Walking Down The Halbeath Road

If everyone is fit and I can pick the formation then I'm going - 

4-2-3-1

Deniz -

Comrie, Bene, Breen, Ngenwa

Hammy, Otoo

KRH, Wotherspoon, Todd

Kane

If we sign the boy from New Zealand then I'd have him playing higher up off the left whilst Matty is injured. Already shown he has the ability to put balls into the box, something we sucked at last season.

32 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

4-2-3-1:

Mehmet

Comrie / Bene / Fisher / Ngwenya

Hamilton / Otoo

KRH / Wotherspoon / Todd

Kane

By some distance, GK and defence is my biggest concern currently.

Genuinely think that's a strong XI but the same can't be said for the bench. Really need cover in midfield.

What's been used during the last few friendlies? If it's been the 3 at the back with wing backs, then that's what I'd put my money on as being the formation at the start of the season at least. As disappointing as that may be

25 minutes ago, Heaton said:

What's been used during the last few friendlies? If it's been the 3 at the back with wing backs, then that's what I'd put my money on as being the formation at the start of the season at least. As disappointing as that may be

100% this 

16 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Yeah, the original question was what would my ideal formation be. If we're asking what I think it will be:

Mehmet

Breen / Bene / Fisher

KRH / Hamilton / Otoo / Ngwenya

Wotherspoon

Kane / Wighton

Still a strong XI IMO, but this doesn't really grab me since it gives me even more fear about our GK/defence, and dilutes influence of KRH, but I suspect McPake feels the 2 strikers helps take the load of Kane a little and has the opposition full-backs more occupied. It's possible this formation gives more flexibility in rotating in squad players - example: if we sign Supyk, there's not a lot of scope for playing them both under 4-2-3-1 whereas I could probably fit them both in with the above formation. I also think we'd see more of McCann and Sutherland if we play 2 up top - less so with 4-2-3-1.

At this level though, you'd like to think we can play either depending on the opposition.

I think the majority would go with a very similar team.  Fisher would definitely start ahead of Breen for me and you can afford to go with a back 4 if Bene is fit, with Otoo and Hamilton in front of them. 

As Todd is injured, I might be tempted to go with O'Halloran on the left.  He's been pretty ineffective so far for us but has often played as a wing-back or coming on as a sub and filling in for someone who has gone off injured.  McCann would probably get the spot if McPake and Co went with that formation though - and I've not seen enough of Sutherland to know if he would be effective there.  

Regardless of all of that, we will start the season playing with a back 3.

Was anyone expecting McPake to change from his favoured formation? Such stubbornness was part of the reason he got punted from Dundee. It will probably cost him his job here at some point too.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Was anyone expecting McPake to change from his favoured formation? Such stubbornness was part of the reason he got punted from Dundee. It will probably cost him his job here at some point too.

not really - more of the same. you would have thought he would have used friendlies to experiment?

8 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Did he not normally play 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Dundee?  I am sure when they played at EEP towards the end of the season they got promoted - with Mullen, Cummings and McMullen up top.

Yeah we played 4-3-3 at the end of that season, though the midfield 3 of Adam, Byrne and McGhee is more fondly remembered than those up front.

55 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

not really - more of the same. you would have thought he would have used friendlies to experiment?

I think he’s changed the system at half time in most, if not all(?) games. I really hope he sees sense and changes things.

We will not get the best out of KRH or Comrie with the back 3. We’ll also be very defensive/sit very deep if we start both Hamilton and Otoo, in front of the back 3. It’s not the right system at all, with the players we’ve got at the club.

KRH is wasted playing wing back but I can't see him coming away from his preferred formation. Hope Sutherland gets more game time the lad looks the part. Mehmet our No1 for the season gives me the fear.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

I think he’s changed the system at half time in most, if not all(?) games. I really hope he sees sense and changes things.

We will not get the best out of KRH or Comrie with the back 3. We’ll also be very defensive/sit very deep if we start both Hamilton and Otoo, in front of the back 3. It’s not the right system at all, with the players we’ve got at the club.

On your first paragraph that's what I don't get, in his first season it was a breath of fresh air how McPake would change formation from game to game, and even within games he would switch it up if it wasn't working. How often would we look better in the second half with some tweaks that the management team had made? That just wasn't the case last season, for a large part of it the consensus was (and it was a fair idea) that he was picking the 5 atb formation due to the players he had avaliable. However even by the end of the season when we had players returning he stuck with it. I could almost understand it because we had Josh Edwards. But I really don't get it now with the players we have available. 

Like far too many Scottish managers it probably comes down to a negative outlook, a fear of losing; rather than primarily being a team set up to win, we're more often a team set up to not lose. Not always the case of course but seems to be too much. Defence first before attack is the outlook.

We often see it when Scottish teams play in Europe. Going back for us, Hay utterly shat it in Europe. We saw it at the Euros with Clarke.

6 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

That really is a cracking kit and also an excellent video.

Well done to all involved. 

Aye, should be a nice earner for the club, that'll sell very well. 

Cracking stuff.