Walking Down The Halbeath Road

It didn't defy logic at all. Millen has far better positional sense defensively and there isn't much between them in attack - one can go past opponents at will but usually puts a poor ball in at the end of it while the other puts plenty of good crosses in from deep positions. Depending on the game and the situation in that game, either of the two might be the better option.

People who relentlessly slag off Ross Millen, particularly those who continually shout at him to take a man on, generally give me the impression of knowing nothing about football. The shape of the team is completely different when the ball goes wide to Millen than when it goes wide to Williamson - Williamson gets cover because his main threat is going on a run past his man, while Millen is usually left with no cover because the team and management know that his main threat is in putting good bals in from deep. It's blatantly obvious and it annoys me that so many are too stupid to see that.

Regardless of that though, obviously it's good that Ryan Williamson is getting back to fitness as he can be a ueful option to have in the team.

It didn't defy logic at all. Millen has far better positional sense defensively and there isn't much between them in attack - one can go past opponents at will but usually puts a poor ball in at the end of it while the other puts plenty of good crosses in from deep positions. Depending on the game and the situation in that game, either of the two might be the better option.

People who relentlessly slag off Ross Millen, particularly those who continually shout at him to take a man on, generally give me the impression of knowing nothing about football. The shape of the team is completely different when the ball goes wide to Millen than when it goes wide to Williamson - Williamson gets cover because his main threat is going on a run past his man, while Millen is usually left with no cover because the team and management know that his main threat is in putting good bals in from deep. It's blatantly obvious and it annoys me that so many are too stupid to see that.

Regardless of that though, obviously it's good that Ryan Williamson is getting back to fitness as he can be a ueful option to have in the team.

Utterly disagree. No idea where this idea Millen is a good defender has come from. He's not. Williamson isn't much of an improvement at the back of course. Going forward though, Williamson is leaps and bounds better. I remember the game at EEP against Forfar last season when they ended up with three men marking him because they were so worried about his runs up the right hand side.

He's got a long way to go but he's by far got the biggest potential at the club IMO. His final delivery needs to become more consistent and he needs to improve significantly at the back. Biggest thing for me though, is he's exciting to watch. He gets you off your seat, which is incredibly rare watching the Pars these days.

I could understand people defending if he was this solid, 7/10's every week kind of guy but he just isn't. His delivery, despite what people say, is fairly shite. He's not good at the back, he's not quick. his positional sense isn't great and he often gives away possession. I think sometimes people think the way to speak sense about football is just to take the opposite view from the majority. I just honestly can't understand people who would pick Millen over Williamson when both are match fit. It's like when people on this thread tried to explain how Chris Smith was as good as Paul Gallacher. It's just nonsense.

I really respect what socks posts usually but I don't agree about Millen.

Watch the highlights of the Airdrie away game to see his postional sense at the back. If he is ever in the right position it's because he didn't move out of it in the first place. I think he may have potential to play a centre half as part of a back three but other than that I think he's a good squad player.

I don't agree with the scapegoating he gets though. People forget the penalties and times he's stood up when others took a back seat.

Williamson made the league's team of the year last season (playing less games than Ross in that position) and is included in the 'Ones to Watch' list on STV.

I guess it's all down to opinions, but Williamson is twice the player than Millen is in my eyes.

His delivery is generally not shite, and to suggest it is is the comment of someone who has made their mind up about a player and will not be swayed regardless of what he might do. And his positional sense is pretty good - his best attribute in defence is how well he reads it and gets across to cover his centre half. But no, he's not a great tackler and doesn't have much pace. That's not nonsense - it's a fair assessment based on regularly watching him play, taking note of the good and bad bits in his game just as I do with any other player.

This is twisted logic just so you can complain. He's in the right position because he didn't leave it, well that's clearly good positioning then, it's bad play to leave a good position

It's not twisted logic at all. What happens during an attack is that usually he stays back and is cagey about going too far forward or creating overlaps or space for anyone to pass into. In my opinion that's because he can't get back in time to cover if he does due to lack of pace. It's just bad play all round.

The difference when Williamson plays is like night and day and the entire team gets a lift, yes Williamson has issues too but he's so much better than Millen that there's no arguement if both are fit.

I don't think Millen is terrible though, just frustrating and far too predictable and over cautious at times to be a modern full back.

If he couldn't cross the ball he would be nowhere near league one football.

Edited by D.A.F.C

It's not twisted logic at all. What happens during an attack is that usually he stays back and is cagey about going too far forward or creating overlaps or space for anyone to pass into. In my opinion that's because he can't get back in time to cover if he does due to lack of pace. It's just bad play all round.

You can't bemoan him for a lack of pace and also complain about him adapting his game so that it's not exposed as much. He's got a different skill set to Williamson and rightly plays to his strengths, but for some reason that's seen as a negative

Yes, I clearly meant he never played ever. Don't be so pedantic. JJ, for reasons known only to himself, played Millen ahead of him on many occasions. Defies logic.

Word your posts better if future then.

There will always be a place for both types of fullback in football at any level. Fullbacks can't all be Cafu or even Ivo Den Bieman.

Also, Millens delivery isn't "fairly shite". Pretty silly comment by someone who's clearly made his mind up about a player and refuses to change it. He puts in at least 4 or 5 decent pacy balls every game I've been to this season.

I'd be stunned if Millen ever played at a higher level than Dunfermline. I'd be even more stunned if Williamson didn't. When talking about Millen's delivery, have I missed all these goals we've scored from Millen crosses? He is good on the penalties, always seems confident he's going to score.

Millen has our joint-highest number of assits this season with 6 - alongside the other fans favourite Moffat!

You can't bemoan him for a lack of pace and also complain about him adapting his game so that it's not exposed as much. He's got a different skill set to Williamson and rightly plays to his strengths, but for some reason that's seen as a negative

It's a negative in my opinion because it makes our team unbalanced and too defensive. It seems a bit daft to have an attacking left back and a winger infront of Millen to do his running then get Millen to cross the ball. It's using two players to do the job of one.

As I've said I'm wondering if maybe his best position would be as part of three centre backs possibly dinking balls forward like McCann used to?

Perhaps it's our totally unbalanced and out or sync team and tactics employed sometimes that exposes Millen so much? Some fans at the match need to realise this perhaps?

I would like to see us use a balanced system using attacking full backs. This was used by United against stranraer and they couldn't cope with it.

Word your posts better if future then.

There will always be a place for both types of fullback in football at any level. Fullbacks can't all be Cafu or even Ivo Den Bieman.

Also, Millens delivery isn't "fairly shite". Pretty silly comment by someone who's clearly made his mind up about a player and refuses to change it. He puts in at least 4 or 5 decent pacy balls every game I've been to this season.

You honestly thought I meant Williamson never played at all, ever? Hint of autism if you're taking things that literally. Or you were just being awkward and pedantic, of course.

Also, I must have been looking away on purpose during those games as he's been an empty jersey most of the games I've been to.

Millen has our joint-highest number of assits this season with 6 - alongside the other fans favourite Moffat!

So the guy on nearly every set piece sets up a goal every four games or so? That's superb.

So the guy on nearly every set piece sets up a goal every four games or so? That's superb.

You said you "missed" all the goals he's set up - just pointing out that he's set up more than anyone else (except Moff).

Millen is a totally different player to Williamson despite playing in the same position. For me, Williamson should play every time but I think Millen gets a much harder time of it because he's so different to Williamson's style of play.

I reckon Millen could be a decent Championship player in the future - he's still only 20 years old so has time on his side to improve his game.