Damien Sandow

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this article on Yahoo of all places but the guy actually makes a very good point;

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/wwe-whats-happened-damien-sandow-094300158.html

Over two months ago, when Damien Sandow won the World Heavyweight Championship Money in the Bank briefcase in dramatic fashion, it looked like he was set for a major push and a feud at the top of the card. But then his rivalry with Cody Rhodes was cut surprisingly short when it looked as if they would do battle for a few months until the time was right for Sandow to cash in, and both men were moved on quickly. Soon, Sandow became a jobber to the stars and has even been relegated to wrestling on Superstars of late, and I can't quite fathom out how it's gone so badly for him over the last month.

I think the way WWE are booking Sandow is similar to the way they handled Dolph Ziggler a year ago when he won the same briefcase. Ziggler was also a heel at the time, but I and other fans still cheered for him and the dynamic with Sandow is very different - he's supposed to be a monster heel. From where I see it, WWE are going to knock him down to build him back up, but that doesn't work with heels, especially when they're jobbing to Rob Van Dam in 4 minutes on Smackdown.

I can't see WWE having a problem with Sandow's work. Since the turn of the year, he has improved greatly and become much more aggressive and has developed his character from pure comic foil. Which makes WWE's decision to bury him all the more perplexing. He has been improving all the time and is more over as a heel than guys like Ryback and Alberto Del Rio, yet seen as expendable by management - I think they just don't know what to do with him as of now. To make his cash-in mean something to fans, he needs to be on TV every week, making his presence felt, and that isn't happening right now.

I hope they find something interesting for Sandow to do, because he is a compelling character and I find watching him improve and evolve fascinating. WWE are currently short on top babyfaces and with the likes of Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Big Show, Cody Rhodes and The Miz wrapped up in long term feuds, suitable candidates are hard to come by. I'd like to see him work with Ziggler, but both men need to come off strong and that isn't going to happen if they feud. Most likely, a mid-card feud with someone like Kofi Kingston or Christian is probable, which won't help Sandow in the long run. Sandow has all the capabilities to be a top heel in the WWE, but he has been so badly mishandled of late and if he's buried for too long, he won't ever get back up.

They do that with every MITB holder that isn't Cena or Orton, complete burials until they cash in. Ziggler got it, Bryan got it and now Sandow's getting it (I think Swagger got it too, I'm sketchy on who else has held it for long time, never mind been given the burial treatment). I'm guessing it's so they can pull it out and it'll be like "omg, he's suddenly become good, what a swerve!" when in reality it just makes them look weak.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's really sad to see what's become of Sandow. He's nothing more than a jobber now but despite that he's still far more entertaining than most on the WWE roster. Surely the WWE management have to start taking him more seriously? If not I fear his time with the company could be coming to an end. :(

He's naw a great comedy wrestler, although I'm not sure we've seen him go full blown comedy in an actual match yet, like the way Santino would.

Would be interesting to see if he could take that mantle now that Santino has chucked it. For all of the complaining about Santino's gimmick, including from me, it's something that clearly has a place in WWE, and Sandow could do worse than have that role.

• 1 year later...

It's understandable, but still a missed opportunity.  He's not going to be your next main event star, but not everyone can be, and not everyone should be.  You need to have more than just a ladder to the top titles.  Right now it seems like they push a handful of guys, and the rest are just locked in 50/50 booking if anything at all.  There's no real feuds or stories outwith the titles with a few exceptions.  What's wrong with giving Sandow another mid-card comedy gimmick to add another facet to the 48 hour RAW show? 

He definitely came on in the two years since that bump in the comedy department and unfortunately, it seems that it's not something that WWE want to stick with. He was never going to be a top guy, and nor should he have been. Comedy guys don't really have much shelf life at the top. But he probably should have been in the midcard for years to come. Fans liked him and he did that job better than many.

• 3 months later...

Archived