

That would suggest that Hibs got the entire transfer fee upfront, which I would imagine in unlikely.

What rob was hinting too was cook from a fan meeting to paraphrase 'we've received the money from hibs and its being used for cash flow'

5 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Given that we are heavily rumoured to have run at a loss last season, I think it is fair to say we spent more than the money we received.

I think it is also fair to say that the major expense each season is the players' wage bill.  

As mentioned above, it is a bit disingenuous to write off KRH or Fisher for not attracting six figure bids following an extremely stop start campaign for both of them.  I'd be surprised if Otoo isn't on the radar of some bigger clubs.

We've very likely to have made a loss, but I just find it almost impossible to believe more money is being spent on the first team than previous championship seasons when we were posting profits. That would heavily suggest the losses being made are as a result of the other activities that the fussball group have taken on.

We ran at a modest profit in some of those seasons, but the club was largely run by volunteers.

In 2018/19 however, they lost over £700k.

As you know, it is different now as there are people employed to do some of those jobs, so overheads have gone up.  The largest expense will still be the first team though. 

53 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

We ran at a modest profit in some of those seasons, but the club was largely run by volunteers.

In 2018/19 however, they lost over £700k.

As you know, it is different now as there are people employed to do some of those jobs, so overheads have gone up.  The largest expense will still be the first team though. 

The books were pretty much balanced under Ross McAthurs tenureship apart from that season you mentioned. If I remember correctly, that significant loss was a factor in the board going out to seek additional investment and fresh blood, ending up in Gmbh coming onboard. The previous Board had had enough and weren't prepared to invest more of their own resources. Mind you given what a good few of them lost to Masterton who could blame them.

In their efforts to professionalise the club further it will obviously cost a lot more, but with that we should see the club develop on all fronts, including increased revenue streams (while balancing the books as best they can). I look forward to that being the case.

4 minutes ago, North West said:

In their efforts to professionalise the club further it will obviously cost a lot more, but with that we should see the club develop on all fronts, including increased revenue streams (while balancing the books as best they can). I look forward to that being the case.

Yep, let's see how they get on, but I wont be holding my breath

Posted (edited)

Genuinely think Strapp is an upgrade on Edwards. If we can sign strap for f all whilst making coin on Edwards that would be great!

I wouldn’t be shocked if there were other clubs, potentially more attractive that were interested, however I wonder if Strapp can see the type of move Josh Edwards is getting, and can visualise similar for himself. Come in, do well for a year or two and get the move down south or whatever. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

I hated Edwards' long throws. Never worked and was basically chucking possession away for too often. Also there were times when a quicker throw in was on to keep the attack going but we'd slow things right down in getting Edwards to take, allowing the opposition time to fill their box.

Awful, awful, dinosaur footballing tactics.

On 06/06/2024 at 03:57, Heaton said:

A lot of the team were out of position for a lot of last season and playing through knocks and injuries and so it's hard to judge the squad properly imo. Even though they didn't look great on the final run in, I blame the fear of losing and how McPake set them up to not lose for that.

That’s how I seen it last season too. We still need to strengthen and increase the squad size in case of injuries again this season. Naturally we all want far better players than we huffed and puffed with last season, and that will mean one or two regular starters from last season finding themselves on the bench. That and players we have now being played in their best positions will be a huge help in finishing top four at the very least this season. 
Kane being signed up has been a big boost for us, he is the type of quality we need and want. My neebur was telling me that Walcott is still here and seen wearing a Pars training kit in a video on social media? I haven’t seen this for myself but hope it’s true. He would be a massive signing for us if we could land him. Strapp being hinted at is an exciting prospect too. I know all the talk of running at a loss is disheartening but James will have his playing budget figures and if Walcott and Strapp are potential targets then our budget can’t be too bad? The board will surely know that they’ll have to dig deep for the title at some point, and Livi aside we should be able to compete for players with the rest if we are serious about winning promotion.
As always though, I’m not believing anything until it’s announced. 

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I hated Edwards' long throws. Never worked and was basically chucking possession away for too often. Also there were times when a quicker throw in was on to keep the attack going but we'd slow things right down in getting Edwards to take, allowing the opposition time to fill their box.

Awful, awful, dinosaur footballing tactics.

Not sure it can be branded dinosaur tactics given it’s only recently the ball he been light enough to chuck any sort of distance. Edward’s had a long throw but I felt not quite long enough to cause havoc in the box.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also there were times when a quicker throw in was on to keep the attack going but we'd slow things right down 

This both baffled and infuriated me. We all seen Raith get the ball back in play quickly and it worked well. I always wondered why we never tried it 

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

Not sure it can be branded dinosaur tactics given it’s only recently the ball he been light enough to chuck any sort of distance. Edward’s had a long throw but I felt not quite long enough to cause havoc in the box.

There was a lad famed for doing it at Tranmere as far back as 1994.