Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

So up to 75% of the Club is going up for sale, I guess the question is are there investors, or a single white knight, who have an interest in turning money into deducible losses? We've seen with Mr. Coffee at Falkirk, Silverbear at Raith and ICT's recent fiasco that there are plenty of chancers about, is there a standout name or group that's likely to step forward?

These chancers get opportunities when you have majority shareholders who are not supporters and the current majority shareholder gets bored, runs out of cash, have been in too long. Raith under you current set up are just as vulnerable to that as Dunfermline are now. If fans get high on the short term cash and promises of people in control of their club without broader strong shareholding from the wider support clubs will always be vulnerable to these types getting a hold. 

I don’t understand how these things work, but I would have thought that getting the team to the top league would have been a priority. The money spent on this training ground/academy should have been used to get us to the top league as I feel it would have made more financial sense. Winning games fill stadiums and boost season ticket sales, you only have to look at Raith and Falkirk to see that, and we all know that when you hit the top league your players become more valuable and you can command a higher fee for them. The training ground should have played second place to filling the seats in the stadium I feel it was an act of pure incompetence from these people. They wanted to produce young talent that would give them a return for their investment, yet they let the team go backwards, that in turn kept fans away which means less cash coming through the turnstiles. 
WTF were they thinking about not getting goalkeeper cover in, and no club doctor is farcical. You’d have thought both would be a priority yet they couldn’t see that. And blaming the fans for not getting behind their backward thinking was an act of cowardice. Just admit you got it wrong and appeal to the fans to help turn it around. We would have stood beside them to help our club, we did it before and I’ll bet my left baw we’ll do it again this time. Like many Pars fans I gave my time money and effort along with all my old strips and memorabilia to help the last time we were called to action. I know we will do it again if required. this club has the potential to reach the premier and stay there if the BOD will invest in us winning games first and foremost. 
let’s get these guys out the way and get this club back on its feet again. They won’t be able to stop themselves looking, and they will see what they could have had if they invested more on winning games. 
IMO, it’s clear that the manager had his hands tied (though he isn’t blameless for the results) but we have to get behind him and the players we have for the rest of the season while we wait for the call to arms once again. 

1 hour ago, BPM said:

Nonsense. Brentford have invested millions in how they identify and target players. 

It's £100m+ they've spent now on setting up facilities. 

This idea they're some plucky underdog picking up scraps and punching beyond their weight is correct in terms of English, but dangerous to think could be easily copied. The "pluck other teams forgotten reserve players" isn't how they operate at all, and within 2 years of the new owners approach they were chucking £5m fees about and running at a net deficit for transfers, which is happening more and more. It's as much down to having millionaire owners with enough belief in their set up to gamble on spending to accumulate as it is some magical formula only they know.

You can't scale down from players worth millions to players worth nothing and think it'll work at a lower level.

Anyone that thinks McPake might suddenly change how he sets up his teams is probably in for a bit of a shock.

He needs to go as soon as possible as well.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyone that thinks McPake might suddenly change how he sets up his teams is probably in for a bit of a shock.

I’m clinging onto hope that McPakes stubbornness was partly to show the board that we needed bodies in. Unlikely I know. 

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He won't go during a transition period unless we end up in well behind the pack 

The bizarre thing with McPake is that he did make changes, both during and in advance of games in League 1, but since we came up, that element has gone and hes returned to what the Dee fans warned us about. Is it fear of failure and defeat in a harder league? No idea but it was what I liked about him initially and now it's gone.

If it doesn't return, then aye he has to go as well.

2 hours ago, BPM said:

Nonsense. Brentford have invested millions in how they identify and target players. No club in Scotland could afford to do it like they do. 
The only long term approach that will work in Scotland is investment in youth (at a level your club can afford) and supplement with a good scouting system to identify players to play in the first team who have a sell on value. Falkirk IMO are now going about this correctly. We have a few promising modern apprentices from our small academy of which we may get a couple into the first team squad in the next year or so and 4 or 5 first team players with sell on value. Adams, Morrison, Tait, MacIver etc… 

The players you mention of value there were all taken from other clubs, which seemed to be part of the strategy the poster was suggesting. We've done similar, sold Devenny to Crystal Palace a year after Killie released him, and would imagine McMaster and Hancock will follow soon. Early days but would hope a couple of our new signings will do similar. I don't think anyone would disagree that clubs need to sell young players, the question is is it worth clubs at this level building up an Academy and having multiple youth teams. Or by-passing that, let bigger clubs do the work and just hand pick the best of the released players in their late teens/early twenties - like it seems Falkirk are doing.

The youth system is so saturated at the top level, and most of the clubs so close geographically, that getting access to really talented youngsters as a lower league club without them being snapped up by bigger clubs is becoming increasingly difficult/impossible. I like the idea of a youth team around 18/20s age group to supplement the first team squad, and if you get the odd gem it's a bonus, but the idea of basing your future first team on academy graduates like Dunfermline seemed to be hoping for is pie in the sky stuff.

54 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You don't seem to have a lot of spare cash at the moment if you can't afford a club doctor and a goalie.

Don't know what kind of contract McPake is on but you would need to pay him off and find more funds for the new guy

8 hours ago, HoBNob said:

The Brentford model is absolutely the way to go for teams at our level, it could be argued that Raith are doing that already. They don't have a youth academy, they have however signed the likes of Gibson as young players they can develop and sell on. 

No academy, but there is the Community Foundation who have a youth side.

Several Foundation players contributed to the side that played this week against Kirkcaldy and Dysart, one of whom recently turned down the offer to sign for the Pars.

The idea of finding Otoo and KRH in the Celtic and Sevco B squads is exactly what we should be doing. 

Building an expensively run academy in our environment is madness. Especially as we're currently a Championship side that continously flirts with The Seaside

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You don't seem to have a lot of spare cash at the moment if you can't afford a club doctor and a goalie.

Don't know what kind of contract McPake is on but you would need to pay him off and find more funds for the new guy

There are funds for a new keeper though. They've just been shit and weird about it.

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You don't seem to have a lot of spare cash at the moment if you can't afford a club doctor

If this was true we wouldn’t be able to play in the SPFL

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The idea of finding Otoo and KRH in the Celtic and Sevco B squads is exactly what we should be doing.

And Fisher.

Is it not possible to do both? Pick up the best from the bigger clubs whilst bringing through your own? Add in a few experienced heads and jobs a gid ane?

Why are we overcomplicating things?

3 hours ago, BPM said:

These chancers get opportunities when you have majority shareholders who are not supporters and the current majority shareholder gets bored, runs out of cash, have been in too long. Raith under you current set up are just as vulnerable to that as Dunfermline are now. If fans get high on the short term cash and promises of people in control of their club without broader strong shareholding from the wider support clubs will always be vulnerable to these types getting a hold. 

2 of the investors on the Raith board are lifelong supporters though

27 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You don't seem to have a lot of spare cash at the moment if you can't afford a club doctor. 

We only know about the doctor situation at Livingston because in his post-match McPake said we didn't have one there and he didn't know why. What do you know that he doesn't? 

5 minutes ago, par-adise said:

We only know about the doctor situation at Livingston because in his post-match McPake said we didn't have one there and he didn't know why. What do you know that he doesn't? 

I thought the doctor situation had been explained? ie there was no obligation for us to have a club doctor at the game? Or am I misremembering?

Not wanting to derail this into a chat about Rovers but, although there is no denying that the new owners at Starks have invested a fair bit it has also resulted in a significant increase in money coming into the club via a range of sources. There is nothing to suggest that we are losing money at the minute and by all accounts seem to be doing better off the park than on it.

Surely this is a decent opportunity for the Pars to get some good guys in?