Walking Down The Halbeath Road

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If that figure is accurate then it explains why we missed out on him as even that is above what we’d be willing to pay for a player. I’m not sure who our highest earner would be. Best guess is someone like Dowds or McMann and I reckon even they will fall short of that number. 

The figure is what was allegedly quoted by the Courier to McPake as what Ayr had offered him. 

25 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Plus a figure a journalist heard through the grapevine, whosaid to McPake (for a cheap headline it seems), who said to Meggle, who said to a group of fans isn't very robust. 

Given we were interested in Ashcroft, it seems much more likely that the figure came from his agent, rather than a journalist. Not sure where that assumption came from.

Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past an agent to claim other clubs have offered £1,700 per week, when they’ve only offered £1,400 or something, to try and squeeze as much money out of clubs as possible.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Given we were interested in Ashcroft, it seems much more likely that the figure came from his agent, rather than a journalist. Not sure where that assumption came from.

Having said that, I wouldn’t put it past an agent to claim other clubs have offered £1,700 per week, when they’ve only offered £1,400 or something, to try and squeeze as much money out of clubs as possible.

Not an assumption. According to that write up from last night on EEB Meggle said it was quoted by a journalist to McPake. 

28 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Also as he's signed a two year deal with Thistle he'll be on less than that I assume now as he has guaranteed money for two years at the age of 31.

2 hours ago, par-adise said:

Interesting reading. I'm not having that £1700 a week figure for Ashcroft though. 

They're allegedly throwing a similar (slightly higher) figure at Oakley. 

Shouldn't be a shock to any fans of Ayr, Raith or Partick that the clubs see an opportunity and are chucking money at going up.

Just now, Ex Machina said:

They're allegedly throwing a similar (slightly higher) figure at Oakley. 

Shouldn't be a shock to any fans of Ayr, Raith or Partick that the clubs see an opportunity and are chucking money at going up.

No we are not :lol:

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Dode Oakley is on 3k a week

That was last week, he's on 10k this week.  

1 minute ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Got 10% of the Celtic gate too.

Its a grand old gate to play for.  

I doubt there are many (if any) players in this division making £1700 p/w basic salary. I haven’t been told any actual figures for specific players but going by what I’ve heard from someone at PTFC who would have this kind of insight, the basic wage at this level is relatively low but often supplemented by appearance fees, goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, etc.

There may be a few players with these types of additional clauses that can clear somewhere up to £2k on a good week, but even then I’d guess there will only be a handful of them across the whole division. And Lee Ashcroft being one of them seems a shout that’s far-fetched at best.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I doubt there are many (if any) players in this division making £1700 p/w basic salary. I haven’t been told any actual figures for specific players but going by what I’ve heard from someone at PTFC who would have this kind of insight, the basic wage at this level is relatively low but often supplemented by appearance fees, goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, etc.

There may be a few players with these types of additional clauses that can clear somewhere up to £2k on a good week, but even then I’d guess there will only be a handful of them across the whole division. And Lee Ashcroft being one of them seems a shout that’s far-fetched at best.

Turner isn't miles off that £1,700 weekly figure.

I'd imagine Bene, Wotherspoon and Kane all at the upper end of wage structure in the experienced players/leaders group mentioned in last night's update. Big season for Bene if we're being honest - needs to avoid injury and while he improved the team on his return last season, going to be under a lot of scrutiny this season and his performance at the weekend (while a pre-season friendly) was... concerning.

4 minutes ago, Wacky said:

The team that finished the game tonight is the team that should start on Saturday 

I would go with the team that started with Sutherland replacing Whighton and Kane on for McCann.

Who was No 30, he played a few great balls.

8 hours ago, Heaton said:

If the trialists came on, then we'll need to sign them first

They were on, and I think they will both be signed up. I thought our young lads played without fear and they gave a really good performance. They got forward quicker and more directly than the established players. McPake said that some first team players better look over their shoulder because these young lads are playing and training really well. Once again Taylor is proving to be a handful for defenders, and was, IMO, the standout player last night. 
McCann seems to be playing much better so far this season too, and looks like he has picked up some pace in comparison to last season? Bene must have a headache and sore neck today, he cleared some powerful shots with his head in the fist half, one in particular made him take a minute or two to recover from. Chalmers was hot and cold last night, and I think he has to be more forward thinking than sideways or back. Mehmet wasn’t good enough last night, I don’t anything good to say about him so I’ll say no more. 
IMO, that was a good performance against a decent premier team, and even more so in the second half. 

https://dafc.co.uk/manager-post-dundee/